Sponsored by:

1991 OIl Leak Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 11:14 AM
Duane D
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 OIl Leak Question

I have a ‘91 C4 that has a small oil leak in the right rear corner. I haven’t gotten the belly pan off to check the engine but I did get behind the rear bumper today to look at the oil filter housing. It has obviously been leaking but I have one question.

I sas was able to tighten the nut (circled) about 1/2 turn. I don’t have a wrench big enough to get on the connection (arrow). Would tightening the top nut stop this leak or could it be coming out of the top of that pipe as well? Thanks!

Old 03-10-2019, 12:51 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

the top bolt could of been the leak. clean it off and check to see If the oil lines are leaking.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:31 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

This is a pretty common area for a leak. Unfortunately oil easily gets blown around so it is not always immediately obvious where the leak is. So yes, as mentioned above clean really well first. You want to do that anyway. The small bolt you circled is used to allow air into the oil filter during an oil change so it does get used and could be the leak. Btw, some of us just punch a hole in the oil filter which has the same effect and you don't have to mess with that bolt. Also, make sure you don't over-tighten the bolts.
There is a special tool for the larger nut your arrow points to.

Good luck.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:20 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

Not sure of the size off hand maybe 32 mm but he circled fitting can be done with an open end wrench you only can get about one flat of progress at a time
Old 03-10-2019, 08:41 PM
Duane D
Cruisin'

Thanks for the replies. I will clean and check for more leakage.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:59 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You should keep the rear under-tray off for better engine cooling.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:06 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by cjoenck
This is a pretty common area for a leak. Unfortunately oil easily gets blown around so it is not always immediately obvious where the leak is. So yes, as mentioned above clean really well first. You want to do that anyway. The small bolt you circled is used to allow air into the oil filter during an oil change so it does get used and could be the leak. Btw, some of us just punch a hole in the oil filter which has the same effect and you don't have to mess with that bolt. Also, make sure you don't over-tighten the bolts.
There is a special tool for the larger nut your arrow points to.
Good luck.
Exactly same issue couple of years back - leaking oil from the housing finding its way down the oil pipe and on to the secondary muffler. Removed the pipes and housing and made good (pic below). The filter bleed screw I replaced with new washer but as you say, it's hardly ever used (I find I don't need it once I've allowed enough time for the system to drain). New sealing washers too for the main pipes. Adjustable wrench worked for the large unions. Hope a simple nut tightening is all you require Duane.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:27 AM
Duane D
Cruisin'

Wow, that shiny new part makes mine look terrible. I have a large adjustable wrench but it seemed to be ~1 mm shy of fitting on the nut. I will try to clean as much as I can out of there and see if I can get that wrench to work. I appreciate everyone's feedback. Thanks
Old 03-11-2019, 09:44 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Mine was certainly bad with oil sludge and dirt. Seemed an opportunity when doing the oil change to whip it out and take the time to sort it out, clean up with brake cleaner, dry off then spray with Al paint. Makes it much easier to keep an eye on it now for any future leaks. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:02 PM
toothfixer
Intermediate

I had a similar issue with my filter housing and I had to replace an oil line. I used the special oil line wrenches that pelican sells. Not sure if they are needed but they worked.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:08 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by toothfixer
I had a similar issue with my filter housing and I had to replace an oil line. I used the special oil line wrenches that pelican sells. Not sure if they are needed but they worked.
was it this one:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...?pn=PEL-PW-OLW
Old 03-11-2019, 08:11 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
That would work but as I stated the regular 36 mm will work it is slow about a flat each turn
Old 03-11-2019, 08:39 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by JohnK964

That would work but as I stated the regular 36 mm will work it is slow about a flat each turn
Thank you.
I have the same area leaking on my car and will need to replace at least one of the lines soon as it’s dripping directly onto the exhaust. I took a look yesterday and it’s a complete mess with oil caked everywhere. Guess I’ll need to clean it up first so I can see exactly which fitting/line is leaking. I found the above diagram online and I have a good feeling the leaking part is number 54.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:55 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh

Thank you.
I have the same area leaking on my car and will need to replace at least one of the lines soon as it’s dripping directly onto the exhaust. I took a look yesterday and it’s a complete mess with oil caked everywhere. Guess I’ll need to clean it up first so I can see exactly which fitting/line is leaking. I found the above diagram online and I have a good feeling the leaking part is number 54.

I have a new OE factory part #54 never used if you find it hard to come by.

BTW the only easy way to do it is to drop the left exhaust.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:18 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by cobalt
I have a new OE factory part #54 never used if you find it hard to come by.

BTW the only easy way to do it is to drop the left exhaust.
I appreciate that, thank you.
I wasn’t aware the left side exhaust had to come off 😳
I’m sure I could do it, but not if an exhaust stud were to break which I hear is very common...silly me for thinking this would be an easy fix 😂

Quick Reply: 1991 OIl Leak Question