Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   C2 Suspension refresh - RS ride height (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/1132478-c2-suspension-refresh-rs-ride-height.html)

Dtronics 03-06-2019 08:49 PM

C2 Suspension refresh - RS ride height

I’ve read through a bunch of the older threads on this topic but wanted to see if there’s any updated information.

I want to lower a C2 to RS ride height using KW V3’s. I’ve used V3’s on my last couple of cars and I like them. I’m curious to hear what additional recommendations there are for “while we’re at” updates like bump steer kit, end links, spring plates, etc. This is a weekend street car that’s not used on the track so I’m not looking for overkill but I want to do it the right way. Any recommended setups would be helpful.

Spyerx 03-06-2019 09:22 PM

Just do the shocks and make sure your bushings are all fresh.

Dtronics 03-06-2019 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Spyerx (Post 15685572)
Just do the shocks and make sure your bushings are all fresh.

Thanks. I didn’t mention that it’s a low mile car (under 50k). I think that im going to refresh with the Elephant racing sport rubber bushings.

I was also going to do the Elephant bump steer kit and tarett drop links at the recommendation of the shop. Do you think I should skip this?

Spyerx 03-06-2019 09:55 PM

Drop links are good as they will let you get the balance right with no preload. Bump steer kit is good depending on ride height.

For a street focused car i wouldnt do too much more.

Dtronics 03-06-2019 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Spyerx (Post 15685639)
Drop links are good as they will let you get the balance right with no preload. Bump steer kit is good depending on ride height.

For a street focused car i wouldnt do too much more.

Thanks again. I might go slightly lower than RS height but that’s the general look/ height I want. I don’t want to throw money away but I also don’t want to take the cheap way out doing it. It seems like the Elephant rubber bushings have great feedback for the street.

Peteinjp 03-07-2019 09:07 AM

The bump kit also does away with the rubber bushings in the steering arms- so thats 2 birds with one stone if your going to rs heights. Wouldn’t bother with the bushings or drop links unless there shot- which is unlikely at your mileage as they hold up pretty well. If your pushing the car the rs sway bars are a great addition.

pete

Lorenzoh 03-07-2019 12:35 PM

I have under 50k miles on mine and went with HR/Bilstien setup lowered almost as far as the setup would allow. I’m getting some pretty severe bump steer and it’s my understanding that the elephant racing bump steer correction kit should take care of this. I just have not gotten around to doing it yet. I’d suggest doing it “ while you’re in there “.

Dtronics 03-07-2019 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Peteinjp (Post 15686263)
The bump kit also does away with the rubber bushings in the steering arms- so thats 2 birds with one stone if your going to rs heights. Wouldn’t bother with the bushings or drop links unless there shot- which is unlikely at your mileage as they hold up pretty well. If your pushing the car the rs sway bars are a great addition.

pete

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh (Post 15686695)
I have under 50k miles on mine and went with HR/Bilstien setup lowered almost as far as the setup would allow. I’m getting some pretty severe bump steer and it’s my understanding that the elephant racing bump steer correction kit should take care of this. I just have not gotten around to doing it yet. I’d suggest doing it “ while you’re in there “.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the replies and additional input. I like the RS sway bar idea. Maybe I'll hold off the replacing all the bushings because they're in good shape. I was thinking about replacing them because I read a lot of good stuff about the Elephant sport rubber bushings but I can do that later. Maybe I'll do the following:

-KW V3's
-Elephant racing bump steer correction kit
-RS Sway Bars
-I think I'm going to do the RUF strut brace too

It's also worth mentioning is anyone is looking at coilovers, KW has a rebate of $150 for V1's and $350 for V3's from 3/1-5/31.

tonymission 03-07-2019 12:59 PM

Subscribed in here Dtronics.... looks like a good list there.

Dtronics 03-07-2019 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by tonymission (Post 15686752)

Thanks, Tony. Hopefully you can get some ideas in here for your new car.

911Jetta 03-08-2019 10:59 AM

Glad this came up.

Originally Posted by Peteinjp (Post 15686263)

+1

Regardless of ride height, the Elephant kit seems like a no brainer... Not much more that Porsche replacement parts, yet a definite upgrade in design and performance.
https://www.elephantracing.com/porsc...e-rods-for-964

Originally Posted by tonymission (Post 15686752)

Steering rack brace?

Also Rennline is offering an upgrade to the factory ball joints. Looks like a nice area to get a little more performance, without cost or performance negatives. (no affiliation...)

Rennline's New High Density Line of Bushings and Mounts
The all new Rennline High Density collection provides enthusiasts a perfect compromise between solid bushings and standard, run of the mill OE replacements. These bushings, mounts, shifters and more will provide a more connected and planted feeling between you, your Porsche, and the road. Sport durometer pieces offer an increase in stiffness of approximately 25% over factory replacements, which is enough to significantly improve performance without added road noise and vibrations associated with solid mounts.
http://www.rennline.com/newssection.asp?dept=1185

What are people's thoughts?

Dtronics 03-08-2019 10:40 PM

I reached out to Elephant Racing and they recommended the following for a street car at RS height:

-Front tie rod kit with adjustable bump steer
-Sway Bar Front "RS" Version 5 Way Adjustable
-Sway Bar rear "RS" Version 3 Way Adjustable
-964 Euro RS swaybar bushing Front/ Rear
-Drop link set, adjustable length and spherical bearing for front with boots
-Drop link set, adjustable length spherical bearing for rear with boots

They recommended Von coilovers which is what I expected. I’ve had V3’s and a couple cars and I like all the adjustments, quality, and comfort for the street. I’ve also used H&R coilovers but I prefer the KW’s.

I’ve never used anything from Elephant Racing before but I have to say they have excellent customer service. This is the second time I’ve reached out to them and they’re always very helpful talking through options.

Spyerx 03-09-2019 09:52 AM

Up to you if you want sways too. May or may not be necessary.
one thing you may consider is rsr type solid inner link on the steering rack. This removes the rubber and makes a real difference in steering feel.

Actually looks like elephants tie rod kit includes that. Def consider those

LPMM 03-09-2019 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 911Jetta (Post 15688940)
Regardless of ride height, the Elephant kit seems like a no brainer... Not much more that Porsche replacement parts, yet a definite upgrade in design and performance.

I refreshed mine with OEM stuff because there were a few folks reporting fitment issues with the Elephant kit and/or no real added value based on seat of pants feeling.

Steering rack brace?

Yes, along with Ricochet steering rack bushings.

Also Rennline is offering an upgrade to the factory ball joints. Looks like a nice area to get a little more performance, without cost or performance negatives. (no affiliation...)
http://www.rennline.com/newssection.asp?dept=1185
What are people's thoughts?

I purchased the Rennline HD bushings and ball joints simply because I was ordering other parts as well. I had Andreas refurbished my control arms and based on the many he has done, he mentioned that the Elephant, Rennline, FVD, ... bushings seem to be all made by the same manufacturer. Besides, they all have the same hardness specs. I wouldn't sweat it too much, buy them from your favorite outfit and enjoy the improved ride.

Spokes 03-09-2019 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by LPMM (Post 15691470)
I refreshed mine with OEM stuff because there were a few folks reporting fitment issues with the Elephant kit and/or no real added value based on seat of pants feeling.

2nd that.

Dtronics 03-09-2019 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Spyerx (Post 15691216)
Up to you if you want sways too. May or may not be necessary.
one thing you may consider is rsr type solid inner link on the steering rack. This removes the rubber and makes a real difference in steering feel.

Actually looks like elephants tie rod kit includes that. Def consider those

The sway bars are the only thing that I’m on the fence about. I’m not sure if I need them and I don’t want to spend around $1k if they aren’t really necessary. I can always add those later.

Originally Posted by LPMM (Post 15691470)

I tried to find threads on fitment issues but I couldn’t find them. Do you recall what the specific issues were?

964Luftballoon 03-09-2019 07:57 PM

Subscribed. Great info! Phase 2 for me will be changing our the suspension bits on my c4 @197k miles

540964 03-09-2019 08:22 PM

I had zero problems with fitment of Elephant products.

Spokes 03-09-2019 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dtronics (Post 15692392)
I tried to find threads on fitment issues but I couldn’t find them. Do you recall what the specific issues were?

I had issues fitting them to a 89 C4 for 16” wheels. They hit the rim. Also after cutting the thread they were still very close to the rim and I couldn’t dial in enough toe as did one other. Threads:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...r-install.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...r-issue-2.html

Dtronics 03-09-2019 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Spokes (Post 15692704)

I had issues fitting them to a 89 C4 for 16” wheels. They hit the rim. Also after cutting the thread they were still very close to the rim and I couldn’t dial in enough toe as did one other. Threads:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...r-install.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...r-issue-2.html

Thanks for digging those up. So it sounds like the early cars with D90’s had some issues. I’m assuming if someone is running 17” or 18” wheels, this isn’t an issue? Also, if you’re running 16” wheels, it’s seem like using a Dremel to shorten the thread is the fix which isn’t ideal but not a huge job.

Spokes 03-09-2019 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dtronics (Post 15692747)

Thanks for digging those up. So it sounds like the early cars with D90’s had some issues. I’m assuming if someone is running 17” or 18” wheels, this isn’t an issue? Also, if you’re running 16” wheels, it’s seem like using a Dremel to shorten the thread is the fix which isn’t ideal but not a huge job.

I did manage to cut off enough thread to clear 16” wheels, but then ran into the issue of running out of thread on the tie rod and I couldn’t dial in enough toe. Again there is another fix: with a bit of milling. But by then and new product requiring these mods, I threw in the towel and returned them. I went with FVD inner and outer tie rods.

I have Elephant sport rubbers, and rear suspension hats and they work fine. But I am suspicious of the bump steers trying to cut across 964 and 993 and variations.

Dtronics 03-09-2019 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Spokes (Post 15692764)

I did manage to cut off enough thread to clear 16” wheels, but then ran into the issue of running out of thread on the tie rod and I couldn’t dial in enough toe. Again there is another fix: with a bit of milling. But by then and new product requiring these mods, I threw in the towel and returned them. I went with FVD inner and outer tie rods.

I have Elephant sport rubbers, and rear suspension hats and they work fine. But I am suspicious of the bump steers trying to cut across 964 and 993 and variations.

Good feedback. It looks like the Tarret kit is also 964/993. This is another option from ERP: https://www.rstrada.com/suspension/erp-964-tie-rod-kit

erikerik 03-10-2019 04:11 AM

Here’s some additions to your set up. Replace the rear spring plates with ERP Monoballs and also install RS engine mounts.

Dtronics 03-10-2019 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by erikerik (Post 15693034)
Here’s some additions to your set up. Replace the rear spring plates with ERP Monoballs and also install RS engine mounts.

Thanks. RS engine mounts are done already so that box is checked. I was debating the spring plates, is it worth the additional $1k or so (parts and install)?

erikerik 03-10-2019 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dtronics (Post 15693637)

Thanks. RS engine mounts are done already so that box is checked. I was debating the spring plates, is it worth the additional $1k or so (parts and install)?

imo... since you are refreshing the rest of your suspension it makes sense to refresh the last bushings in your suspension.

Dtronics 04-19-2019 06:42 PM

I’m planning to order suspension parts now but having some second thoughts. I’m looking to go slightly above (+10) RS height but it’s a street car. I’m debating V3’s vs PSS10’s which are both close in price. I had a shop recommend B6’s and H&R’s but I don’t know if that will get the height as low as I want. I have the same concern with the PSS10’s having a max 40mm drop. I’ve also read mixed things on the V3’s but they’ll definitely give me more than enough drop. I ran V3’s on a BMW M car and it was a little “bouncy” but overall I liked them. Again, looking for RS + height so any feedback would be appreciated.

Goughary 04-19-2019 11:19 PM

You can get rs +10 w bilstein b6 and hr springs...

If you do the KW , remember to install the step down washers in the bottom hole, as they are drilled for 993 uprights.

Pss10 are expensive for what they are. But easier to set up than kw, since it's one knob does all.

Check w butzigear for some options as well. I'm sure dave can get you not only a better price on the kw, but he also carries jrz, and he would have some ideas relative to price that could fit the bill for you.

If i had it to do again, I'd not buy kw v3 and would have paid up just a bit and gotten more bang for the buck...

All that said- purely for street use- and not for really hard driving. But normal street quick...bilstein b6 and hr is a great combo- use the oem top hats up front and monoballs in the rear. Feels great and the handling is very good for street. And it doesn't cost nearly as much.

Lorenzoh 04-20-2019 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Goughary (Post 15786308)
You can get rs +10 w bilstein b6 and hr springs...

If you do the KW , remember to install the step down washers in the bottom hole, as they are drilled for 993 uprights.

Pss10 are expensive for what they are. But easier to set up than kw, since it's one knob does all.

Check w butzigear for some options as well. I'm sure dave can get you not only a better price on the kw, but he also carries jrz, and he would have some ideas relative to price that could fit the bill for you.

If i had it to do again, I'd not buy kw v3 and would have paid up just a bit and gotten more bang for the buck...

All that said- purely for street use- and not for really hard driving. But normal street quick...bilstein b6 and hr is a great combo- use the oem top hats up front and monoballs in the rear. Feels great and the handling is very good for street. And it doesn't cost nearly as much.

i went with the HR/Bilstein HD on my car. It’s a complete transformation of the cars suspension and dynamics. But, I’m getting a lot of bounce from the front end. It’s not banging on the bump stops...I know what that feels like. I have it set to The lowest possible ride height front and rear and the forward rake is perfect. But, the front axle bounce is sometimes irritating. Could you suggest something to fix it? Perhaps the elephant racing bump steer correction kit?
Thanks in advance

Dtronics 04-20-2019 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh (Post 15786533)
i went with the HR/Bilstein HD on my car. It’s a complete transformation of the cars suspension and dynamics. But, I’m getting a lot of bounce from the front end. It’s not banging on the bump stops...I know what that feels like. I have it set to The lowest possible ride height front and rear and the forward rake is perfect. But, the front axle bounce is sometimes irritating. Could you suggest something to fix it? Perhaps the elephant racing bump steer correction kit?
Thanks in advance

Do you have a side angle picture of your car? I’d like to see your setup at the lowest possible height.

Goughary 04-20-2019 10:08 AM

Lorenzoh- depends on what you mean by "bounce"....

Bump steer is an issue at the lowest level w those struts, as it's lower than rs+10....but that's not "bounce" in my head....bounce to me would be more about rebound. Which would require revalving the bilsteins, which is easy enough to have done.

Vegas993 04-20-2019 11:13 AM

I've ridden in a 964 that was low on V3's and the front end also bounced - really rapid little bounces. That would drive me insane. I know they are adjustable but the car's owner works for Porsche! I think that once they are out of the "sweet spot" they become unruly.

The H&R Deep Coilovers available in the States through Rotiform are designed for going low, I know several people running them... https://rotiform.myshopify.com/collections/suspension

Dtronics 04-20-2019 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Vegas993 (Post 15786928)
I've ridden in a 964 that was low on V3's and the front end also bounced - really rapid little bounces. That would drive me insane. I know they are adjustable but the car's owner works for Porsche! I think that once they are out of the "sweet spot" they become unruly.

The H&R Deep Coilovers available in the States through Rotiform are designed for going low, I know several people running them... https://rotiform.myshopify.com/collections/suspension

Thanks man. I’ve had V3’s before on BMW’s and experienced that “bouncy” feeling, the cars were pretty low. I’m curious to hear if the Elephant kits helps to stop this.

Ive looked at those deep coilovers. I ran H&R street coilovers on an Audi S5. From my experience, the H&R’s aren’t as good as KW, Bilstein, etc but for the street, they get the job done and this is a street car. It seems like you have a relationship with Brian at Rotiform, hook up a deal? Kidding

Vegas993 04-20-2019 11:44 AM

Most H&R Coilovers use Bilstein internals, conversely I'm pretty sure H&R makes the Springs for Bilstein Coilovers.

I've also had H&R's on several Audis and VW's from standard to ultra low. The Deeps are not the same as H&R Street in any way.

Dtronics 04-20-2019 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Vegas993 (Post 15786972)
Most H&R Coilovers use Bilstein internals, conversely I'm pretty sure H&R makes the Springs for Bilstein Coilovers.

I've also had H&R's on several Audis and VW's from standard to ultra low. The Deeps are not the same as H&R Street in any way.

Do you happen to know the lowering ranges on the deep setup? Rotiforms site says up to 120mm but do know the full range off the top of your head? I believe the street set is 1-1.7” both front and rear.

Vegas993 04-20-2019 11:59 AM

I don't but if I had to guess I would say 40mm is probably the minimum. My car is pretty low and there are some lower than mine. I could probably raise mine to above RS.

Found a crappy pic from when I installed them in 2013...

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...4f9b16f1f5.jpg

Dtronics 04-20-2019 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Vegas993 (Post 15786998)
I don't but if I had to guess I would say 40mm is probably the minimum. My car is pretty low and there are some lower than mine. I could probably raise mine to above RS.

Found a crappy pic from when I installed them in 2013...

Nice. I didn’t realize you were running these on your car. Did you do anything else to your suspension when you installed these?

Im curious to find the ranges so I’ll reach out to rotiform. These go way lower than I would want but it’s an option. It seems like V3’s and H&R’s are the only kits in the price range that go below 40mm in the front. Thanks for the info.

Vegas993 04-20-2019 12:31 PM

I would rather run these high as opposed to running the others lower than they were designed to go.

I did new OEM mounts when I installed, that's it. It's a weekend car and I drive it down for Luft every year but that's about it.

I have a set of Elephant Racing tie rods getting ready to go in. While I may be too low to truly benefit, they can't hurt and I like the idea of the solid inner tie rods, especially for the money.

Lorenzoh 04-20-2019 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Goughary (Post 15786817)
Lorenzoh- depends on what you mean by "bounce"....

Bump steer is an issue at the lowest level w those struts, as it's lower than rs+10....but that's not "bounce" in my head....bounce to me would be more about rebound. Which would require revalving the bilsteins, which is easy enough to have done.

thanks for the clarification. Are you suggesting that my front shocks are worn out/need rebuilding? They are the stock Bilstein HDs so I’m not sure why they’d need to be revalved?

Lorenzoh 04-20-2019 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dtronics (Post 15786535)
Do you have a side angle picture of your car? I’d like to see your setup at the lowest possible height.

here ya go:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...9b20585df.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7e84b8964.jpeg

Dtronics 04-20-2019 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh (Post 15787819)
here ya go:

looks good! Are those the blue/purple H&R sport springs?

Lorenzoh 04-20-2019 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dtronics (Post 15787852)
looks good! Are those the blue/purple H&R sport springs?

Thanks!!

These are the ones I bought:

H&R 29813 Sport Spring

Dtronics 04-20-2019 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh (Post 15787867)
Thanks!!

These are the ones I bought:

H&R 29813 Sport Spring https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7LVXEC..._GV6UCb3CDQF5N

Yup, those are the ones I thought... thanks. Hopefully you can get that bounce issue figured out.

I’m still debating what to do. I know this topic has been discussed countless times but I always like getting up to date information/ feedback.

Lorenzoh 04-20-2019 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dtronics (Post 15787875)
Yup, those are the ones I thought... thanks. Hopefully you can get that bounce issue figured out.

I’m still debating what to do. I know this topic has been discussed countless times but I always like getting up to date information/ feedback.

For the street, I think the PSS 9 or 10s are overkill. Sure they’re adjustable, but I’d rather have something that’s fixed and works well. Plus I’m not a fan of getting down on the ground and reached under the car playing with the settings. This is the third HR/Bilstein combo I’ve had and I love it. Just wish I could figure out why the front end is so bouncy....or as mentioned above the rebound seems out of whack. Not sure what the term is for it but I’m wondering now if my front shocks are not valved properly for the HR spring rate. If that’s the case, then did I get a bad batch?
Anyway, it’s only bad over really rough surfaces...on smooth pavement they’re amazing.

Peteinjp 04-20-2019 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh (Post 15787897)
For the street, I think the PSS 9 or 10s are overkill. Sure they’re adjustable, but I’d rather have something that’s fixed and works well. Plus I’m not a fan of getting down on the ground and reached under the car playing with the settings. This is the third HR/Bilstein combo I’ve had and I love it. Just wish I could figure out why the front end is so bouncy....or as mentioned above the rebound seems out of whack. Not sure what the term is for it but I’m wondering now if my front shocks are not valved properly for the HR spring rate. If that’s the case, then did I get a bad batch?
Anyway, it’s only bad over really rough surfaces...on smooth pavement they’re amazing.

Bilstein will work with you re-valve shock to your needs if you contact their office in Cali. I did that with my old bmw 2002tii and it worked out well. Maybe you can simply describe the problem and send in the shocks.

Pete

Goughary 04-20-2019 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
thanks for the clarification. Are you suggesting that my front shocks are worn out/need rebuilding? They are the stock Bilstein HDs so I’m not sure why they’d need to be revalved?

Noooooo, I'm saying you clips just have the bilsteins revolves to feel however you like. If you believe they go low enough, which for RS +10, they do, and if you like the spring rates you have, sending them off to be revalued is a lot cheaper than buying a new setup.

If you switch to a "better" coilover set, you will likely end up with a higher spring rate, and will be over sprung when you have them set to the soft settings, which could be reason for the bounce. And the reports of the bounce in the kw v3 previously noted. As the spring rates will be more appropriate for the stiffer settings.

Anyway it's worth a call to bilstein to discuss. As it may get you what you want, and save you a few thousand in the process.

Lorenzoh 04-20-2019 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Goughary (Post 15788086)
Noooooo, I'm saying you clips just have the bilsteins revolves to feel however you like. If you believe they go low enough, which for RS +10, they do, and if you like the spring rates you have, sending them off to be revalued is a lot cheaper than buying a new setup.

If you switch to a "better" coilover set, you will likely end up with a higher spring rate, and will be over sprung when you have them set to the soft settings, which could be reason for the bounce. And the reports of the bounce in the kw v3 previously noted. As the spring rates will be more appropriate for the stiffer settings.

Anyway it's worth a call to bilstein to discuss. As it may get you what you want, and save you a few thousand in the process.

That makes sense, thanks for taking the time to explain. I also found this thread which describes exactly what your talking about.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...revalving.html

Peteinjp 04-21-2019 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Goughary (Post 15788086)

This is a good point – you may consider just replacing the springs with a lower rate to match the damper settings that you prefer.

Goughary 04-21-2019 10:28 PM

This thread got me on the ball to adjust my compression and rebound settings today. I had gone almost full soft for the winter. And i also had a little bounce - kwv3 -

Fwiw, bounciness can so be a problem when your front and rear settings are mismatched.

I run same settings front and rear. And i tend to keep things simple since most of my driving is street, and if i do get to a track, it's not like i have a lot of time to play with settings to work on better laps times...

So here is where i am- just to throw it out there. Compression +5 clicks from full soft. And rebound +8 clicks from full soft. Bounce is gone and the ride is still compliant for the street, but feels like a sports car again.

I know this has little to do with this thread, but since the kw had been mentioned, figured I'd toss it out there.

These are two good threads on setup.
https://robrobinette.com/S2000KWV3.htm

https://robrobinette.com/S2000KWV3Tuning.htm

And even if you don't have kwv3, it's a good read to have a basic understanding of how all this stuff works.

Now back to our originally scheduled program....

Fwiw- on the 3.9 liter monster that Peter Dawe is building us...(read- "for John"), Peter bought new springs and sent the bilstein b6 John already had, to bilstein for revalving. So just putting that out there, as it's not "a lesser" version of a strut to go that direction, when even legends in the world of performance do the same. The question really is - who is the guide to what valving for your spring rates and setup...so I'm curious to hear if you call bilstein, what help they are in that process.

fastmd 04-21-2019 10:36 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7968083d9.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b1dc949f5.jpeg
My 964 is on KW3 with a lot of Elephant Racing components. I have no bounce, the ride is perfect in my opinion. It’s currently right around RS ride height.

But, the race shop I use set it up for me knowing how I like my cars to handle.

I like it better than PSS10s I had on another 993.

Dtronics 04-21-2019 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by fastmd (Post 15789949)

My 964 is on KW3 with a lot of Elephant Racing components. I have no bounce, the ride is perfect in my opinion. It’s currently right around RS ride height.

But, the race shop I use set it up for me knowing how I like my cars to handle.

I like it better than PSS10s I had on another 964.

Good feedback, thanks. Your 964 looks great with the LM’s.

Amazing stable of cars in the background too!

Vegas993 04-22-2019 02:32 PM

Seems like a whole lotta effort and money for a street car. I'd get some matched shocks and springs and set it and forget it.

tonymission 06-11-2019 10:18 AM

Do I need to buy the inner and outer tie rods on this page in addition to the bump steer kit?

Vegas993 06-11-2019 11:24 AM

No, the bumpsteer kit replaces those.

tonymission 06-12-2019 04:11 PM

I called Elephant to discuss the Minty and what my goals were for the car... probably do about 500 miles a year, no track or anything like that. Just want it riding nice and looking better.
Already ordered my KW V3s since I have them on my other car and love 'em

Here's the quote they replied with, seems way over the top, but hoping someone smarter than I can chime in with what might be unnecessary or a stupid idea for this particular car given my goals and the value of my car.

- Front strut top shock bushing $562
- Front rubber bushing for lower control arm $200
- Front lower control arm rubber sport hardness bushing $158
- 935 X QuickChange front strut brace $580
- Ball joint $280
- Front tie rod kit with adjustable bump steer / angled head $550
- Drop link set adjustable length and spherical bearing $325
- 20mm front sway bar bushing $60
- Rear shock mount $340
- Trailing arm rubber bushing kit sport hardness $750
- Spring plate monoball cartridge kit $560
- 18mm rear sway bar bushing $38
- Drop link set, adjustable length spherical bearing w/boots $250

Subtotal: $4653

Seems *excessive*, but I really don't know what half this sh*t is. I just want to lower the car a bit and refresh for a occasional drive without getting too carried away or negatively effecting the value of the car.
I know some will say to do absolutely nothing and wrap the car in bubble wrap, but that's not really me. Still, I can appreciate the history of the car and don't want to be the guy who messes it all up.

chsu74 06-12-2019 11:10 PM

^drive it first as is without anything. Then find a fully sorted 964 from a member here and drive that car.

Then, suggest you do suspension, front control arm bushings, (front tie rods and end links if necessary) and then just drive it. This is not going on track so it is not going to be pushed.

Can't imagine all those bushings have timed out. If so, then go back in once you are familiar with the car.

I never like doing long list part swaps. You never know what changed the character of the car. It makes sense with on the way stuff but just to throw $5K of bits like this is a bit much.

Don't you own a few 964s? Definitely drive it first without doing anything except buying an extra DME.

I am sorting out my barn find 51K mile 964 and just driving it first except mechanical maintenance stuff like plugs, filters and fluids for baselining.

Dtronics 06-12-2019 11:38 PM

I did V3’s and the Elephant bump steer kit on my 25k mile C2. My shop talked me out of doing more because it’s a street car. The car drives great. I didn’t want to take it too far from original and I love it. Here’s how it looks...
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...cf947a511.jpeg

tonymission 06-13-2019 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by chsu74 (Post 15904084)
^drive it first as is without anything. Then find a fully sorted 964 from a member here and drive that car.

Then, suggest you do suspension, front control arm bushings, (front tie rods and end links if necessary) and then just drive it. This is not going on track so it is not going to be pushed.

Can't imagine all those bushings have timed out. If so, then go back in once you are familiar with the car.

I never like doing long list part swaps. You never know what changed the character of the car. It makes sense with on the way stuff but just to throw $5K of bits like this is a bit much.

Don't you own a few 964s? Definitely drive it first without doing anything except buying an extra DME.

I am sorting out my barn find 51K mile 964 and just driving it first except mechanical maintenance stuff like plugs, filters and fluids for baselining.

This is good advice. Really the only thing I'm in a hurry to do is to lower the car a bit so it satisfies my visual requirements. Then I can drive it a little and get a feel for the car.
I do have a couple others and they're both pretty sorted out from a suspension standpoint... they're different setups and I can't really tell the difference either way so I'm probably the kind of guy who doesn't need $5k in suspension upgrades. LOL

Originally Posted by Dtronics (Post 15904120)
I did V3’s and the Elephant bump steer kit on my 25k mile C2. My shop talked me out of doing more because it’s a street car. The car drives great. I didn’t want to take it too far from original and I love it. Here’s how it looks...
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...cf947a511.jpeg

That *looks perfect*!! Very nice man ... so just bump steer kit, no inner tie rods?

964Luftballoon 06-13-2019 09:41 AM

You might have or have not but in case you haven't check out Goughary's Suspension madness thread. He's made good suggestions on what he feels you should and shouldn't do. i.e. Spring Plates - check the bushings if they're good there really isn't a need to replace it. I would start with the bare minimum first like coilovers and go from there. Also, I will say unless you plan to lower further than RS height I don't really think a bumpsteer kit is needed and that might even be a stretch.

Dtronics 06-13-2019 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by tonymission (Post 15904541)
That *looks perfect*!! Very nice man ... so just bump steer kit, no inner tie rods?

Thanks! I just did the bump steer kit and I’m at 8mm lower than RS height in front.

imdvs 06-13-2019 10:11 AM

I'm in exactly the same position except I have a 993. I have a new set of V3s, would like to go to RS height and have been paralyzed about what other suspension components to change. My car will only be street driven buts it's easy to be sucked into the rabbit-hole of replacing a bunch of components that, I feel, don't need to be replaced on a street car. This thread has been instrumental in helping me decide to just go with the V3s and the bump steer kit. Thanks

chsu74 06-13-2019 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Infinite1
You might have or have not but in case you haven't check out Goughary's Suspension madness thread. He's made good suggestions on what he feels you should and shouldn't do. i.e. Spring Plates - check the bushings if they're good there really isn't a need to replace it.

Rob graciously offered his car for me to drive.. I still cannot decide if it is a good thing or not. My list has lengthened for sure.. :)

My plan is to have him drive my modded 3TT and make him sell one of his organs/kids..

964Luftballoon 06-13-2019 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by chsu74 (Post 15904631)
Rob graciously offered his car for me to drive.. I still cannot decide if it is a good thing or not. My list has lengthened for sure.. :)

My plan is to have him drive my modded 3TT and make him sell one of his organs/kids..

It's a rabbit hole isn't it?

Hahah...yeah I'd probably be selling an organ or two myself for a 3TT

964Lovac 01-24-2020 11:28 AM

I'm in the middle of this process as we speak.
What did you end up going with Tony?
I am going to refresh the suspension (looking at Goughary's thread as "inspiration").
I have a C4 on the Bilstein/H&R red spring combo- right now I am at about RS+10, would like to be a hair lower though.
Should I spring for the bumpsteer correcting kit? Or just purchase regular stock tie rods? I do a lot of driving, but it is mostly street/mountains. I used to track the car in the past and do like the "stiffer" feel. Just ordered ERP Sport bushings for the control arms.

_Remi 01-24-2020 01:10 PM

Some info on what I did: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...h-kw-v1-3.html

It took a few iterations to get it right but it is brilliant right now!

964Lovac 01-25-2020 09:49 AM

So after a bit more research-
I think I will do the Tarrett RSR inners mated to the stock outer tie rods.

Will report back once I get it all ordered/installed!

titleistaddict87 01-25-2020 12:34 PM

What made you go this way versus the elephant racing kit? Asking because I’m in the same boat and trying to decide for my street car as well.

964Lovac 01-25-2020 01:13 PM

Honestly, it was a mix of price and seeing that if I lower below RS height that the car wouldn't benefit from elephant racing.

But, as always, I am open to being convinced otherwise!

GentlemanRacer 01-25-2020 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by 964Lovac (Post 16376706)
So after a bit more research-
I think I will do the Tarrett RSR inners mated to the stock outer tie rods.

Will report back once I get it all ordered/installed!

Thats all you need. The outers are strong as heck and don't really need replacing. Change bushings on the front control arm if they are old or worn. You don't need the bump steer for anything up to RS height.

964Lovac 01-25-2020 02:35 PM

Good to know!
I have the Elephant Racing sport bushings in hand. Just gathering all the parts to jump in.
Will be ordering the Rennline ball joints that they advertise as being 20% stiffer than Lemforder/Porsche brand. Cheaper too, so seems worth a try!

Edit: Fixing an error- meant to write ball joints, not tie rods from Rennline.

I have an email out to Rstrada about ERP about their inner tie rods. Hope I can order soon.

911Jetta 01-27-2020 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by 964Lovac (Post 16377187)
...Will be ordering the Rennline tie rods that they advertise as being 20% stiffer than Lemforder/Porsche brand. Cheaper too, so seems worth a try!

Speaking of Rennline, while you're in there, Rennline HD series ball joints.
https://www.rennline.com/Rennline-HD...nfo/S%2D03014/

964Lovac 01-27-2020 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by 911Jetta (Post 16380592)
Speaking of Rennline, while you're in there, Rennline HD series ball joints.
https://www.rennline.com/Rennline-HD...nfo/S%2D03014/

Yes! I stupidly mixed up ball joints with tie rods in my last post - updated it to correct myself.
Will be ordering their ball joints. Have you been happy with them?

911Jetta 01-27-2020 12:33 PM

I did them while upgrading the steering rack brace/bushings and Elephant tie rod kit. One of my ball joints was worn, so I'm glad I did it.
I had a couple parts installed and a complete new geo/suspension setting I can't isolate any one part. All of it together is really nice though.

Greekc6 03-26-2020 11:14 PM

Just bought kw v3’s and I guess elephant racing bump steer is a good street setup. Anymore feed back from those guys a season later?

Rancie 03-27-2020 11:36 AM

I'm running my 64 at RS -20mm with no bumpsteer kit and have no bumpsteer issues that need driving around. You can run a 964 very low without the need for one if you set it up well. There is a thread of my build someone on this forum which may help