Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine cooling fan blade only removal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 11:25 AM
bw-porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Engine cooling fan blade only removal?

Looking at my fan blade it needs either painting or powder coating! I have bought a really good used alloy blade and intend to remove the one on my car, and replace for now with the alloy one. What I need to know is, can the fan blade be removed from the alternator shroud while this is still located in the engine bay, or does the shroud/alternator need to be removed to achieve this? Just as an extra bit of info, I may clean then polish the alloy blade just to see how it looks. The blade on the car looks to be the magnesium type. Thanks in advance for any replies!
Old 03-15-2019, 11:56 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Its been a few years since I replaced both of mine but I believe you need to remove the alternator about 80% of the way in order to remove the fan. You don't need to unhook the alternator wiring but that's the only step saved.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:39 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes you can remove the fan with the alternator housing still in the car, you just have to tilt the housing up to use a puller. Also as Rob pointed out, no need to unhook the alternator wiring.
Here is how I did it https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post11378795
Old 03-15-2019, 01:19 PM
bw-porsche
Rennlist Member

Ok thanks for this information. Yes I see that by leaving it in situ there wouldn’t be room for a puller. I’ll clean and polish the alloy one before attempting to remove the existing one. I was thinking of maybe painting or powder coating it copper, as I‘ve seen a pic of one this colour, and it looked good!
Old 03-19-2019, 01:58 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep in mind the close clearance the blades have to the shroud. Build up much paint or powder on the blade edges and there is a good chance you will get rubbing.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:02 PM
bw-porsche
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Yes I can see there is very little clearance between the fan blades and the inside of the shroud!

Quick Reply: Engine cooling fan blade only removal?