Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems after running car with kinked Oil Return line.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 04:45 PM
Maxpowers2k
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problems after running car with kinked Oil Return line.

Porsche 964 91, 120k Miles. No problems whatsoever until I replaced all oil lines because they were lightly leaking oil, from Oil filter to thermostat( Return line) and both to front oil cooler.
I noticed the Oil return line from the oil filter was kinked( later found out this was a common problem with aftermarket hoses), and thought it might unkink if i ran the car.
Ran the car until warmed up to 8oclock when it started smoking massive plumes of smoke. Shut of the car, Oil was coming out of the intake at that point.
Hose kink is fixed now but...
Starting the car cold now is almost clean, with a huge puff of smoke sometimes, idle starts at 4 bar as it warms up goes down to 2. Tried to go for a drive and about 5 minutes into it, started smoking plumes again, engine almost stalled. Let the car cool and drove right back.
Has anyone else experienced or heard of anyone running with a restricted Oil return line, trying to think what kind of damage is possible, planning a leak down test now.

Last edited by Maxpowers2k; 04-21-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:54 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you do an oil change, and if so, how much oil did you put in. It sounds to me like you have overfilled the oil tank. Warm the car up on level ground, so the temp is at 9 o'clock and then check your dipstick, should show somewhere in the middle of the two marks.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:51 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

the engine may be over filled in the block. I would drain the engine first.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:58 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wallra
the engine may be over filled in the block. I would drain the engine first.
How do you overfill the engine in the block ?. This is a dry sump setup with a scavenge pump that pumps the oil back to the tank. If you overfill the oil/tank you will get oil in the intake.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:24 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

some times when this cars sit the oil will flow from the tank to the block. but in your case you say the oil return line was pinched I'm just thinking maybe you should make sure all the oil didn't just go to the engine. even though it's a dry sump the engine still has at least 2 qts in the case

Quick Reply: Problems after running car with kinked Oil Return line.