Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Oil Temp (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/1141996-oil-temp.html)

tinman964 05-07-2019 10:24 PM

Oil Temp

Just got my 964, I noticed the oil temp seems to be running high, this pic is after 20 mins in traffic then on the freeway it just dropped barely below the top white line. Is this normal? https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d89d54788.jpeg

Jmw1234 05-07-2019 10:27 PM

no. shouldn't be running that hot-

tinman964 05-07-2019 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jmw1234 (Post 15825491)
no. shouldn't be running that hot-

Will lack of oil cause it to run hot or more of a oil cooling issue

heliolps2 05-07-2019 10:47 PM

Try tapping the gauge. it could be a faulty gauge

Goughary 05-07-2019 11:52 PM

Your resister may be dead on the oil cooler in the front right fender. Make sure that fan is turning on. Most likely it's not.

Also, if you have the engine tray on, take that off.

I had a mouse nest in the cavity by my front oil cooler. Little bugger packed a ton of material in there and i had virtually zero airflow through the cooler, and i still ran cooler than that. So im guessing your oil cooler isn't functioning.

You could also check to see that the thermostat is working and opens at a certain temperature-should open well below that level and allow oil to circulate to the front and back to the rear.

tinman964 05-08-2019 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Goughary (Post 15825676)
Your resister may be dead on the oil cooler in the front right fender. Make sure that fan is turning on. Most likely it's not.

Also, if you have the engine tray on, take that off.

I had a mouse nest in the cavity by my front oil cooler. Little bugger packed a ton of material in there and i had virtually zero airflow through the cooler, and i still ran cooler than that. So im guessing your oil cooler isn't functioning.

You could also check to see that the thermostat is working and opens at a certain temperature-should open well below that level and allow oil to circulate to the front and back to the rear.

I don’t think the fan is working, I’ll get that and the thermostat checked out. Thanks.

ffc 05-08-2019 04:50 AM

You can tell if the thermostat is working by feeling the front right fender when the car has run for a bit. You can feel the warmth of the oil pipes through the fender which means the thermostat has opened and oil is getting to the cooler.

cjoenck 05-08-2019 10:46 AM

The oil cooler fan is managed through the CCU so that is another part to check. You can simulate the temp sensor in the oil cooler with a temporary variable resistor. If the CCU works, the fan should come on when you increase resistance first on low and then high. You can also take the sensor out and measure resistance as you place it into hot water.
Finally, some have switched to a manual solution. If you put a switch into the circuit you can force the fan to high. There is also a way to add a resistor so the fan comes on earlier. An number of great write ups here will help you.

Advman89 05-08-2019 11:50 AM

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...ubleshoot2.htm

cjoenck 05-08-2019 11:58 AM

Thank you. That's the one I was thinking of but couldn't find in a hurry. Need to bookmark that one.

Spyerx 05-08-2019 01:02 PM

--that is WAY too high. What was the ambient temperature?
--the fan will turn on about 10 o clock. Similar to if you turn on AC, if you reach down under the car. you can feel the air blowing down.
--as mentioned the CCU (climate control) controls the fan operation. Check: resistor, sensor in the oil take.
--check your oil lines to the front are warm, and that oil is flowing to front oil cooler
--when driving your will even in warm temps should be no more than 9 o'clock or so (mine never runs much above the first white line but I have a 2nd cooler)
--ensure the cooler is clean, free of debris, and, the foam parts in the bumper (likely disintegrated) are replaced, they help air flow through the cooler

Regarding modding the front sensor, this is a very simple process to wire in a resistor in parallel to the sensor. I have pictures of this in my build thread in the Links in my signature. This allows the fan to turn on at a lower temperature (around 9 o'clock)

So what I'd do, to check:
1. ensure oil is flowing to the front cooler when car is warmed up (just check lines temp)
2. Ensure cooler is free of debris and clean
3. Ensure foam pieces in place
4. check operation of supplemental fan
5. once fan is confirmed working, modify the sensor to turn on at a lower temp

jimq 05-08-2019 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Spyerx (Post 15826726)
--that is WAY too high. …………….
Regarding modding the front sensor, this is a very simple process to wire in a resistor in parallel to the sensor. I have pictures of this in my build thread in the Links in my signature. This allows the fan to turn on at a lower temperature (around 9 o'clock)

I was looking in your thread for the resistor addition and after going through it for at least 10 minutes cant find the post. Do yopu know what #post it is in the thread?
thanks

Spyerx 05-08-2019 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by jimq (Post 15826926)
I was looking in your thread for the resistor addition and after going through it for at least 10 minutes cant find the post. Do yopu know what #post it is in the thread?
thanks

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post13865397

Kappi2907 05-08-2019 03:00 PM

Is your nickname Kitno on Porscheforum.nl?

tinman964 05-09-2019 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Spyerx (Post 15826726)
--that is WAY too high. What was the ambient temperature?
--the fan will turn on about 10 o clock. Similar to if you turn on AC, if you reach down under the car. you can feel the air blowing down.
--as mentioned the CCU (climate control) controls the fan operation. Check: resistor, sensor in the oil take.
--check your oil lines to the front are warm, and that oil is flowing to front oil cooler
--when driving your will even in warm temps should be no more than 9 o'clock or so (mine never runs much above the first white line but I have a 2nd cooler)
--ensure the cooler is clean, free of debris, and, the foam parts in the bumper (likely disintegrated) are replaced, they help air flow through the cooler

So what I'd do, to check:
1. ensure oil is flowing to the front cooler when car is warmed up (just check lines temp)
2. Ensure cooler is free of debris and clean
3. Ensure foam pieces in place
4. check operation of supplemental fan
5. once fan is confirmed working, modify the sensor to turn on at a lower temp

Thanks for all the great tips. Ambient temp was only around 70F. I don’t feel the warmth on the front right fender so that could be the problem. Drove the car from LA to SF and the needle was at the 10 o’clock range the entire trip, hope it didn’t do too much harm. I will take it to the mechanic next week as I am not too mechanically skillful... unless anyone in the SF wants to help me. I was hoping to do my first mod, not my first repair haha. Thanks all for the input.