Sponsored by:

WOT power dip issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 10:44 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 178 Posts
Default WOT power dip issue

I'm trying to track down an issue and could use some help. A week ago at the track, and since then, I’ve been hitting a momentary power loss at around 5000 rpm only at WOT or close to it. It’s just a split second where power seems to die and then it’s fine again, and only around that rpm. If I use less than full throttle, it goes through that range with no issue. This wasn’t happening before the track and the only thing I had done recently was an oil change and brake flush.

other notes:
  • I had driven in the rain the day before going to the track. The last time I did this and was having issues, one of the ignition modules went bad. I’ve unplugged each module and the car runs fine on either.
  • I have checked the resonance flap with a diagnostics tool and it works fine that way. Haven’t checked with vacuum, which I think is how it normally works?
  • I’m getting a code for knock sensor 2. I don’t know how recent that is. I’ve tried cleaning the connector a couple times, but it looks new and I don’t see much change. Maybe I should try contact cleaner and grease?
  • i noticed a vacuum line near the knock connector is dry rotting. Maybe should do a smoke test?

Any other ides on why I would get a power dip there and only there and only at full throttle?
Old 03-21-2019, 11:43 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Work the vacuum issues first- they are a low hanging fruit. Also pull the right handle intake manifold off and see if the resonance flap is sticky when fully closed. Clean the flap and the walls of the throttle body there, and sticky is a common problem, it may be that it sticks for a moment and then after being under full vacuum for a bit, let's go and works properly.

Also the check valve for the vacuum is commonly gunned up and can be replaced for 20 dollars. If that isn't functioning or barely functioning - you exhaust the vacuum in the canister that the resonance flap uses to open, and you will have intermittent flap function.

Dry rotted vacuum elbows and hoses- just replace. Easy enough. Once that is done, if the issue persists...then move on to the next...
Old 03-21-2019, 09:33 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Thanks a lot. I’ll work on the low hanging fruit.

After a lot of search, the vacuum line I see that is cracked is for the charcoal canister.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:57 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Sirenty
Thanks a lot. I’ll work on the low hanging fruit.

After a lot of search, the vacuum line I see that is cracked is for the charcoal canister.

You can test the vacuum with a cheap tester and cycle the ignition to operate the solenoid and test the flap operation.
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...refurb-65.html post #962
Old 04-14-2019, 09:51 AM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Still trying to track this down. I did a smoke test and there were no leaks. What I have noticed is the colder the ambient air temparure, the worse it gets. I drove the car in 30 dog weather, and the engine basically died for a second when it hit 5k. As the air warms up, the effect lessens.

This makes me think the flap is working but the engine can’t handle the extra air? Replaced plugs, wires, caps, and rotors thinking it might be weak ignition (plus didn’t know how old they were) and it does run a little smoother but no change in the issue. Also changed the exhaust and got the o2 sensor working again.

Next steps are to replace the fuel filter in case it’s weak fuel, and inspect the flap and intake while in there. Sound good?
Old 04-14-2019, 10:19 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Knock sensor code is unusual. You’ve gone through more than one tank of fuel to rule out bad gas? If the knock sensor pulls timing, you’ll feel the power loss. Though it won’t feel like hitting a wall.

Running lean would cause a massive power drop, and likely trigger the knock sensor.

How are cold and hot starts? The cylinder head temperature sensor, or air intake temperature sensor could cause lean running. You would likely notice rough hot or cold starts.

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2019, 10:36 AM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Last time I saw a problem like this the culprit was a plug lead damaged and breaking down. Car was fine upto 4k then a stutter then fine again to max rpm
Old 04-14-2019, 01:46 PM
gfunk
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your WOT switch actuator intact? I don't remember the symptoms but the cam actuator cracked on mine years ago.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:27 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Yes, gone through a tank of gas, and I just added more to make sure. Thought that might be it as the first two times it was fine. But then I punched it at 4100 and nailed the hiccup at 5 again.

Hot and cold starts seems fine. I did have a problem this weekend during an autocross. Before my fifth run, the car did not want to catch. It would crank and crank. Finally gave it a bit of throttle and it caught and ran rough for 5-10 seconds and then evened out. This was after sitting for 5-7 minutes. I let it idle for a bit before shutting off after that and didn’t have any more problems.

I’ve scanned after three drives now and I’m not getting any more faults.

WOT switch looks fine.

Power seems fine. It pulls strong. I was fourth fastest at the autocross despite this issue.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:30 PM
Kappi2907
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Check your distributor?
I suspect a broken belt.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:44 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

I should’ve mentioned I unplugged each ignition module and it started and ran fine on either one. Coils are still stock black coils though.

I replaced the DME relay yesterday for giggles. The one in there was made in Hungary and had a different diagram on it. New one is from Germany and has the 964 part number on it. Might be my imagination but it feels like it runs even smoother and has more power. Still a small stumble at 5k WOT though.

I could swear it didn’t do this last year, and the only thing I had done before the issue arose was an oil change.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:31 PM
Kappi2907
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Try a good injection cleaner like Forte.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:29 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Fixed the issue. Thanks to some locals and a thread on the 944 board, I checked the AFM internals even though I had been told the voltage was good. There was a worn spot near the end of the wiper arm travel for 2 of the 3 contact points. I adjusted the arm travel to use a different path and no more dead spot issue. She's purring now.

Quick Reply: WOT power dip issue