964 Forum
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

C2 Suspension refresh - RS ride height

Old 04-20-2019, 11:13 AM
Vegas993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've ridden in a 964 that was low on V3's and the front end also bounced - really rapid little bounces. That would drive me insane. I know they are adjustable but the car's owner works for Porsche! I think that once they are out of the "sweet spot" they become unruly.

The H&R Deep Coilovers available in the States through Rotiform are designed for going low, I know several people running them... https://rotiform.myshopify.com/collections/suspension
Old 04-20-2019, 11:36 AM
Dtronics
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vegas993 View Post
I've ridden in a 964 that was low on V3's and the front end also bounced - really rapid little bounces. That would drive me insane. I know they are adjustable but the car's owner works for Porsche! I think that once they are out of the "sweet spot" they become unruly.

The H&R Deep Coilovers available in the States through Rotiform are designed for going low, I know several people running them... https://rotiform.myshopify.com/collections/suspension
Thanks man. Iíve had V3ís before on BMWís and experienced that ďbouncyĒ feeling, the cars were pretty low. Iím curious to hear if the Elephant kits helps to stop this.

Ive looked at those deep coilovers. I ran H&R street coilovers on an Audi S5. From my experience, the H&Rís arenít as good as KW, Bilstein, etc but for the street, they get the job done and this is a street car. It seems like you have a relationship with Brian at Rotiform, hook up a deal? Kidding
Old 04-20-2019, 11:44 AM
Vegas993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Most H&R Coilovers use Bilstein internals, conversely I'm pretty sure H&R makes the Springs for Bilstein Coilovers.

I've also had H&R's on several Audis and VW's from standard to ultra low. The Deeps are not the same as H&R Street in any way.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:49 AM
Dtronics
Addict
Rennlist Member

Most H&R Coilovers use Bilstein internals, conversely I'm pretty sure H&R makes the Springs for Bilstein Coilovers.

I've also had H&R's on several Audis and VW's from standard to ultra low. The Deeps are not the same as H&R Street in any way.
Do you happen to know the lowering ranges on the deep setup? Rotiforms site says up to 120mm but do know the full range off the top of your head? I believe the street set is 1-1.7Ē both front and rear.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:59 AM
Vegas993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't but if I had to guess I would say 40mm is probably the minimum. My car is pretty low and there are some lower than mine. I could probably raise mine to above RS.

Found a crappy pic from when I installed them in 2013...

Old 04-20-2019, 12:13 PM
Dtronics
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't but if I had to guess I would say 40mm is probably the minimum. My car is pretty low and there are some lower than mine. I could probably raise mine to above RS.

Found a crappy pic from when I installed them in 2013...
Nice. I didnít realize you were running these on your car. Did you do anything else to your suspension when you installed these?

Im curious to find the ranges so Iíll reach out to rotiform. These go way lower than I would want but itís an option. It seems like V3ís and H&Rís are the only kits in the price range that go below 40mm in the front. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:31 PM
Vegas993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would rather run these high as opposed to running the others lower than they were designed to go.

I did new OEM mounts when I installed, that's it. It's a weekend car and I drive it down for Luft every year but that's about it.

I have a set of Elephant Racing tie rods getting ready to go in. While I may be too low to truly benefit, they can't hurt and I like the idea of the solid inner tie rods, especially for the money.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:57 PM
Lorenzoh
User

Originally Posted by Goughary View Post
Lorenzoh- depends on what you mean by "bounce"....

Bump steer is an issue at the lowest level w those struts, as it's lower than rs+10....but that's not "bounce" in my head....bounce to me would be more about rebound. Which would require revalving the bilsteins, which is easy enough to have done.
thanks for the clarification. Are you suggesting that my front shocks are worn out/need rebuilding? They are the stock Bilstein HDs so Iím not sure why theyíd need to be revalved?
Old 04-20-2019, 08:01 PM
Lorenzoh
User

Originally Posted by Dtronics View Post
Do you have a side angle picture of your car? Iíd like to see your setup at the lowest possible height.
here ya go:

Old 04-20-2019, 08:22 PM
Dtronics
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh View Post
here ya go:
looks good! Are those the blue/purple H&R sport springs?
Old 04-20-2019, 08:33 PM
Lorenzoh
User

looks good! Are those the blue/purple H&R sport springs?
Thanks!!

These are the ones I bought:

H&R 29813 Sport Spring
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-20-2019, 08:39 PM
Dtronics
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks!!

These are the ones I bought:

H&R 29813 Sport Spring https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7LVXEC..._GV6UCb3CDQF5N
Yup, those are the ones I thought... thanks. Hopefully you can get that bounce issue figured out.

Iím still debating what to do. I know this topic has been discussed countless times but I always like getting up to date information/ feedback.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:51 PM
Lorenzoh
User

Yup, those are the ones I thought... thanks. Hopefully you can get that bounce issue figured out.

Iím still debating what to do. I know this topic has been discussed countless times but I always like getting up to date information/ feedback.
For the street, I think the PSS 9 or 10s are overkill. Sure theyíre adjustable, but Iíd rather have something thatís fixed and works well. Plus Iím not a fan of getting down on the ground and reached under the car playing with the settings. This is the third HR/Bilstein combo Iíve had and I love it. Just wish I could figure out why the front end is so bouncy....or as mentioned above the rebound seems out of whack. Not sure what the term is for it but Iím wondering now if my front shocks are not valved properly for the HR spring rate. If thatís the case, then did I get a bad batch?
Anyway, itís only bad over really rough surfaces...on smooth pavement theyíre amazing.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:54 PM
Peteinjp
Addict
Rennlist Member

For the street, I think the PSS 9 or 10s are overkill. Sure theyíre adjustable, but Iíd rather have something thatís fixed and works well. Plus Iím not a fan of getting down on the ground and reached under the car playing with the settings. This is the third HR/Bilstein combo Iíve had and I love it. Just wish I could figure out why the front end is so bouncy....or as mentioned above the rebound seems out of whack. Not sure what the term is for it but Iím wondering now if my front shocks are not valved properly for the HR spring rate. If thatís the case, then did I get a bad batch?
Anyway, itís only bad over really rough surfaces...on smooth pavement theyíre amazing.
Bilstein will work with you re-valve shock to your needs if you contact their office in Cali. I did that with my old bmw 2002tii and it worked out well. Maybe you can simply describe the problem and send in the shocks.

Pete
Old 04-20-2019, 10:36 PM
Goughary
Super User

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
thanks for the clarification. Are you suggesting that my front shocks are worn out/need rebuilding? They are the stock Bilstein HDs so Iím not sure why theyíd need to be revalved?
Noooooo, I'm saying you clips just have the bilsteins revolves to feel however you like. If you believe they go low enough, which for RS +10, they do, and if you like the spring rates you have, sending them off to be revalued is a lot cheaper than buying a new setup.

If you switch to a "better" coilover set, you will likely end up with a higher spring rate, and will be over sprung when you have them set to the soft settings, which could be reason for the bounce. And the reports of the bounce in the kw v3 previously noted. As the spring rates will be more appropriate for the stiffer settings.

Anyway it's worth a call to bilstein to discuss. As it may get you what you want, and save you a few thousand in the process.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: