Sponsored by:

My first Engine Drop

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 12:36 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

Nice job!

I think you just saved about 9 thousand dollars.

Should make you feel good!

Truth be known, i was hoping to not hear "you just made me spend all this money for nothing"...lol.

That said- now I'm panicking again about mine, that has not been done...and it won't be until my next clutch job...so maybe I'll go ride my clutch more when i go to work in the morning. And speed that up...
Old 05-22-2019, 01:22 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Nice job!

I think you just saved about 9 thousand dollars.

Should make you feel good!

Truth be known, i was hoping to not hear "you just made me spend all this money for nothing"...lol.

That said- now I'm panicking again about mine, that has not been done...and it won't be until my next clutch job...so maybe I'll go ride my clutch more when i go to work in the morning. And speed that up...
In hindsight the security of knowing the planetary pins are secure is worth the effort, especially with the slight movement in one of the pins. The welding was only $40, the rest is all well being to my enjoyment time of DIY. (Hopefully I can get it back together LOL.)
Old 05-22-2019, 01:30 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

More parts arrived. Installation of the clutch release bearing raised a a question with the thrust washer including a tab that runs between the pressure plate fingers. This differs from the WSM for the 964. Looks like it is a change from a bit of research.

Sachs clutch. A move away from the rubber Centre clutch.

Pressure plate with bearing installed

Thrust washer with the tab.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:56 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

New FVD sport transmission bush installed.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:05 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

And while you are there...powder coat the rear & front tin and Zn plating of some hardware.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:34 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Put the planetary gear back in with the clutch pack. Not 100% sure about the tab between inner plate 3 & 4. Everything points that the tabs go through oil holes inner plate 4? Anybody?

Everything else straight forward. The spiral moving out anti-clockwise, and oil holes line up on the inner plates.

Old 05-27-2019, 02:31 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went back and looked at my Planetary thread;
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...nored-not.html

and I was careful to lay down the the clutch pack as removed. I note that ring that goes through the pack discs is not at the very end as the PET diagram shows in my thread. I also note I had four friction discs and the PET show three? Think I read somewhere, perhaps a Tech Note from Porsche that disc count changed at some point? The PET shows ring in question on very end? If you place on end to go through all discs, does it rub on anything? The implication is if between disc three and four, last disc would float against backside of planetary carrier?
Old 05-27-2019, 05:17 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4inLA
I just went back and looked at my Planetary thread;
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...nored-not.html

and I was careful to lay down the the clutch pack as removed. I note that ring that goes through the pack discs is not at the very end as the PET diagram shows in my thread. I also note I had four friction discs and the PET show three? Think I read somewhere, perhaps a Tech Note from Porsche that disc count changed at some point? The PET shows ring in question on very end? If you place on end to go through all discs, does it rub on anything? The implication is if between disc three and four, last disc would float against backside of planetary carrier?
Thanks for the reply. I am still using the Gylon inner plates and there are 7 (1989 C4). The Pet diagram you refer is for the Valeo where there are 4(?) plates. The WSM is specific that the tab washer goes between #3 and #4. However, I am interested if there was a TSB to move it to a different order?

Old 05-27-2019, 09:26 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Very interesting. On post #8 of my thread, the (B) section I noted is closer to mine but I had 4 not 3 of the Valeo discs and the fat metal disc #46, IIRC correctly butted up against the planetary carrier directly? Seems the factory building of a clutch pack can have variations. When time permits, gonna see if I have different pics of my work.

So, did you have the last friction disc mate to planetary carrier? Mine is not that way and the fat #46 metal spacer mates to carrier.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:28 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Very interesting. On post #8 of my thread, the (B) section I noted is closer to mine but I had 4 not 3 of the Valeo discs and the fat metal disc #46, IIRC correctly butted up against the planetary carrier directly? Seems the factory building of a clutch pack can have variations. When time permits, gonna see if I have different pics of my work.

So, did you have the last friction disc mate to planetary carrier? Mine is not that way and the fat #46 metal spacer mates to carrier.
It is interesting. It looks like the later version with Valeo plates uses that fat washer #46 to take up the space due to fewer friction plates. Yes, on mine the last Gylon friction plate sits on top of the planetary carrier. It appears to me the tab washer slots into the grove on the sun wheel #17 and then locks the next friction plate. It also positions the sun wheel inside the stack.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:38 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

New gasket & new seals, and about to close up...

Old 05-28-2019, 06:06 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

This cross sectional diagram helps me solve the tab spring washer #5 positioning albeit for the Valeo plates. It does lock into the groove on the sun gear then the tabs go through the next fiction plate.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:33 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

That is where I saw the diagram, in the transmission WSM. Good to see it matches my photo when I layered things out on the workbench. Matches number of discs too. Guess the fat #46 disc deserves a proper technical name, such as, “Wave disc” ?... Only fitting that as Engineers built this Analog car, they penciled diagrams in Analog :-/. Thanks for the info.

Congrats, you just paid for a nice lift and small bathroom remodel....
Old 07-04-2019, 03:11 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

A month travelling overseas, so no progress until today. Transmission complete. Planetary installed, new gaskets and seals. A 7/10 clean up of the case. Now a few jobs on the engine, before installing new clutch et al and mating the transmission.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:32 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

New power steering belt fitted. A while you are there job. Old belt a little worn compared to the new belt, but it would have been Ok. A little bit of a strain to get the new belt fitted, but with enough of the belt on the PS pulley, then turn the engine the belt creeped on.

Quick Reply: My first Engine Drop