Sponsored by:

HELP! Rear end feeling drifty

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 06:34 AM
andy73
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 51 Posts
Default HELP! Rear end feeling drifty

Searched the forum and couldn't find any references to this so figure I'll open it up with a question.

Driving my local twisties last weekend (and pushing somewhat) I noticed in quite a few corners the rear end felt like it was losing grip. It just felt like the rear end was wandering slightly.

• Conditions were dry and the same as always.
• The tyres are three years old, still plenty of tread left. Other than this, have felt super grippy at all times.
• I was driving hard but was actually a little less on it than usual.
• Checked tyre pressures. I run 34 front and 36 rear and pressures are all as per normal (17" cup 1's)

To be honest I thought i was imagining it. Then driving home tonight I came into a corner I take all the time fast(ish) and had a tiny moment where I felt like I needed to 'catch it'. No tyre squeal or anything else alarming and as soon as it happened I did catch it but I'm not convinced it was actually sliding.

Wondering if it might be worn bushings in the rear? Will take it to my local shop for a look but I'd love to hear any thoughts in the meantime....
Old 02-15-2019, 09:13 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

What are the air temperatures during these drives and what type of tire are you running? I’m not sure where you live so I can’t tell if it’s winter or not. Cold temperatures (under 45 Fahrenheit) would definitely result in less grip on a summer tire. Hopefully others will chime in with other causes.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:32 AM
bw-porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Are your shock absorbers ok and not original ones? Ask me why I’m asking this!
Old 02-15-2019, 11:05 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Check front sways. If drop links or brackets are coming loose, or bushings failing, it can make the traction balance move forward.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:19 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

There are so many things that could cause this. Having little information and not physical experience w the car- would've hard to advise..

But- tires get very inconsistent after heating and cooling cycles, regardless of how much tread is left.
Tires stored in extreme heat- will die very quickly and appear to the outside as "fine". And same thing, very inconsistent grip.
Likelihood of rear bushings causing it is very very low.

Take a look at your sway bar bushings, rears are almost bullet proof, but fronts tend to need attention here and there.

In my case, when i had a similar issue- one of the bolts on tommy front sway bar bushings snapped and the front sway bar was detached on one side and the car was all over the place in corners.

As was stated earlier- blown strut or one that is on its way out- another possibility - but very difficult to tell given the information.

Also as was stated- ambient temps also play a role and temp in the tires as well.

Good luck sorting it out- let us know what you come up with.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:16 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

A completely dead engine mount can make the rear feel sloppy. They're often overlooked.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:24 PM
andy73
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
What are the air temperatures during these drives and what type of tire are you running? I’m not sure where you live so I can’t tell if it’s winter or not. Cold temperatures (under 45 Fahrenheit) would definitely result in less grip on a summer tire. Hopefully others will chime in with other causes.
Originally Posted by bw-porsche
Are your shock absorbers ok and not original ones? Ask me why I’m asking this!
Originally Posted by -nick
A completely dead engine mount can make the rear feel sloppy. They're often overlooked.
Thanks for all the input guys. Temps on both occasions were mild (75-80F). Certainly not cold

My shocks are Bilstein PSS10's and while I've not loved them since fitting them, they are only 18 months old. Would certainly hope that's not the issue. Sounds like it is going to be one of those cases of going over everything to determine the cause, given the range of possibilities.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:09 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Don’t rule out the shocks. Years ago I installed some Koni sport shocks on a car and about 6 months after installation I started noticing the front end of my car was vague and felt loose. I couldn’t figure it out until one day I had the car up on a lift for some other reason and noticed that one of the shocks was covered in oil. I ended up sending it back to Koni and they sent a replacement. Worth checking.....
Old 02-15-2019, 10:32 PM
andy73
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Don’t rule out the shocks. Years ago I installed some Koni sport shocks on a car and about 6 months after installation I started noticing the front end of my car was vague and felt loose. I couldn’t figure it out until one day I had the car up on a lift for some other reason and noticed that one of the shocks was covered in oil. I ended up sending it back to Koni and they sent a replacement. Worth checking.....
great call. Will inspect them for sure.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:41 PM
Trapperbay
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since we are ruling things out, when was the last time the engine mounts were replaced? Your description of "felt like I needed to 'catch it'" is exactly what went away after I replaced mine. Just a thought.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:10 PM
andy73
Instructor

Originally Posted by Trapperbay
Since we are ruling things out, when was the last time the engine mounts were replaced? Your description of "felt like I needed to 'catch it'" is exactly what went away after I replaced mine. Just a thought.
The engine mounts were replaced with RS mounts in 2016. They’ve done perhaps 15,000kms.

Quick Reply: HELP! Rear end feeling drifty