Sponsored by:

Help me understand cab windows

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 10:11 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Help me understand cab windows

I'm working on a cab at the moment - 1992 C2...

The owner hasn't put the top down in 18 years or so- but had a shop replace the fabric a few months ago. When i received the car, it hadn't run since last June cuz they couldn't figure out how to get it to run, so a few hours later i was driving it, and have been driving it now for a few weeks and sorting things out...the roof was all kinds of out of alignment, so that eventually got figured out, and now goes up and down well in perfect alignment...but...

You can't close the doors with the windows up. My understanding is that when the roof retracts, or when you open the door, the windows should retract just a bit, and when the roof is up, and you close the door, they then go back up.

Currently they don't move, so i have to manually retract the windows to open the doors. But then i have to leave them retracted when i lock the car and walk away, which doesn't bode well for parking outside in the rain (which i also won't do because water is getting in from somewhere and there is a pool behind the seats.)

I'm going to buy a couple baby turtles to give reason for the water behind the seats, but I'd like to fix the window retraction - if that is indeed how they are supposed to function.

I've been searching for info to give me an idea where to look. The micro switches for full open and full closed of the top are functioning and there are now no warning lights on the dash (for the first time in 18 years apparently)

Thoughts?
Old 01-27-2019, 11:38 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

The small automatic retract in modern convertibles is a semi-new feature. Not the case for 964 or 993. The windows never had that door hande trigger feature. They just need adjusted slightly lower to slip under the top seal- or angled inward a bit. Pretty sure the adjust locations are pointed out in one of the service manuals. They’re all under the door panel.

Not to say a slight retract bump wouldn’t be a bad idea to seal the windows up a little better! I’ve tucked some soft 1/16” neoprene around the original top-of-the-window seals to help make them more air tight. The neoprene is squishy enough to help fill in some of the air gaps that the denser original seals don’t cover. Welcome to the art of the convertible

Edit. Also water behind the seats: make sure the seals are in good shape on the bottom of the cabrio top pivot arms (top has to be down to see them). These are the arms that bolt directly on top of the B pillars and seal the back of the side windows. A bad seal there will let water flow down inside the B pillars and into the rear floor like a garden hose.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:46 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by -nick
The small automatic retract in modern convertibles is a semi-new feature. Not the case for 964 or 993. The windows never had that door hande trigger feature.
The windows in my cab do not move without the use of the switches. Doors close with the window up, maybe some additional adjustment of the top will solve the issue.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:39 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 236 Posts

911/964/993 cabrio does not have any automatic window lowering.
This was introduced on the Boxster/996, and there's a rather complicated electrical unit in the doors to obtain this.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 01-28-2019, 11:21 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Well good! One less thing to fix!

And a few more to the list- as the rear side of the windows has a huge gap, and the top doesn't seal properly to the quarter panels...lol...

Thanks all.

This cab is growing on me. But what a pain in the butt...
Old 01-28-2019, 01:04 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Rob - Can you take a picture of the door nearly closed with the windows up and the roof up? How much interference is there? When the roof fabric was replaced, did they also replace the weather seals? I'm wondering it they did and the seals are not installed properly. The seal to window clearance can be adjusted easily.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:45 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine is a bit hard to close because of it being so airtight. Have to close pretty hard.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:28 PM
SRM11
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
Mine is a bit hard to close because of it being so airtight. Have to close pretty hard.
Same.. it needs a solid push to close it and have it seal against the top. I have a tiny gap at the bottom (the start of the window, above the handle) but the top and other sides are very tight. I can send pictures tonight if somebody doesn't beat me to it

Quick Reply: Help me understand cab windows