Sponsored by:

Give your 964 a day off

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 07:38 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Give your 964 a day off

As the 964 has become so valuable, I have become reluctant to drive it on a daily basis as I have in the past. I don't commute, so mileage is less than 5k a year but I am more fearful of the other drivers here in Los Angeles, a huge number of which are either on the phone or texting.

After what happened to Udo (Jetta), having his lovely slate grey car totaled, I realized, I would never be able to replace my Cobalt over blue C2 coupe, if a random nut job decided to mate with the rear of my car.

When the prices of 996s reached the low teens, I looked into getting one to beat on; my daughters are wannabe hot shoes and love to thrash the 964 at AutoX and track days. I don't mind time trials but I don't really want to watch the girls go door handle to door handle in traffic down the straights in the 964 at a big track. And they don't either, don't want to prang dad's car and I think it was holding them back.

But I cannot bring myself to love the 996. I drove a few; very quick, great brakes, all mod cons. Yet from the left seat, no 911 view between the headlight tunnels, too quiet, not much driver feedback and surprisingly, more rattles than a can of screws. The car is big, heavy and as Steve Weiner told me, the first utterly "disposable" Porsche.

The Cayman is a fantastic car but the right examples are still too costly; the budget was $15k. A Boxster was overruled by mom as not having a roof.

So I bought a 95 e36 M3. Ironically, good ones are no easier to find than a 964, especially if you don't want silver, red, white or black. I have a color reputation to maintain after all. And no Dove Grey interiors, which eliminates about %65 of them. I checked everywhere, all the possible places including some very strange forums, places where Yo and Dude are pronouns. A vast amount of the original production run have been horribly disfigured or modified, forced induction or homemade turbo kits are a popular addition. I learned what "slammed" meant. In the end I found one on the BMWCA site, 68 year old long time member and this was his child, he had none naturally.

I realize this is a 964 forum but if you are looking to put a few less miles on your car, the M3 is a total surprise. The handling is phenomenal, comes from the factory with LSD, full leather sport seats, a real backseat, huge trunk; you can pick up someone from the airport(!), nice looking wheels and that German smell of hard work and leaderhosen. Did I mention the handling? I live off of Mulholland Drive, know the braking/turn in points, I do believe the M3 would stick like glue to the rear of the 964. Plus it is easily as involving as the 964, in its own way, a real drivers car. Just wanted to share here as I have heard some other folks are getting reluctant to go out as much in their 964s during the week, in traffic. I changed the entire cooling system, every bushing and fluid line, am in the car mid teens. Some on BAT are going over $25k so don't wait forever, a well known local Porsche flipper has one for $45k, proving yet again that Marijuana is legal in CA.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:20 PM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

NC Miata Club is my daily fun car. It even does ok in the snow with snow tires and an lsd. They are cheap as chips too.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:49 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Always had a soft spot for the e36 even though not a huge fan of BMW. That’s a beautiful color. If I could find one in that color in the mid teens and sorted? That would be awesome!
Old 02-27-2019, 08:49 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 149 Posts

Nice car man, those M3 are beautiful modern classics. BUT who cares about the value of the 964, you bought it to enjoy it, only more reason to drive the snot out of it lol...
Old 02-27-2019, 09:59 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Haha, well said T, there is snot all over the garage floor! I'm not a seller so the current values are not a factor, let me know when you guys in the SoBay go out for a spin, I'm there in Cobalt.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:48 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

There are a number of nice cars becoming available for reasonable money these days. The E36 M3 is a nice ride your daughters are lucky. Although lately as I have gotten older for my DD I just love my 13 Ford Raptor. It is a blast to drive and I don't have to worry about anyone trying to cut me off or give me a hard time. It is a bit intimidating and that 6.2l is no slouch especially with the work I've done.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:08 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

^^^ passes everything on the road except a gas station?
Old 02-27-2019, 11:33 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

That is a great color for the E36!

Although I do agree with Tarek, drive that 964! Having said that, about three weeks ago I started searching for a 2004-2006 Mini Cooper S Coupe Manual.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:03 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
That is a great color for the E36!

Although I do agree with Tarek, drive that 964! Having said that, about three weeks ago I started searching for a 2004-2006 Mini Cooper S Coupe Manual.
There is a little french spot i goto in Down Town long beach called Creme De La crepe (my favorite nutella crepe spot) and the barista there has exactly the car you are looking for and is thinking about selling it, i'll get you some info this sunday when i go.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:12 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Great post!

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
...After what happened to Udo (Jetta), having his lovely slate grey car totaled, I realized, I would never be able to replace my Cobalt over blue C2 coupe, if a random nut job decided to mate with the rear of my car.
Very true. Hated losing that gorgeous Slate Grey machine, now even more nervous about losing a Cobalt car...

...But I cannot bring myself to love the 996. I drove a few; very quick, great brakes, all mod cons. Yet from the left seat, no 911 view between the headlight tunnels, too quiet, not much driver feedback and surprisingly, more rattles than a can of screws. The car is big, heavy and as Steve Weiner told me, the first utterly "disposable" Porsche. The Cayman is a fantastic car but the right examples are still too costly; the budget was $15k. A Boxster was overruled by mom as not having a roof.
Not to sidetrack this M3 thread, given a bigger budget, what do you or S.W. think of the 997?

...So I bought a 95 e36 M3. Ironically, good ones are no easier to find than a 964, especially if you don't want silver, red, white or black. I have a color reputation to maintain after all. And no Dove Grey interiors, which eliminates about %65 of them.
Color reputation. Love it!

Old 02-28-2019, 07:53 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
^^^ passes everything on the road except a gas station?
LOL. It does suck that 36 gallon tank down fast. But no worse than my C2 or turbo at WOT. At least it uses regular.

Last edited by cobalt; 02-28-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:04 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
There is a little french spot i goto in Down Town long beach called Creme De La crepe (my favorite nutella crepe spot) and the barista there has exactly the car you are looking for and is thinking about selling it, i'll get you some info this sunday when i go.
Thanks Tarek!
Old 02-28-2019, 09:53 AM
Jarod964
Banned

Received 155 Likes on 80 Posts

I just went through the exact same situation. Bought the 964 to drive (and DD'd it for a while) but as values climb I have more and more trouble taking it out into the world. Decided to pick up a clean 944 Turbo to serve as daily summer fun and a track thrashing car, but a couple days ago I got back in the seat of the 964.....long story short, the 944 will be for sale in the next few weeks. So many awesome cars out there but nothing compares to the 964, so my new train of thought is "you only live once". That looks like an awesome E36 you've found - it will look great next to the 964 (and it's in my all time favourite E36 M3 colour). I think the E36 offers enough of a difference from the 964 that you will enjoy owning both together. I miss my M3 and this thread is making me hit autotrader again....
Old 02-28-2019, 11:43 AM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 273 Posts

Love the M3 (and 964 obviously). I sometimes have to remind myself to just drive my cars and not think about it. I have a WB 964 which are pretty darn rare and a cherry 27k mile competition package M3. Fortunately, I work from home and do not have a commute so that help out big-time. My 3rd car is a M62 (V8) swapped 1987 BMW 325is. I literally have no practical, year-round vehicle aside from my wife's Highlander. You just have to drive these cars and not think about accidents.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 02-28-2019, 12:03 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Great post!

Very true. Hated losing that gorgeous Slate Grey machine, now even more nervous about losing a Cobalt car...

Not to sidetrack this M3 thread, given a bigger budget, what do you or S.W. think of the 997?

Color reputation. Love it!

Udo, I did drive a 997 albeit a Turbo S, awesome performance but I didn't feel connected to the car at any time. Also, the girls are 22 and 27, just starting out on the HPDE road, not sure a 997 isn't too much car for them.

As for the fear of accidents destroying the 964, I agree, it is more important to drive it than garage it. I remember a grand old dame once telling me to "fly 1st class, or your heirs will".
A short while back I was in the fast lane slowly pulling up to a red light, behind one other car, I decided last minute to do a U turn and got into the left turn lane. One second later, a Range Rover drove full tilt into the car I had been following. That would have been me.

One cannot avoid it, it is part of driving life; I just feel a M3 makes a fantastic learning platform for the girls, more carefree for them at the track and in traffic, plus we can all go to events in the same car with overnight togs in the trunk.

I am sharing here because it is such a great car, a real surprise, don't forget, C&D magazine called it the greatest handling car when compared to 7 other supercars of the time, including a Ferrari and a Porsche.

Quick Reply: Give your 964 a day off