Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C2 Suspension refresh - RS ride height

Old 03-06-2019, 08:49 PM
Dtronics
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default C2 Suspension refresh - RS ride height

I’ve read through a bunch of the older threads on this topic but wanted to see if there’s any updated information.

I want to lower a C2 to RS ride height using KW V3’s. I’ve used V3’s on my last couple of cars and I like them. I’m curious to hear what additional recommendations there are for “while we’re at” updates like bump steer kit, end links, spring plates, etc. This is a weekend street car that’s not used on the track so I’m not looking for overkill but I want to do it the right way. Any recommended setups would be helpful.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:22 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Just do the shocks and make sure your bushings are all fresh.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:49 PM
Dtronics
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Just do the shocks and make sure your bushings are all fresh.

Thanks. I didn’t mention that it’s a low mile car (under 50k). I think that im going to refresh with the Elephant racing sport rubber bushings.

I was also going to do the Elephant bump steer kit and tarett drop links at the recommendation of the shop. Do you think I should skip this?
Old 03-06-2019, 09:55 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Drop links are good as they will let you get the balance right with no preload. Bump steer kit is good depending on ride height.

For a street focused car i wouldnt do too much more.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:00 PM
Dtronics
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Drop links are good as they will let you get the balance right with no preload. Bump steer kit is good depending on ride height.

For a street focused car i wouldnt do too much more.

Thanks again. I might go slightly lower than RS height but that’s the general look/ height I want. I don’t want to throw money away but I also don’t want to take the cheap way out doing it. It seems like the Elephant rubber bushings have great feedback for the street.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:07 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 137 Posts

The bump kit also does away with the rubber bushings in the steering arms- so thats 2 birds with one stone if your going to rs heights. Wouldn’t bother with the bushings or drop links unless there shot- which is unlikely at your mileage as they hold up pretty well. If your pushing the car the rs sway bars are a great addition.

pete
Old 03-07-2019, 12:35 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have under 50k miles on mine and went with HR/Bilstien setup lowered almost as far as the setup would allow. I’m getting some pretty severe bump steer and it’s my understanding that the elephant racing bump steer correction kit should take care of this. I just have not gotten around to doing it yet. I’d suggest doing it “ while you’re in there “.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:54 PM
Dtronics
Instructor

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
The bump kit also does away with the rubber bushings in the steering arms- so thats 2 birds with one stone if your going to rs heights. Wouldn’t bother with the bushings or drop links unless there shot- which is unlikely at your mileage as they hold up pretty well. If your pushing the car the rs sway bars are a great addition.

pete
Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
I have under 50k miles on mine and went with HR/Bilstien setup lowered almost as far as the setup would allow. I’m getting some pretty severe bump steer and it’s my understanding that the elephant racing bump steer correction kit should take care of this. I just have not gotten around to doing it yet. I’d suggest doing it “ while you’re in there “.
Thanks guys. I appreciate the replies and additional input. I like the RS sway bar idea. Maybe I'll hold off the replacing all the bushings because they're in good shape. I was thinking about replacing them because I read a lot of good stuff about the Elephant sport rubber bushings but I can do that later. Maybe I'll do the following:

-KW V3's
-Elephant racing bump steer correction kit
-RS Sway Bars
-I think I'm going to do the RUF strut brace too

It's also worth mentioning is anyone is looking at coilovers, KW has a rebate of $150 for V1's and $350 for V3's from 3/1-5/31.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:59 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Subscribed in here Dtronics.... looks like a good list there.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:07 PM
Dtronics
Instructor

Originally Posted by tonymission
Thanks, Tony. Hopefully you can get some ideas in here for your new car.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:59 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Glad this came up.

Originally Posted by Peteinjp

+1

Regardless of ride height, the Elephant kit seems like a no brainer... Not much more that Porsche replacement parts, yet a definite upgrade in design and performance.
https://www.elephantracing.com/porsc...e-rods-for-964
Originally Posted by tonymission
Steering rack brace?

Also Rennline is offering an upgrade to the factory ball joints. Looks like a nice area to get a little more performance, without cost or performance negatives. (no affiliation...)

Rennline's New High Density Line of Bushings and Mounts
The all new Rennline High Density collection provides enthusiasts a perfect compromise between solid bushings and standard, run of the mill OE replacements. These bushings, mounts, shifters and more will provide a more connected and planted feeling between you, your Porsche, and the road. Sport durometer pieces offer an increase in stiffness of approximately 25% over factory replacements, which is enough to significantly improve performance without added road noise and vibrations associated with solid mounts.
http://www.rennline.com/newssection.asp?dept=1185

What are people's thoughts?

Old 03-08-2019, 10:40 PM
Dtronics
Instructor

I reached out to Elephant Racing and they recommended the following for a street car at RS height:

-Front tie rod kit with adjustable bump steer
-Sway Bar Front "RS" Version 5 Way Adjustable
-Sway Bar rear "RS" Version 3 Way Adjustable
-964 Euro RS swaybar bushing Front/ Rear
-Drop link set, adjustable length and spherical bearing for front with boots
-Drop link set, adjustable length spherical bearing for rear with boots

They recommended Von coilovers which is what I expected. I’ve had V3’s and a couple cars and I like all the adjustments, quality, and comfort for the street. I’ve also used H&R coilovers but I prefer the KW’s.

I’ve never used anything from Elephant Racing before but I have to say they have excellent customer service. This is the second time I’ve reached out to them and they’re always very helpful talking through options.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:52 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Up to you if you want sways too. May or may not be necessary.
one thing you may consider is rsr type solid inner link on the steering rack. This removes the rubber and makes a real difference in steering feel.

Actually looks like elephants tie rod kit includes that. Def consider those
Old 03-09-2019, 12:06 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Regardless of ride height, the Elephant kit seems like a no brainer... Not much more that Porsche replacement parts, yet a definite upgrade in design and performance.
https://www.elephantracing.com/porsc...e-rods-for-964
I refreshed mine with OEM stuff because there were a few folks reporting fitment issues with the Elephant kit and/or no real added value based on seat of pants feeling.

Steering rack brace?
Yes, along with Ricochet steering rack bushings.

Also Rennline is offering an upgrade to the factory ball joints. Looks like a nice area to get a little more performance, without cost or performance negatives. (no affiliation...)
http://www.rennline.com/newssection.asp?dept=1185
What are people's thoughts?
I purchased the Rennline HD bushings and ball joints simply because I was ordering other parts as well. I had Andreas refurbished my control arms and based on the many he has done, he mentioned that the Elephant, Rennline, FVD, ... bushings seem to be all made by the same manufacturer. Besides, they all have the same hardness specs. I wouldn't sweat it too much, buy them from your favorite outfit and enjoy the improved ride.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:33 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMM
I refreshed mine with OEM stuff because there were a few folks reporting fitment issues with the Elephant kit and/or no real added value based on seat of pants feeling.
2nd that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C2 Suspension refresh - RS ride height