Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

price check, 964

Old 01-31-2019, 05:03 AM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Default price check, 964

been in the market a little while, still can't really buy until this coming summer unless a crazy deal comes along , just trying to understand this market , last week a 1989 c4 on BAT that seemed a bit tattered with 100,000 miles and needed a lot of work sold for $55,000 any idea why? When i'm seeing cars like these being offered at the same price?

here is a 90 c4 just posted by terek on pelican and from the looks of the video the car is way nicer than the blue one on BAT

here is a sweet colored mid night blue that bammer posted also on pelican for $49,000, again way nicer than the one on BAT
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-metallic.html

so what is the deal? was the 89 BAT car just an anomily or an inside bid? or are these cars flying in price and by the time i'm ready i'll be paying $75,000 for a C2 coupe? lol

Last edited by 997Pilot; 01-31-2019 at 05:12 AM. Reason: wrong link
Old 01-31-2019, 06:23 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

964s are selling for 40K to 60K depending on condition, millage, previous work done etc... They are the last of the air cooled that look like all the 911's that came before, so they are appreciating in value.
Keep looking.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:01 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,926 Likes on 1,166 Posts

If you can figure out the mindset of the 964 or any air cooled 911 buyer please let us know. I have been helping people buy these cars for years and everyone has their own list of needs and wants. Some want all original paint others mechanically sound, others rare options, and others will pay up for a perfect needs nothing car. Don't forget the $55k for the blue BaT car doesn't include the 5% fee. Someone clearly wanted the unique options of the blue car with sport seats, a rare color combo and obviously didn't see the leak down as an issue. The midnight blue car sold in less than 2 days and I suspect Tarek's car won't last long.

The C2's have gone ballistic with decent examples with few needs easily reaching $80k or more and most any 964 coupe in the $55k range will have needs. As stated in his add the white car will be sold with MM Cup I's and have a couple of things needing to be addressed. It would seem he is taking the needs into consideration and is pricing the car accordingly. I assume if it had fewer needs the price would be higher.

I know one of the buyers of a 90 C2 coupe purchased for roughly $50k on BaT. The car will need $30-40k in repairs possibly more and it will only be a so/so example when done. Figure you will be into any coupe for at least $60k if you want a car that needs nothing and most likely it will have been resprayed partially if not completely. You have to look closely at each car and can't compare one to another. Also many of these cars are selling with early engines needing TSB 9404 addressed and you could be looking at as much as $25k for that repair unless you know a mechanic or are a good DIYer.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:44 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

FWIW folks will generally pay more for what they want. I know I did. I wanted a C2 Coupe Tip which it turned out are pretty hard to find. (At least at that time.) Although I was unwilling to go more than about 500 miles to buy one, I looked nation and even world wide to see what was out there for sale. There weren't any. I finally found one that I was sort of interested in but thought it was over priced. I kept looking. And looking. And looking. Nothing. I finally decided I needed to go look at the one I saw on line in person. While it was nicer in person than I expected, it was still over priced in my opinion and seller would not budge. At the time I knew of zero other C2 Coupe Tips for sale and hadn't seen any in the previous six months so it wasn't like I could just go buy one of the others. My choice was to buy this one and enjoy it or keep waiting and hoping to find another while prices continued to rise. I chose to buy this one. I felt and still feel like I paid about $8,000 too much for my car. However, I am confident I could get my purchase price out of it. Of course that would not come close to covering the $$$ I have put into it. But it doesn't matter because it is not for sale.

So as Cobalt said, seeing something sell for $55K doesn't mean it was worth $55K to everyone, just that one person. I am confident that that most folks wouldn't even consider buying a Tip at any price. I'm OK with that, I like mine. A lot!
Old 01-31-2019, 11:01 AM
911 jared
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 106 Posts

Pricing is crazy all over the place these days. but i will say Tarek white c4 is pretty clean. i wouldn't hesitate taking a look at that one, especially if you are local.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:19 AM
phil_m
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by newsboy
964s are selling for 40K to 60K depending on condition, millage, previous work done etc... They are the last of the air cooled that look like all the 911's that came before, so they are appreciating in value.
Keep looking.
The only 964s selling for 40 are tips/cabs that most likely need work. If you know of any decent manual coupes for 40, let me know and I'll buy them all today (and I suspect many others on this forum would as well).

Originally Posted by 997Pilot
been in the market a little while, still can't really buy until this coming summer unless a crazy deal comes along , just trying to understand this market , last week a 1989 c4 on BAT that seemed a bit tattered with 100,000 miles and needed a lot of work sold for $55,000 any idea why? When i'm seeing cars like these being offered at the same price?
It appears the days of decent deals on BAT are long gone. I've noticed that the cars on there (not just P-cars) are often selling for far more than comparable examples sold via other avenues. While I haven't done any quantitative analysis, it appears that this forum and pelican typically have lower pricing on 964s; I suspect it's because more of the sellers on here are knowledgeable enthusiasts who are trying to strike a fair deal with like-minded individuals. On BAT I've seen rough examples with dishonest sales techniques and uneducated buyers; on this forum one would probably get made fun of and develop a bad reputation fairly quickly if trying to pull a fast one. I'm not saying everyone over there is dishonest (I bought my car on BAT a few years ago from Kelly Moss Road and Race), but it's not uncommon to see cars with obvious accident repairs that aren't disclosed.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:23 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

IMHO the fact that the pricing in the 964 market is all over the place makes sense.

It is not like buying an used 2017 Honda Civic where one can find multiple versions of the exact colour, model, mileage, options that they want.

If and when you find a 964 that matches most of your checklist what is the likely hood of finding another one to compare pricing with and know that if you don't buy this one another will come along.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:57 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

C2 Coupe 5spd market is crazy. A 94 Coupe would bring roughly a 25% - 30% premium over this Cab these days (apples to apples).

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...a-cabriolet-3/
Old 01-31-2019, 01:45 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
C2 Coupe 5spd market is crazy. A 94 Coupe would bring roughly a 25% - 30% premium over this Cab these days (apples to apples).

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...a-cabriolet-3/
That was a friends listing for a customer of his (who is a RLer). Crazy to think this ONLY went for 43k
Old 01-31-2019, 03:43 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by SR20Fastback
That was a friends listing for a customer of his (who is a RLer). Crazy to think this ONLY went for 43k
I thought that was a lil soft also.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:56 PM
911ren20
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

How much people are willing to pay for a common red 160k miles 92 c2 couple with original engine(runs strong), no accident, super clean, mostly original paint and a lot of bits replaced/upgraded? I alway see buyer looks down on high miles cars. They would rather buy something with less miles but with far larger list of items that needs attention for much higher price.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:41 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

Porsche people don't seem to be scared about mileage , as long as its been maintained with OEM parts or better. Lower mile cars as some know have more issues than higher mile cars, I a car in motion... stays in motion..
Old 01-31-2019, 06:58 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

You guys shouldn't hesitate to look at the 2 964s Tarek has for sale. Both are nice cars. The c2 may be one of the best driving 'mostly stock' cars I've driven in a while. The c4 also drives really nice.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:50 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd

So as Cobalt said, seeing something sell for $55K doesn't mean it was worth $55K to everyone, just that one person. I am confident that that most folks wouldn't even consider buying a Tip at any price. I'm OK with that, I like mine. A lot!
I am with you I love my C2 Tip 😎👍
Old 01-31-2019, 08:35 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,926 Likes on 1,166 Posts

It is easy to get taken. Even back in the early 2000's it wasn't all that easy to find clean examples. Prices were far lower and cars a lot newer. More and more I am seeing people buying cars with needs and miles cheaper and redoing everything so they know what they have without any skeletons. These cars will go on forever if properly maintained. Just don't add up the receipts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: price check, 964