Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best headers / exhaust combination

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 12:31 PM
Moriartyhlms
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

There was a good exhaust thread on here several months ago: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...k-exhaust.html
The consensus was that the smart money is in stock headers, sport cat or delete, and a primary bypass “cup” pipe. All of the aftermarket dual outlet set-ups seem to drone between 2k and 3k (including my Billy Boat) and offer no or negligible performance gains over the mostly stock combination I mentioned. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:04 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Moriartyhlms
There was a good exhaust thread on here several months ago: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...k-exhaust.html
The consensus was that the smart money is in stock headers, sport cat or delete, and a primary bypass “cup” pipe. All of the aftermarket dual outlet set-ups seem to drone between 2k and 3k (including my Billy Boat) and offer no or negligible performance gains over the mostly stock combination I mentioned. Good luck.
Thanks for that Moriartyhlms,

Interesting to hear experienced drivers like you, Cobalt and Spartansix all opting for the stock headers. I’m running with the cat delete/secondary muffler delete with the Wong chip, but was looking for some additional gain at the low end and some weight savings. I’d certainly hate to throw $4,500 at the exhaust and see no gain.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:02 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 179 Posts

My car came with a full Billy Boat with dual out. I loved the sound above 3k but I couldn’t handle the massive drone between 2-3k anymore.

I went back to a stock system with a race cat and j pipe. Just drove it home today and wow. The sound is perfect now and no drone. If there was any loss of power, I can barely tell.

I love this car so hard.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:05 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
Fabspeed’s exhaust is junk. If you’ve got the money for theirs, then you should be able to spend an extra grand and buy the best that’s made buy M&M in Germany and used by the factory race teams.
Segmented Welded, not mandrel bent. Best money can buy.
Our primary tubing is segmented and welded under pressure with the use of forming gas. Forming gas actually pressurizes the area being welded to create a smooth inner surface. This means that material walls in the bend are consistent and strong, ensuring reliability. But we don’t stop there, once the segmenting is completed, a tool is passed inside the header, which will actually grinds away any left-over slag. This process produces extremely durable headers with superior strength that ensures higher gas velocity and less exhaust gas restriction.”

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/RES9640000...hout-heat.html
Superlative construction, outstanding! My MY 90 964 is currently set up with the FVD cat bypass and secondary muffler delete and the Steve Wong chip. If I swapped over to the FVD Cat Bypass Dual Outlet with Heat will there be noticeable gains? Would I need a different chip? And how is the heat? It’s cold here in New England! Thanks in advance, I’m very grateful to have such knowledgeable folks contributing to the conversation.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:27 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

I can tell you the FVD cat by pass has very little heat. and I live in Rhode Island, so I know what you mean about needing heat. If I did it again I would get the cats for better heat. all I can say everyone who hears my car loves the sound. I can't compare it to any other exhaust system other than removing the cat and secondary muffler with steve wong chip. This system is much better than that was. think about it the stock system go's two into one this system is duel exhaust so it a much better flowing system. I no longer use the chip because I've went with stand alone with coils on plugs. opened up the intake by removing the air flow meter, next will be the GT3 intake with ITB's. we see what that does.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:39 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wallra
I can tell you the FVD cat by pass has very little heat. and I live in Rhode Island, so I know what you mean about needing heat. If I did it again I would get the cats for better heat. all I can say everyone who hears my car loves the sound. I can't compare it to any other exhaust system other than removing the cat and secondary muffler with steve wong chip. This system is much better than that was. think about it the stock system go's two into one this system is duel exhaust so it a much better flowing system. I no longer use the chip because I've went with stand alone with coils on plugs. opened up the intake by removing the air flow meter, next will be the GT3 intake with ITB's. we see what that does.
Thanks Wallra, that’s great feedback! I’m told that the Fabspeed headers also provide very little heat. It sounds like you went from my existing setup to the FVD cat bypass with heat. I’d really welcome a chance to see and hear that set-up. If you’re planning any car and coffee events, or would like to meet down in Rhode Island one of these weekends. please just let me know. I haven’t done any CC events in quite a while. I see PCA SOBO is having a cars and coffee this Sunday at The Moose Cafe in Tiverton RI. It’s a fun group, but the forecast is for rain.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:03 AM
Dtronics
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
Thanks Wallra, that’s great feedback! I’m told that the Fabspeed headers also provide very little heat. It sounds like you went from my existing setup to the FVD cat bypass with heat. I’d really welcome a chance to see and hear that set-up. If you’re planning any car and coffee events, or would like to meet down in Rhode Island one of these weekends. please just let me know. I haven’t done any CC events in quite a while. I see PCA SOBO is having a cars and coffee this Sunday at The Moose Cafe in Tiverton RI. It’s a fun group, but the forecast is for rain.
I live in RI too. Is that CC a regular occurrence?
Old 04-13-2019, 11:07 AM
wallra
Pro

the first C&C in new canaan ct is tomorrow. I don't know If you ever been to that C&C but it's 1000 plus cars. the only thing is you need to get there early by 7:00am so that means leaving westerly by 5:00 am. two years ago Porsche was the featured car their were 300 plus. some thing to see some time. some real high end cars come. you'll see 3 singers here.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:12 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dtronics
I live in RI too. Is that CC a regular occurrence?
Yes Sir, PCA NER has a solid constituency from south of Boston. The so-called SoBo group meets regularly, the favorite spot being Sweetberry Farm. The events are posted on the PCA NER Event Calendar.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:32 AM
Dtronics
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

the first C&C in new canaan ct is tomorrow. I don't know If you ever been to that C&C but it's 1000 plus cars. the only thing is you need to get there early by 7:00am so that means leaving westerly by 5:00 am. two years ago Porsche was the featured car their were 300 plus. some thing to see some time. some real high end cars come. you'll see 3 singers here.
I’ve heard of this but didn’t realize it was that large of a gathering. I’ll have to go to one this spring/summer now that it’s finally starting to get nice out.

Originally Posted by Foxman
Yes Sir, PCA NER has a solid constituency from south of Boston. The so-called SoBo group meets regularly, the favorite spot being Sweetberry Farm. The events are posted on the PCA NER Event Calendar.
Awesome, thanks! I’ll plan to attend the next one.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:43 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

New Canaan sounds great, but a bit too too early and too far for me for Sunday. But I’m glad that you mentioned Westerly. I have a good frIend there who lives just a few blocks from the beach. He is a real Porsche enthusiast. There are some great bars down there as well. I see a road trip in the near future.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:42 PM
wallra
Pro

when ever you down here let me know. I'm also one of those guy's that don't mind driving. here is new canaan to check out caffeineandcarburetors.com/?utm_source=C%26C%20This%20Sunday%20at%20Waveny%20Park%20and%20we%20have %20T-Shirts%21%20&utm_campaign=C%26C%20This%20Sunday%20at%20Waveny%20Park%20a nd%20we%20have%20T-Shirts%21%20&utm_medium=email
Old 04-15-2019, 11:36 AM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts

Thank you!

Old 09-16-2023, 11:08 AM
escar0le
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

quick resurrection of what I am assured is a dead post.
1. how is it that the stock 964 set up is so good when the vast HP gains seen in the 993 cars had to do with a less restrictive exhaust set up? just curious
2. also above someone asked who does the singer exhaust set up, anyone know ?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2023, 12:02 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi,
I read a lot of good things about the 993 exhaust system.
I am going a head with the agarvation of fitting a 993 catless exhaust, I bought both X and cross pipes (second hand) to test fit, and the early ovale merge headers with heat.
I will start with standart Mufflers but may convert them to RSRs.
I sent my right headers to turn arround the flanges, once everything will be bolted in place, I need to think of ideas to connect some hoses for the heat.
What I also like about this exhaust is that the weight is spread on both sides and slighly in the car.
The 38 mm ID down pipes seams to be the right size.
It will take me time to complete the work as I am doing a lot of restorations and mods, but will be going on the rollers for a remap and will inform what I found.
Cheers
Konstantin

Quick Reply: Best headers / exhaust combination