Major bucking on reinstalled engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 01:14 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Major bucking on reinstalled engine

Just reinstalled the engine in my 964 and dropping it to grease the clutch input splines, install a LWF, adjust the valves and install new plugs and wires.

Prior to dropping the engine ran great but the clutch was sticking.

After reinstalling the engine this evening, car started great this evening and settled into a decent idea after a few seconds of hunting. Once the oil warmed up I gave it a few 2k - 3k revs and things seemed fine. Went out for a quick drive and after getting out of our long driveway (downhill) and getting onto the gas to pull out the engine starts a major bucking episode. Stop and it dies. Restarts and idle is fine. Get going again and once past 1500 or so major bucking starts again. Get back to the garage by crawling the car at idle speed.

Once in the garage it's idling fine again. I give it a few spirited revs and she revs great with the LWF even up to about 5k or so.

Idle is fine. Revving is fine but big time bucking when under load.

What should I check?
Old 04-16-2019, 10:47 AM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I had the same problem with a loose ground....
Old 04-16-2019, 11:52 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Have you double checked all the electrical and vacuum connections?
Old 04-16-2019, 02:01 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Thanks guys.

Looks like I had two issues...

First, I had a poor ground issue I think since the engine chiming was very fast. Removed and cleaned the ground strap going from the body to the lower nut mounting the starter to the bell housing. The chiming went back to the normal cadence.

The second issue is embarrassing... I had the ignition leads going from the coils to distributor crossed. I'm surprised the engine idled and revved as well as it did. Apparently, am an idiot and shouldn't be trusted with even menial tasks... I swear when I looked at the sticker above the engine fan the right distributor was #1 and the lower one was #2.

What's odd is that the ignition leads supplied as part of the new plug wire kit has the shorter wire labelled as #1 and the longer wire labeled as #2. I think it's a bit tight that way, I'll have to swap them (basically have the wire marked #2 go from the #1 coil to the #1 distributor, etc.).

She's purring like a champ now... Feel great to have a clutch that doesn't stick!

Last edited by johnsopa; 04-16-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:03 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Glad you have it sorted.

Quick Reply: Major bucking on reinstalled engine