Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 OIl Leak Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 09:32 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,168 Posts

When I purchased my 90 it had 83k miles and someone had tried to replace that line. They couldn't get the nut at the oil filter off so they cut it in hopes to complete the job. I am guessing they were working on jack stands and when they went to the other end to remove it found they had to remove the heater box and gave up. It is the direct feed from the oil pump under pressure. They attempted to slide a rubber hose over the end of the threads and the pipe and clamped it with hose clamps. What a mess it made. So the car sat for 10 years until I acquired it.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:10 PM
Duane D
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh

Thank you.
I have the same area leaking on my car and will need to replace at least one of the lines soon as it’s dripping directly onto the exhaust. I took a look yesterday and it’s a complete mess with oil caked everywhere. Guess I’ll need to clean it up first so I can see exactly which fitting/line is leaking. I found the above diagram online and I have a good feeling the leaking part is number 54.

Based on my picture I fear that number 54 could also be a culprit in my oil leak. After reading the comment about the exhaust coming down I will definitely have to have a shop complete that repair if that pipe is, indeed leaking.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:53 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

If this helps here is the oil line it is the black one heading towards the front of the car. It is hard to see where it leads but it is very close to the tranny. The picture of the open case is a 993 but almost identical in this respect. The line leads to the bottom right hole with the green viton seal, looking at it from the inside. It should give you an idea what needs to be addressed.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:15 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
If this helps here is the oil line it is the black one heading towards the front of the car. It is hard to see where it leads but it is very close to the tranny. The picture of the open case is a 993 but almost identical in this respect. The line leads to the bottom right hole with the green viton seal, looking at it from the inside. It should give you an idea what needs to be addressed.
Thanks for the info.
Previously you said “the only easy way” to replace this line was to drop the exhaust. Can it be done without dropping the exhaust? I assume the connection to the case is right above the exhaust which makes getting a wrench in there nearly impossible? Would you say even more impossible than getting a wrench on the clutch slave bleed screw? Cause I recently did that when flushing the entire hydraulic system and it was a bi^*h...

EDIT-
found a good photo where it shows exactly where this line goes into the case.

Heres another with stock exhaust:

Old 03-13-2019, 09:25 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh

Thanks for the info.
Previously you said “the only easy way” to replace this line was to drop the exhaust. Can it be done without dropping the exhaust? I assume the connection to the case is right above the exhaust which makes getting a wrench in there nearly impossible? Would you say even more impossible than getting a wrench on the clutch slave bleed screw? Cause I recently did that when flushing the entire hydraulic system and it was a bi^*h...

EDIT-
found a good photo where it shows exactly where this line goes into the case.

IMO the clutch slave isn't that bad, I have not been able to find a way to do the oil line with the heater box in the way. If someone has a way I would love to hear of it.

That is an interesting way they handled moving the heater boxes out of the way. On that engine it is possible.

Quick Reply: 1991 OIl Leak Question