Sponsored by:

Disintegrated foam coming out of AC vents

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 02:46 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts
Unhappy Disintegrated foam coming out of AC vents

Happy Monday all. I've got disintegrated foam coming out the AC vents - little chunks, crumbs, long chunks, black/gray foam coming out the vents on both sides. What do I need to replace and how hard is it to get to?
Old 02-11-2019, 02:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I had smaller black debris being exhausted from my HVAC and it turns out it was coming from the rear blower motor which had a bearing failure. The winding housing was hitting the black insulation on the motor and sending it off into the air stream. That may not be entirely your issue but worth a check.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:22 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

This is chunks of foam, not dust-level bits. Mushy sort of melted foam bits and lengths. No noise from blowers, system works great. Oh it's a turbo, figured the air systems are the same.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:06 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 236 Posts

I guess this is most probably the thin foam cover on the Defrost vent flap. This flap is placed centrally in the air box, at the outlet for the two centre vents. See the pic below, slightly wrinkled foam covering.
I guess the foam is to dampen noises and possibly ensure better closing of the flap. You have to dismount the complete airbox to get to it. No big issue to lose this foam.
Cheers,
Tore

Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Aha, thanks Tore. This would put me at ease to leave it alone. Just a bit nasty when that flap moves and more foam dislodges, makes a sticky mess in the cabin. But as long as I don't have a hose disintegrating causing a leak, don't think I'll ever miss that foam insulation layer down here in sunny california.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:32 PM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah, it's just the sealing foam from the vent flaps/doors. Happened to me my first fall with my 964. Freaked me out at first. Then I just articulated all of the vents/flaps with the fan on high. Cleaned the mess up, and haven't dealt with it again.

Quick Reply: Disintegrated foam coming out of AC vents