RS carpet with rear seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 09:13 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts
Default RS carpet with rear seats

Hello All,

I wonder if this is a dumb question, but I haven't been able to shake the idea, so I guess I'll air it out. Would love to hear if any of you have done anything similar. My car is a 3.8 with RS cams and other track modifications. My ultimate goal is a sport purpose / hotrod build.

My car is black and currently has a cashmere interior. I am planning to convert to a black interior. Also important to me is to retain use of the rear seats for road trips with my daughter. Whenever I change a part of do a modification, I try to lose weight, which is why I'm thinking of an RS carpet kit. I have already installed black RS door cards from Appbiz.

If wanting to retain rear seats, does it make sense at all to attempt an RS interior? Will I need to retain the rear parcel shelf, quarter panel bits, seat backs and cushions (actually, i would need to source black versions of some of those bits)? Has anyone found a way to retain seats with a more minimalist setup?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

B32
Old 03-28-2019, 01:52 AM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts

I have put in the Appbiz RS carpet but kept the rear shelf for now. I closed the bottom cushions and converted them to drop in style. When kids are too big for rear seat, the rear shelf and upper seat-back go away and rear carpet shelf replacement goes in together with half cage.

Hope that helps!
Andrew
Old 03-28-2019, 04:53 AM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I remember seeing this on Ilko's IG account (@ilko44). ... Supposedly a factory built 993 RS with rear seats.

It looks like they carpeted the rear shelf. Not sure how much sound deadening they would keep relative to the full RS delete. If you do carpet on the side like so, definitely try to do it like factory and remove the corresponding brackets, lock-post and remove glass. It looks more clean and proper that way, IMO (assuming the carpet is made authentically).

Old 03-28-2019, 12:56 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACK3.2
... Also important to me is to retain use of the rear seats for road trips with my daughter.
How old/big is she. What do you need to attach back there? Car seat?

If wanting to retain rear seats, does it make sense at all to attempt an RS interior? Will I need to retain the rear parcel shelf, quarter panel bits, seat backs and cushions (actually, i would need to source black versions of some of those bits)? Has anyone found a way to retain seats with a more minimalist setup?
No, you won't need any of the current stock set up and people can fit fine in the back. I might be nice to keep the seat bottoms, or just hid some additional padding under the carpet.

Early on I remove the rear seat uppers. They aren't needed to sit comfortably back there, and needlessly reduce rear seat room. Minus 15 lbs also.

My son years ago. One side has the rear seat upper, the other side is removed. The back back takes up a couple additional inches.

With both seat back uppers removed, someone sitting in the has more room and the ability to sit somewhat more reclined for better headroom. My kids liked this much better.
There's a slight lip that this causes, but it's still very comfortable (more so because of the added space).

Regarding the rear parcel shelf. It's not needed and can be replaced with carpet. That said, I kept mine as it allowed be to hide the hardware to the upper tether system I occasionally used with my kid's booster seats.
After they long passed needing those, I replaced the rear parcel shelf with a homemade panel out of vinyl. Here's a test fit image, after I first installed the panel.
I later made it longer and added a little more padding, basically what you would do with carpet instead.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:22 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Originally Posted by 964Andrew
I have put in the Appbiz RS carpet but kept the rear shelf for now. I closed the bottom cushions and converted them to drop in style. When kids are too big for rear seat, the rear shelf and upper seat-back go away and rear carpet shelf replacement goes in together with half cage.

Hope that helps!
Andrew
Thanks, Andrew. This seems like the most conservative and straightforward solution. Did you keep the 3/4 panels? I can't quite tell from your photos.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:29 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Originally Posted by azander
I remember seeing this on Ilko's IG account (@ilko44). ... Supposedly a factory built 993 RS with rear seats.

It looks like they carpeted the rear shelf. Not sure how much sound deadening they would keep relative to the full RS delete. If you do carpet on the side like so, definitely try to do it like factory and remove the corresponding brackets, lock-post and remove glass. It looks more clean and proper that way, IMO (assuming the carpet is made authentically).

Good recall! And thanks for hunting down that pic.

Does it look like there's some kind of modified shelf in there for passing the seat belts through?
Old 03-29-2019, 01:42 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
How old/big is she. What do you need to attach back there? Car seat?

No, you won't need any of the current stock set up and people can fit fine in the back. I might be nice to keep the seat bottoms, or just hid some additional padding under the carpet.

Early on I remove the rear seat uppers. They aren't needed to sit comfortably back there, and needlessly reduce rear seat room. Minus 15 lbs also.

My son years ago. One side has the rear seat upper, the other side is removed. The back back takes up a couple additional inches.

With both seat back uppers removed, someone sitting in the has more room and the ability to sit somewhat more reclined for better headroom. My kids liked this much better.
There's a slight lip that this causes, but it's still very comfortable (more so because of the added space).

Regarding the rear parcel shelf. It's not needed and can be replaced with carpet. That said, I kept mine as it allowed be to hide the hardware to the upper tether system I occasionally used with my kid's booster seats.
After they long passed needing those, I replaced the rear parcel shelf with a homemade panel out of vinyl. Here's a test fit image, after I first installed the panel.
I later made it longer and added a little more padding, basically what you would do with carpet instead.

Wow, thanks for the detailed feedback. She's seven, and fits very nicely back there right now. She uses a booster, still.

The ergonomics of that "shelf" you mentioned might bother someone on a long trip. I could see making that lip flush by adding sound padding under the carpet. I'd probably also retain the seat bottoms as removable seat bottoms. Though that all seems like a lot of work to go to to replicate a seat back.

Thank you, this information and especially those pictures are so helpful.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:17 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACK3.2
...Does it look like there's some kind of modified shelf in there for passing the seat belts through?
To me, it looks like they covered the standard parcel shelf with the stock RS carpet section instead of vinyl. You can see the edging on the carpet. It is possible they made a unique carpet section, but I bet not. ... I think the belt hole bezels clip in. ... I just can’t see the screw holes that are otherwise visible to mount the shelf. ... I’m guessing the best way to replicate that would be to strip the vinyl and foam from the existing shelf, glue RS carpet to the top section of the shelf, cut holes for belts, and insert the bezels. Then after installing in car, lightly tack the loose front section of the carpet down, thus covering the screws. ... Before you do, just make sure the carpet covers the entire shelf. ... alternatively just retrim the stock shelf in matching carpet without foam.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:31 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Originally Posted by azander
To me, it looks like they covered the standard parcel shelf with the stock RS carpet section instead of vinyl. You can see the edging on the carpet. It is possible they made a unique carpet section, but I bet not. ... I think the belt hole bezels clip in. ... I just can’t see the screw holes that are otherwise visible to mount the shelf. ... I’m guessing the best way to replicate that would be to strip the vinyl and foam from the existing shelf, glue RS carpet to the top section of the shelf, cut holes for belts, and insert the bezels. Then after installing in car, lightly tack the loose front section of the carpet down, thus covering the screws. ... Before you do, just make sure the carpet covers the entire shelf. ... alternatively just retrim the stock shelf in matching carpet without foam.
Good thoughts. I happen to have a spare 964 shelf in the wrong color from a project I never got around to on my previous car (the eponymous Black 3.2). I could strip the vinyl, patch the speaker holes and re-trim with RS carpet. I can work with Appbiz to have them cut me a piece to the right size.

Quick Reply: RS carpet with rear seats