Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying but...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 02:42 AM
jfig
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying but...

I’m looking for my first Porsche, a 964 Cab with rear seats.

I found one far from me but with a great color combo 75k miles. Car looks great. Before 50k miles
Regularly serviced according to car fax. Since it crossed 50k in 05 it’s had two owners but limited service records. Oil changes, brake fluidost years but nothing else since 05. Seller says repaint of hood performed by prior owner due to stone chips but no other repaint. Top replaced by prior owner. Seller represents no oil leaks and runs great.

Other facts is it’s got a aftermarket muffler, k&N filter, replacement inflator kit.

Should I pay for the PPI? Or too many unknowns?

Thank you!
Jonas
Old 04-20-2019, 02:50 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

If the car is in good cosmetic condition and the top is functioning without issue then the only thing that needs to be confirmed is the mechanical condition. Any discoveries/issues can be negotatied during purchase assuming the car checks out. You noted the hood was resprayed but the rest is original, is this based on paint meter or just the sellers words?

If the car appears to be in rough shape and neglected then let it go.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:55 AM
jfig
AutoX

Thanks Marine! I'll need the PPI for the paint meter to confirm what seller said about hood being only piece. Car looks in very good cosmetic condition.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:45 PM
jfig
AutoX

I have now learned it is missing the engine underbelly pan. given I'll will be driving a bit on dirt I am thinking I will need to have one put on. any estimate on cost? Other than cost is this a yellow or red flag? Thank you!
Jonas
Old 04-20-2019, 05:02 PM
peterpullin
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

better to see what you buy. the undertray collects any oil you can see now. engine will be little cooler without this part.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:18 PM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by jfig
I have now learned it is missing the engine underbelly pan. given I'll will be driving a bit on dirt I am thinking I will need to have one put on. any estimate on cost? Other than cost is this a yellow or red flag? Thank you!
Jonas
Dont run it with engine tray imo. I never have.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying but...