Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE seat recommendations?

Old 02-24-2019, 07:51 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts
Default HPDE seat recommendations?

looking for a pair of decent seats for my 964 that offer adequate support and harness pass thrus for HPDE. I want something that looks appropriate in the car as I will most likely keep them in the car and have them covered to match my interior

any model suggestions? Should I look for Recaro PP’s? Or are there other worthy brands to consider?

Thx
Old 02-25-2019, 08:50 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

If you are in the USA and plan on running PCA HPDEs be advised that if you go to different seats with full harness (5 or 6 point) you will have to have matching systems for passenger and driver. In addition, effective 2019, all race seats with full harness require a HANS device.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:36 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by nowata
looking for a pair of decent seats for my 964 that offer adequate support and harness pass thrus for HPDE. I want something that looks appropriate in the car as I will most likely keep them in the car and have them covered to match my interior

any model suggestions? Should I look for Recaro PP’s? Or are there other worthy brands to consider?

Thx
seats need to match you in addition to the car.

Whats your height/weight?
Old 02-25-2019, 10:08 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by nowata

Thx
It depends on how serious you are, the variables include bolster height( racier is higher but that interferes w/ entry/exit), shoulder hole height/location(taller drivers need the holes higher), lateral head restraint( which interferes w/ transverse vision), how tight a fit(for track use tighter is better)

Recaro PP have relatively low bolsters but small shoulder holes. This makes entry/exit easier but makes fitment for taller drivers harder. The are also somewhat roomy and won't hold you in place like some other seats. So generally better for street than track.

Recaro Spg has a much tighter fit than PP, for some it will be too tight. Also has small/low shoulder holes

Recaro SPG Xl has about the same seat width as PP but tller bolsters, the taller bolster makes it more difficult to use 3 point belts. HAs a much bigger taller shoulder holes so fits a wider range of driver heights.

Recaro Hans tller bolsters, big shoulder holes lateral head restraints, but narrow like the SPG

Don't rule out other manufacturers either, best is to sit in as many as you can to get a feel for them
Old 02-25-2019, 10:14 AM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 178 Posts

As Spyerx said, it depends on your height and weight. I’m 6’3, 185 and have Sparco Evo IIs in my car. I love the seats, but they are very fat on the bottom so I can’t lower them far between the rails. While perfect on the street, I have to remove the bottom cushion when I have a helmet on and I still graze the roof. It’s part of my motivation to delete the sunroof.

Before that, I had Recaro Profi SPGs. These are narrower and could be placed low enough that I could wear a helmet with the cushion in. Though I felt it was a bit too low for the street. I also think the harness holes may have been a little low. I’d like to try a Profi XL.

I had a Pole Position in the passenger seat. They look good, but the holes are way too low for me.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:19 AM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

6’ 180lbs

i would do a matching set as I want them mostly for street comfort and appearance with the ability to have harnesses when I attend a few tracks days

i prefer something that looks period correct as I intend to do tartan or pepita inserts and door cards and the whole shebang eventually

i don’t want it to look like an old car with Mitsubishi evo seats thrown in

i have 996 gt3 seats in my 993 and I’m not convinced that they look right

and I do have a head restraint

not a Hans but I can’t recall the brand

Old 02-25-2019, 12:15 PM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

At 6', 180 lbs, you will be uncomfortable in pole positions and the harness shoulder straps will not fit you correctly, too tall. They are designed for small Italian men. As others have stated, I would try to find somewhere that you can sit in a number of different seats and buy the ones that fit you best and allow for the best harness mounting/fit.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:01 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

The new Cobra Nogaros may be a good option. Check out my install thread here. Cobra Nogaros Installed
Old 02-26-2019, 11:26 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

As said you're too tall for the Pole Positions. The Profi XL is a good choice to try. Sparco, Cobra, and Racetech all make great seats too that have similar profiles and will fit.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:51 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,165 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
If you are in the USA and plan on running PCA HPDEs be advised that if you go to different seats with full harness (5 or 6 point) you will have to have matching systems for passenger and driver. In addition, effective 2019, all race seats with full harness require a HANS device.
I was under the impression it was race seats with harnesses and welded in cage that require a Hans device. I don't care either way I won't go out without one anymore.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HPDE seat recommendations?