964 Carrera vs 964 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 07:13 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts
Default 964 Carrera vs 964 Turbo

Hey there

I now owe a 92 964 turbo, And I have owned 964 cab and 993 cab. If you could which one would you own 964 or 964 Turbo and why, Pro's and con's ?

Helio
Old 03-06-2019, 04:33 AM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

errr......964 Turbo-LOOK..

Mark
Old 03-06-2019, 06:38 AM
peterpullin
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

i always would choose the turbo again. it is the optics, the beast in your back, the limited numbers alive.
cons are the higher (x3) costs for everything special. it pays back each mile....!

91 turbo x33, silver

drove 964 cab and 930 wls cab in the past....,
Old 03-06-2019, 09:01 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I’m looking forward to reading the replies as I have not yet had an opportunity to try out the turbo. But cost aside I do think the widebody looks awesome and why would anyone argue with having more power?
Old 03-06-2019, 09:28 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Turbo hands down. The C2 is more engaging and nimble but nothing like the rush the turbo offers.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:33 AM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 273 Posts

I can't keep my hands off a car. I modify all of my cars and I am not sure I could let myself do that with a turbo. I guess all of my mods on my Turbo-Look are reversible so it doesn't really matter. For me, I think it would be a stressful ownership, but that could all be relative to income. If I made twice as much, would I feel the same? Not sure. I think the car is SO badass and would be an absolute hoot to drive.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 03-06-2019, 11:40 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Non-Turbo, in both narrow or wide form. The lighter the better also.

Given the engine layout, I love the way a normally aspirated flat six responds and handles on curvy mountain roads.
Turbos seem to be more point and shoot. Fun in a straight line, but difficult to time on the back roads.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:06 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta

Given the engine layout, I love the way a normally aspirated flat six responds and handles on curvy mountain roads.
Turbos seem to be more point and shoot. Fun in a straight line, but difficult to time on the back roads.
Agree. There is no right answer or one answer that is correct for everyone.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 03-06-2019, 01:22 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta

That was my experience. Loved my ‘93 Turbo 3.6, but my main driving is curving back roads and the C4 does a better job of that.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:18 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Different strokes...different folks. Never driven a NA 964 - but if you are in the right gear the turbo motor is incredibly responsive with immediate power. Incredibly fun in the twisties - whether it's a canyon or scenic byway. That said I'd take any of them. Do prefer wide body tho.

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
Old 03-06-2019, 09:51 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

And they call me crazy. Any 964 is a fantastic experience but I found I needed to build my own. The turbo is such a unique experience. With a few bolt on tweaks they are amazing but very on/off compared to the C2 a true drivers car requiring far more shifting. Going beyond the question asked a well setup widebody with narrow body rear suspension and all the extras is an entirely different animal. Boosted or high revving with short gearbox preferably some 993 components and you will know why people like singers, for far less coin. I wish I made my track car more street friendly but I might need to build a street version one day. The 3.8RS clone for the street with a bit more go and some newer 993 components would be my ideal 964, or sports car of any vintage.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:23 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
And they call me crazy. Any 964 is a fantastic experience but I found I needed to build my own. The turbo is such a unique experience. With a few bolt on tweaks they are amazing but very on/off compared to the C2 a true drivers car requiring far more shifting. Going beyond the question asked a well setup widebody with narrow body rear suspension and all the extras is an entirely different animal. Boosted or high revving with short gearbox preferably some 993 components and you will know why people like singers, for far less coin. I wish I made my track car more street friendly but I might need to build a street version one day. The 3.8RS clone for the street with a bit more go and some newer 993 components would be my ideal 964, or sports car of any vintage.
So much here. Can you expand on your points about widebody with narrow body rear suspension-- why is that so good? Also, what 993 parts would you add? Thanks!
Old 03-07-2019, 06:09 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Anthony , i think you should compile all your 964 writings into a book or large document !

I hope to have a 964 coupe again , turbo or NA , but its so hard to come across a good one for sensible money these days
Old 03-07-2019, 07:03 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
Anthony , i think you should compile all your 964 writings into a book or large document !

I hope to have a 964 coupe again , turbo or NA , but its so hard to come across a good one for sensible money these days
The reason I started this thread was because I have noticed the prices on a really clean low mile 964 NA coupes have reached 964 Turbo territory, Soon you will have a choice if you're in the market for a 964 P Car. This should be interesting to see how the market plays out.

Last edited by heliolps2; 03-07-2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:26 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny

Hope to see you back in one. I think I may need to write a novel to explain this one. LOL
[/QUOTE]
Originally Posted by BLACK3.2
So much here. Can you expand on your points about widebody with narrow body rear suspension-- why is that so good? Also, what 993 parts would you add? Thanks!
To put it in simplest terms the turbo is a great car. It was built for high speed stability. More the autobahn cruiser than the NB cars. The wide track is great at high speeds. The faster you go the more comfortable and stable the car feels. The NB C2 becomes a bit squirmy at high speeds in comparison especially with the pop up tail. The issue with the turbo is the rear trailing arms. They are huge and far heavier in comparison and when you drive on less than perfect roads they are slow at reacting in comparison. The turbo has a harder time keeping rear traction on imperfect surfaces and this becomes apparent when driving them back to back something I have the luxury of doing. So what I find is the NB cars are more nimble and handle rough surfaces better not quite as well as a 993 but they also have that old school feel and handling the 993 is missing by being more refined.

The turbo also has that long gearing and the added effect of the boost that makes it feel more GT3 like in the way the power comes on. You do not shift the car as often and in many cases just put you foot down and the car launches you forward with a vengeance. A few bolt on mods and the power is intense and is much faster than the numbers show. On back roads you don't need to shift as much to keep the power up and is more point and shoot in comparison.

I built my track car as a tribute to the 3.8RS. It has the narrow body rear suspension and uses the turbo outboard front settings. I also included 993 longitudinals which push the front out an additional 12.5mm per side along with 993 RS/EVO uprights and 993 RS brakes all around. This required other 993 parts to make it work as well. In this case I sourced a 993 N/A engine that had a protomotive twin turbo setup and a 993 6 speed box with all short gears and 40/60 LSD. Lightened to 2650 pounds dry it has all the benefits of the NB and WB cars the power of a turbo and the gearing similar to a C2 so it requires more interaction than the 964 turbo 3.6 to keep up the power and if I drive it on the street it is an amazing car albeit a bit rough for local roads, On track the car is capable of far more than I am. I am gradually picking back up the pace as I get accustomed to GT3RS speeds out of a 964 although I have been spending the past few months making changes. running 9.5" wide front wheels with 265's and no power steering was a bit more than my wife liked so I am adding a cup car electric power steering pump. I am also reworking the engine changing compression and tuning it with a stand alone ECU. As much fun as both the C2 and turbo 3.6 are on the street this car is really in a league of its own in comparison. There is no noticeable lag has ridiculous power and handling. I am currently running a NLA H&R cup car suspension but plan to switch to MCS 3 way to make it even more compliant and enjoyable. Ideally I would love to build another with less focus on track and more on street but finding a donor is tough and i can't justify cutting up clean examples. So for now I will live with what I have.

PS I have no doubt if this was put up against a singer it would make minced meet out of it.

Quick Reply: 964 Carrera vs 964 Turbo