Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Engine Drop

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 02:45 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

This is far as I am going, on the engine. Tin & shields off, exhaust off. From here I can check the valves, renew the chain cover gaskets, replace the RMS seal. Now I need to order the clutch et al and transmission mount. I need to research the planetary while I am in there option.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:41 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

A light grind of the flywheel and mating surface. Removal of the transmission mount bearing. Sport 85a rubber bearing ordered.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:42 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,825 Likes on 1,791 Posts

Front seal is pretty easy while the engine is out.
Lots of us here also grind off part of the AC mount so there is more accessibility with the engine IN.
Looks like fun.

Power steering belt and some real PITA seals back there are also easy to get to while out.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:06 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
Front seal is pretty easy while the engine is out.
Lots of us here also grind off part of the AC mount so there is more accessibility with the engine IN.
Looks like fun.

Power steering belt and some real PITA seals back there are also easy to get to while out.
Thanks, the PS belt and seals are on the list. The planet gear is my only real deliberation.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:57 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

Don't deliberate on the planetary gear. Just open the front and pull that out. Take a look at some of the threads where it failed. It's a silly design. Those pins being just peened in place is a disaster waiting to happen. Soooooo, you are right there....I would do it. Cost is almost zero...cost of not and having a failure???? Huge.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:15 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Goughary
Don't deliberate on the planetary gear. Just open the front and pull that out. Take a look at some of the threads where it failed. It's a silly design. Those pins being just peened in place is a disaster waiting to happen. Soooooo, you are right there....I would do it. Cost is almost zero...cost of not and having a failure???? Huge.
G, There you go, I thought you have to go in from the back !! I have read failure threads, but no dismantling DIYs (that I can find) and the manual is not the best. I'll figure it out.. did you do your wrenching or did you outsource that part? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:13 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Mine hasn't been done. But we had a car into a shop not long ago, and i had them pull it. When you take the nose cone off the front of the trans, it's right there.

Anyway if you get in there, and everything goes wrong. And all is lost. And it can't go back together....PM me, I'll give you my cell number and you can call and let me have it. I can take it.

I'm also, fwiw, very good at apologizing. Seems i have to do that quite often in life...

Old 05-08-2019, 03:48 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Mine hasn't been done. But we had a car into a shop not long ago, and i had them pull it. When you take the nose cone off the front of the trans, it's right there.

Anyway if you get in there, and everything goes wrong. And all is lost. And it can't go back together....PM me, I'll give you my cell number and you can call and let me have it. I can take it.

I'm also, fwiw, very good at apologizing. Seems i have to do that quite often in life...

G, It is going to happen, just don't want to take the "fire, aim...ready" approach. If it all goes to crap, you are lucky New Zealand doesn't have any inter-continental missiles...actually we don't have anything that could do harm. Oh we do have the worse sand flys on the west coast !
Old 05-10-2019, 05:32 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Default The Prize: Planet Wheel Carrier

After a lot of research I finally reached the infamous Planet Wheel Carrier. There is not much out there in the DIY of this removal and the WSM is a difficult interpretation. So for my records and others here is my sequence.

Drian the oil. I then reinserted the drain plug with a new crusher washer and torqued back up to 30NM. (better to do now, lest we forget).

To remove the transfer case you need to remove the eccentric cover and bush.

It is worthwhile noting that on assembly the eccentric bush has to be adjusted so that preselection of all gears is without resistance. I practiced this prior to starting. Insert a long M8 bolt into the selector rod to enable an easy action. See WSM 34-8

Remove the eccentric plate and bush. I marked the bolt and cover.

Undo the cover nuts.

Gently pull the transfer case back (don't forget to remove the bolt in the selector rod)

Carefully remove the clutch pack, and the prize is there.

Clutch pack.

And the Planet gear below. All the pins in place, and all that worry for nothing! I will get them spot welded...

Last edited by Spokes; 05-10-2019 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Updated.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:53 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Rock on! Good job....

Thanks for the pics. Very cool. I had no idea you were in New Zealand- aren't their quite a few New Zealanders on rennlist w 964?

Anyway...love the thread. And the willingness to dive in. Great stuff.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:39 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Wink

Rock on! Good job....

Thanks for the pics. Very cool. I had no idea you were in New Zealand- aren't their quite a few New Zealanders on rennlist w 964?

Anyway...love the thread. And the willingness to dive in. Great stuff.
G, Thanks. There are few 964ers in NZ, and even fewer manuals, mainly Tips.

Of course I have to get it back together Waiting for parts now. One of the small downsides of living in NZ, parts have to be sourced from US or Europe.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:14 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Thought I would do something less technical...even fitting a new sound pad with the engine out is a PIA. If you think you can fit one with the engine in, you are better person than me !!

Old 05-11-2019, 01:51 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,825 Likes on 1,791 Posts

Dont know if its been mentioned, but I had one heck of a time reattaching thethrottle cable after the motor was back in. Was on the verge of partially dropping it.

Extremely frustrating and hand traumatizing. Think its easier to attach with the motor still dropped a little.

Good luck.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:37 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
Dont know if its been mentioned, but I had one heck of a time reattaching thethrottle cable after the motor was back in. Was on the verge of partially dropping it.

Extremely frustrating and hand traumatizing. Think its easier to attach with the motor still dropped a little.

Good luck.
BHMav8r, thanks, I read your issue with the cable. I am sure there will be many little blips along the refit. Working on a 911 is both very satisfying and frustrating at times.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:05 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Content of this thread looks familiar. Nice job. I inspected my transmission mount bushing and saw no visible damage, left it alone. If I had known that it popped out, would have replaced while there. I see tabs on bushing, is that what holds it in place? Easy to press out?

Regarding throttle cable, I did this way, very easy... Checkout #22 and #23 from Recardo’s thread ...

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ild-diy-2.html

Last edited by C4inLA; 05-12-2019 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: My first Engine Drop