Sponsored by:

C2 Suspension refresh - RS ride height

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 07:21 PM
Dtronics
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Up to you if you want sways too. May or may not be necessary.
one thing you may consider is rsr type solid inner link on the steering rack. This removes the rubber and makes a real difference in steering feel.

Actually looks like elephants tie rod kit includes that. Def consider those
The sway bars are the only thing that I’m on the fence about. I’m not sure if I need them and I don’t want to spend around $1k if they aren’t really necessary. I can always add those later.

Originally Posted by LPMM
I refreshed mine with OEM stuff because there were a few folks reporting fitment issues with the Elephant kit and/or no real added value based on seat of pants feeling.
I tried to find threads on fitment issues but I couldn’t find them. Do you recall what the specific issues were?
Old 03-09-2019, 07:57 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Subscribed. Great info! Phase 2 for me will be changing our the suspension bits on my c4 @197k miles
Old 03-09-2019, 08:22 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I had zero problems with fitment of Elephant products.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:30 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Dtronics
I tried to find threads on fitment issues but I couldn’t find them. Do you recall what the specific issues were?
I had issues fitting them to a 89 C4 for 16” wheels. They hit the rim. Also after cutting the thread they were still very close to the rim and I couldn’t dial in enough toe as did one other. Threads:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...r-install.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...r-issue-2.html
Old 03-09-2019, 10:51 PM
Dtronics
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spokes

I had issues fitting them to a 89 C4 for 16” wheels. They hit the rim. Also after cutting the thread they were still very close to the rim and I couldn’t dial in enough toe as did one other. Threads:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...r-install.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...r-issue-2.html
Thanks for digging those up. So it sounds like the early cars with D90’s had some issues. I’m assuming if someone is running 17” or 18” wheels, this isn’t an issue? Also, if you’re running 16” wheels, it’s seem like using a Dremel to shorten the thread is the fix which isn’t ideal but not a huge job.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:59 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 140 Posts

Thanks for digging those up. So it sounds like the early cars with D90’s had some issues. I’m assuming if someone is running 17” or 18” wheels, this isn’t an issue? Also, if you’re running 16” wheels, it’s seem like using a Dremel to shorten the thread is the fix which isn’t ideal but not a huge job.
I did manage to cut off enough thread to clear 16” wheels, but then ran into the issue of running out of thread on the tie rod and I couldn’t dial in enough toe. Again there is another fix: with a bit of milling. But by then and new product requiring these mods, I threw in the towel and returned them. I went with FVD inner and outer tie rods.

I have Elephant sport rubbers, and rear suspension hats and they work fine. But I am suspicious of the bump steers trying to cut across 964 and 993 and variations.

Last edited by Spokes; 03-09-2019 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-09-2019, 11:08 PM
Dtronics
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spokes

I did manage to cut off enough thread to clear 16” wheels, but then ran into the issue of running out of thread on the tie rod and I couldn’t dial in enough toe. Again there is another fix: with a bit of milling. But by then and new product requiring these mods, I threw in the towel and returned them. I went with FVD inner and outer tie rods.

I have Elephant sport rubbers, and rear suspension hats and they work fine. But I am suspicious of the bump steers trying to cut across 964 and 993 and variations.
Good feedback. It looks like the Tarret kit is also 964/993. This is another option from ERP: https://www.rstrada.com/suspension/erp-964-tie-rod-kit
Old 03-10-2019, 04:11 AM
erikerik
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 42 Posts

Here’s some additions to your set up. Replace the rear spring plates with ERP Monoballs and also install RS engine mounts.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:43 PM
Dtronics
Instructor

Originally Posted by erikerik
Here’s some additions to your set up. Replace the rear spring plates with ERP Monoballs and also install RS engine mounts.
Thanks. RS engine mounts are done already so that box is checked. I was debating the spring plates, is it worth the additional $1k or so (parts and install)?
Old 03-10-2019, 02:46 PM
erikerik
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks. RS engine mounts are done already so that box is checked. I was debating the spring plates, is it worth the additional $1k or so (parts and install)?

imo... since you are refreshing the rest of your suspension it makes sense to refresh the last bushings in your suspension.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:42 PM
Dtronics
Instructor

I’m planning to order suspension parts now but having some second thoughts. I’m looking to go slightly above (+10) RS height but it’s a street car. I’m debating V3’s vs PSS10’s which are both close in price. I had a shop recommend B6’s and H&R’s but I don’t know if that will get the height as low as I want. I have the same concern with the PSS10’s having a max 40mm drop. I’ve also read mixed things on the V3’s but they’ll definitely give me more than enough drop. I ran V3’s on a BMW M car and it was a little “bouncy” but overall I liked them. Again, looking for RS + height so any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:19 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

You can get rs +10 w bilstein b6 and hr springs...

If you do the KW , remember to install the step down washers in the bottom hole, as they are drilled for 993 uprights.

Pss10 are expensive for what they are. But easier to set up than kw, since it's one **** does all.

Check w butzigear for some options as well. I'm sure dave can get you not only a better price on the kw, but he also carries jrz, and he would have some ideas relative to price that could fit the bill for you.

If i had it to do again, I'd not buy kw v3 and would have paid up just a bit and gotten more bang for the buck...

All that said- purely for street use- and not for really hard driving. But normal street quick...bilstein b6 and hr is a great combo- use the oem top hats up front and monoballs in the rear. Feels great and the handling is very good for street. And it doesn't cost nearly as much.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:42 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
You can get rs +10 w bilstein b6 and hr springs...

If you do the KW , remember to install the step down washers in the bottom hole, as they are drilled for 993 uprights.

Pss10 are expensive for what they are. But easier to set up than kw, since it's one **** does all.

Check w butzigear for some options as well. I'm sure dave can get you not only a better price on the kw, but he also carries jrz, and he would have some ideas relative to price that could fit the bill for you.

If i had it to do again, I'd not buy kw v3 and would have paid up just a bit and gotten more bang for the buck...

All that said- purely for street use- and not for really hard driving. But normal street quick...bilstein b6 and hr is a great combo- use the oem top hats up front and monoballs in the rear. Feels great and the handling is very good for street. And it doesn't cost nearly as much.
i went with the HR/Bilstein HD on my car. It’s a complete transformation of the cars suspension and dynamics. But, I’m getting a lot of bounce from the front end. It’s not banging on the bump stops...I know what that feels like. I have it set to The lowest possible ride height front and rear and the forward rake is perfect. But, the front axle bounce is sometimes irritating. Could you suggest something to fix it? Perhaps the elephant racing bump steer correction kit?
Thanks in advance
Old 04-20-2019, 01:44 AM
Dtronics
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
i went with the HR/Bilstein HD on my car. It’s a complete transformation of the cars suspension and dynamics. But, I’m getting a lot of bounce from the front end. It’s not banging on the bump stops...I know what that feels like. I have it set to The lowest possible ride height front and rear and the forward rake is perfect. But, the front axle bounce is sometimes irritating. Could you suggest something to fix it? Perhaps the elephant racing bump steer correction kit?
Thanks in advance
Do you have a side angle picture of your car? I’d like to see your setup at the lowest possible height.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:08 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Lorenzoh- depends on what you mean by "bounce"....

Bump steer is an issue at the lowest level w those struts, as it's lower than rs+10....but that's not "bounce" in my head....bounce to me would be more about rebound. Which would require revalving the bilsteins, which is easy enough to have done.

Quick Reply: C2 Suspension refresh - RS ride height