Sponsored by:

At Last....

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 02:06 AM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts
Default At Last....

At Last...by the incomparable Etta James would be the single most best way to describe the feeling when I shook the hand of the previous custodian of my 964. This to signify that an agreement had been made between both parties and all that would be left was to process paperwork and keys. My soon to be known as Luftballoon would be coming home with her final and forever owner on March 23, 2018.

My story is like many of us here is one which started as young boys that fell in love with an automotive brand. That brand was Porsche. Fast forward to a few months before my 43rd birthday that dream was realized. As a long time lurker of the forum I've scoured threads to keep updated on prices and cars for sale. To my dismay I missed out on a few due to not being quick enough or it was just out of my budget. With the help of my good friend and fellow Rennlister Kricci I was able to find my car. Much to my surprise the car was one that I had missed out on during my search. The car was originally from Chicago and ended up in my neck of the woods. That car is a Guards Red 1991 Porsche 964 C4. With 195,000 miles on the clock I felt this was the car for me. A car that was enjoyed thoroughly by it's previous owners...

So now begins my journey into Porsche ownership...I'm in for a wild ride!

March 18th, 2018 - After initial phone conversations the week prior I met with face to face to discuss history (known and unknown) of the car, take it for a test drive, and make an offer.

March 23, 2018 - I FINALLY BOUGHT A PORSCHE!!!!! My dream came true and this 964 is with her final owner.

April 3, 2018 - Let the modding begin!!!! Nothing really major here just replacing some interior lights with LEDs from www.superbrightleds.com for something brighter. In addition to that I returned the rear view mirror back to the oem one.

April 19, 2018 - Replaced my hood ventilation grill screen and purchased a Rennline Phone mount

April 21, 2018 - I can't remember who on the forum said this but it certainly stuck. They said something to the effect...The one thing about older cars...next project isn't too far behind. That project came in the form of straightening my cars teeth. While I was at it I added some bumper plugs for now.

April 21, 2018 - In the middle of my teeth straightening I received an impulse purchase which has yet to be installed as budget is pushed towards a major project later in the year. What I had received was the Cult Werks air ducts for the front bumper and RS center section.

April 22, 2018 - Just some lazy Sunday Hooning and Photoshoot with Kricci and his 997 Turbo and 964 C4. Much to our photographer buddy's delight he was able to drive the other 964. To this day he is still itching for one and I tell him "scratch that itch!" HaHa!

April 29, 2018 - WooHoo! My customized plates have arrived - I give you Luftballoon!

Last edited by 964Luftballoon; 02-25-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:06 AM
964Luftballoon
Pro

May 12, 2018 - Went to my first ever PCA meet and greet and ran into an old friend who recently picked up a 944 Turbo. Not too many people that day and if i'm honest (I love all porsches) the classics are what get my heart pumping. Hope to do a photoshoot with "Retro" when i have the car back

May 13, 2018 - My first repair on the car...the passenger side motor decided to go out on me so as I replaced that...I discovered some other things that will needing to be addressed. i.e.new mirror motor, and moisture membrane between the door cards. At least it wasn't Friday the 13th

June 2, 2018 - My wife and I have been enjoying the early morning weekend cruises around the city and finding nice spots for photos. One in particular caught my eye every morning for 4 years as I ride the bus into downtown for work. It echoed Kricci's comment to me when I was looking for a Porsche. "You could settle for a 997 and be content...Or you can get a 964 and be truly happy" My buddy was right I went with truly happy....Sadly the graffiti isn't there anymore. The slate was cleaned and another graffiti project painted in it's place. Thanks to the artist for holding out long enough for me to get my car.

June 9, 2018 - First real issue with the car. It was the 70th celebration of Porsche and events were had at the three different dealerships. I woke up early to get a head start on the day as my wife needed to work later in the afternoon. We made it to the first event (Sorry didn't take pics...fail on my part) raced home to drop my wife off. Got gas and as I was headed to the North side of town to the next dealership. I hear a pop and dismissed it as I have a primary and secondary delete (Yes, my neighbors love me...the kids at least...parents is up for debate...Haha) I then start to notice the car's rpm was dropping then rising like it wanted to sputter. I exited the freeway and at a stop light the car shuts down and stalls. Luckily, I was able to get it started and there was a gas station right at the light for me to pull into. This was the end of my trip that dealership. However, I still made it to the last dealership just in my Infiniti

June 12, 2018 - That Monday the car started and i drove around my vicinity to burn some gas as I recalled that being the last thing I did prior to the issue. Not satisfied with burning gas to potentially solve the issue I hit the forums and searched for similar symptoms and the possible fixes. I ended up cleaning out my ISV and throttle body and the car runs the same as when I first picked it up! My first time tackling something engine related in a Porsche so I felt pretty accomplished! While I was at it I replaced the clips behind the airbox as one was missing and the other i kinda broke....

June till about September 2018 - Nothing much going on other than Drive, Drive, and DRIVE! I haven't done anything "fun" like Autocross or DE days yet as I'm simply enjoying the car. Trying to master the heel/toe shifting (yea I suck at it) "Granny shift not double-clutching like I should" - For those that get that reference And some major work will be happening toward the end of the year.
Randomly spotted by a friend of a friend. If you look close enough you might be able to see I can't seem to wipe the smile off my face....

September 26, 2018 - Another round of mods for the car. During the week I like to take the car out around my area and drive but one thing that worries me is the lighting and being visible. At some point I will replace the headlights with more modern ones from Francois at Flat6 Illuminations but in the meantime I've changed the brake lights and turn signals.

October 26, 2018 - Been enjoying the car till I noticed a little steering groan and looked and noticed some smoke coming from my heat exchange/exhaust tip. Upon further inspection the crush washer and power steering line were leaking. Thanks to this forum I was able to research and find out how to replace and flush my power steering pump.

If you all are still here and not bored to tears. Thanks for sticking with my journey thus far. Stay tuned for the next set of pics as I've mention some major stuff has happened and this should bring everyone up to speed on the current status. In the meantime, random photo...my car is a potato killer.....I have no idea how it got there but there was a random potato in the lot HAHAHA.

Last edited by 964Luftballoon; 02-25-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:07 AM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Default Phase 1 Modification: Engine Rebuild

November 19, 2018 - If you've been following along this far I've eluded to some major work needing to be completed. Prior to speaking with the seller or seeing the car I spoke to my mechanic/owner Jordan at Modern Aircooled here in Houston. He happened to perform some maintenance oil change, valve adjustment, etc. He noted a broken head stud on cylinder 6 and oil seeping to which the seller confirmed he knew about at the time of purchase. When the seller asked what it took to get it corrected without issues the idea of a rebuild was not something he would be able to do and the wife wasn't having it. Fast forward to me...Jordan had caught wind that I was in the market for a driver conditioned 964 and sat me down for a long discussion to go over what will be needed and the current status of the vehicle. After our discussion I got a clear picture of what was needed and gave me the information needed. I know...I know...I possibly broke every rule to buying a 964. That being said having a car local to me versus over an internet ad, forum post, and additional first hand knowledge of the car it gave me (as well as approval from my wife) to move forward with confidence. From this point after enjoying the car driving it everywhere with sheer joy I was ready to turn it in for the full engine rebuild! (Notice I said ready...has nothing to do with emotionally or financially...HAHA) Now on to the pictures! (Sorry I can be a bit verbose). Last pic.. as the uber took me to work...sadly it started raining..

Couple hours later the the engine was pulled and ready to be disassembled

Lets play a game....Spot the broken headstud!

December 7, 2018 - Remarkably all Pistons and cylinders were in good condition so where wasn't a need to order new ones. At this point I was contemplating moving up to a 3.8L Jordan suggested we stick with the 3.6 due mainly due to cost and really asking myself the question "Do I really need it?" Moving forward with the rest we split the case and rest of the items went to the machine shop.

December 21, 2018 - Some parts placed in parts washer to be cleaned up

January 9, 2019 - Post holiday festivities and other projects needing to be completed. The reassembly of and case started.

January 11, 2019 - The machine shop called and all heads were fine except one.....So a replacement needed to be ordered. In the meantime, remaining bits of the engine to be assembled save the one head.

January 29, 2019 - Still waiting on the head but in the meantime powder coated items came in: intake manifolds, valve covers, fan housing, and fan "while I was in there". At the same time, another customer was wanting to swap my 964 cams into his car and I would opt for bigger performance type cams. Sadly, it didn't happen b/c mine wouldn't fit or work (Can't remember the reason at the moment) So i'll be sticking with mine for now. With the unexpected head expense and now replacement fan due to cracks. I didn't want to push the budget anymore than necessary.

February 1, 2019 - Head came in and the completion of the assembly is underway. Now to focus the attention on the transmission. Clutch is worn (likely due to my terrible shifting skills LOL) As that was the case I decided to switch to a lightweight flywheel and clutch along with a Steve Wong chip. All necessary parts ordered and the wait begins again.

February 20, 2019 - Clutch and flywheel parts have come in and ready to be assembled and mounted on the car!

Last edited by 964Luftballoon; 02-26-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:48 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

I've been looking forward to this, now I'm looking forward to what comes next. Sweet looking car, I've never noticed a 964 without side indicators on the front wings before, looks nice and clean. Also what is the grille on your ducktail? Looks interesting.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:39 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

This car looks great, its "tastefully" modded and comes together as a nice pkg- The wheels and the duck tail look right on it- Good work man!
Old 02-25-2019, 08:53 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

I believe I know this car and the owner who installed the duck tail and wheels from years ago. It shows you how we are just caretakers and these cars and how they can offer so much joy for many generations and owners when properly cared for.

All the best, drive the stink out of it these cars love to be driven hard so don't be shy. LOL
Old 02-25-2019, 08:59 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Great looking 964! I’m looking forward to seeing more.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:30 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Congratulations and welcome to 964 ownership. Keep us posted on your mods and let us know if you need any help. This forum has a wealth of knowledge and lots of helpful people.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:07 PM
Jarod964
Banned

Received 155 Likes on 80 Posts

Great writeup. Will be following along! I remember this car all the way back to around 2010 when it was for sale in Chicago - then again seeing it just a couple years ago at Mancusso Motorsports. This exact car is one of a few that really sparked my love for the 964...I remember falling in love with the wheels in particular. I look forward to seeing how things progress!
Old 02-25-2019, 12:10 PM
Jarod964
Banned

Received 155 Likes on 80 Posts

Here is the exact car a loooong time ago when it was for sale.

And a couple more from when it was for sale at Mancuso!

Old 02-25-2019, 01:19 PM
F/51 LRS
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 68 Posts

Congrats on the purchase! There’s no going back now.
I see you’re in Houston, do you do any DEs or meet ups in the area? Would be fun to grab a coffee/beer, BS, and talk about cars.

Love 964s with a duck tail!
Old 02-25-2019, 03:07 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
This car looks great, its "tastefully" modded and comes together as a nice pkg- The wheels and the duck tail look right on it- Good work man!
+1 Plus the red tach. Love it! Keep us updated!
Old 02-25-2019, 07:53 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Thank you all for the kind words everyone! Just added a few more chronological pics.

Originally Posted by Dingo
I've been looking forward to this, now I'm looking forward to what comes next. Sweet looking car, I've never noticed a 964 without side indicators on the front wings before, looks nice and clean. Also what is the grille on your ducktail? Looks interesting.
Thanks for following along! The grill is actually a custom piece. I didn't like it at first as I felt louvers fit more on a mustang but it grew on me and I learned how hot (and felt) these engines get so the added airflow/dispersion from the bay is welcomed.

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Thank you sir! I appreciate the compliment. I definitely want to stick to that ethos when modifying the car more. I might not be quick with the modifications as I want to make sure i'm attaining of good balance of driver car and show-ish looking car.

Originally Posted by cobalt
I believe I know this car and the owner who installed the duck tail and wheels from years ago. It shows you how we are just caretakers and these cars and how they can offer so much joy for many generations and owners when properly cared for.

All the best, drive the stink out of it these cars love to be driven hard so don't be shy. LOL
Yes sir! It is a guarantee I will be driving the stink out of it. As a matter of fact one of my goals is to drive the car to California for a Luft event and now I recently heard of the DasTreffen event in Miami. I follow a guy on Instagram who drives his 356 from Florida to California and anywhere in between. Talk about inspirational! As I'll mention to another rennlister below. I actually found the owner from Chicago over on Pelican Parts.

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Great looking 964! I’m looking forward to seeing more.
Thank you sir! Ask and you shall receive!

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Congratulations and welcome to 964 ownership. Keep us posted on your mods and let us know if you need any help. This forum has a wealth of knowledge and lots of helpful people.
Thanks sir! Will Do. Just added more stuff.

Originally Posted by Jarod964
Great writeup. Will be following along! I remember this car all the way back to around 2010 when it was for sale in Chicago - then again seeing it just a couple years ago at Mancusso Motorsports. This exact car is one of a few that really sparked my love for the 964...I remember falling in love with the wheels in particular. I look forward to seeing how things progress!
Originally Posted by Jarod964
Here is the exact car a loooong time ago when it was for sale. And a couple more from when it was for sale at Mancuso!
Thanks Sir! Hope you don't mind i'm going to add those pics to my collection. I'm glad you found a 964 to fulfill your love for the car. The last custodian I purchased it from took everything off which i'm glad he did as I wasn't too keen on the script. the yellow lights wouldn't be so bad but I thought the yellow corner lenses didn't compliment it well.

Funny thing. I found the owner from Chicago over on Pelican Parts. Haha. The interwebs is such a small place you can find anybody.

Originally Posted by jburroughs12
Congrats on the purchase! There’s no going back now.I see you’re in Houston, do you do any DEs or meet ups in the area? Would be fun to grab a coffee/beer, BS, and talk about cars. Love 964s with a duck tail!
Thank you sir! Your car is amazing! I haven't been to any PCA meetups or DE's as you'll find out shortly but I definitely want to go. I would always be down to hang out cruise and shoot the BS. Feel free to PM or follow my IG: 964Luftballoon

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
+1 Plus the red tach. Love it! Keep us updated!
Thank you Sir! Absolutely will. Stay tuned!
Old 02-26-2019, 05:12 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Alrighty, I've updated everything chronologically to this point with the car. The rest is to just wait....So far i'm pleased with my experience so far. As it's the first time ever rebuilding an engine there were a couple times I needed to be talked off a ledge but guess that's par for the course. You're never really prepared for it all till you're in the midst of it. And then you have no choice but to suck it up! Haha!

Last edited by 964Luftballoon; 02-26-2019 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:02 PM
911 jared
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 108 Posts

Love the timeline story. Looks great man. You’ve done a great job!

Quick Reply: At Last....