Sponsored by:

Interior back to stock - carpet question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 10:58 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Interior back to stock - carpet question

I'm putting my interior back to stock (ish) and taking out the RS carpet. I have a new OEM Silverknit kit from Bob / AppBiz and curious what anyone has used for back padding. IIRC when I pulled out the original carpet there was some heavier backing, especially around the floorboard area.

Thanks

B
Old 01-24-2019, 12:36 AM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts

I used a combination of second skin - dampifier (self adhesive butyl insulation), 1/2in; 1/4in; 1/8in closed cell foam glued on top and Rennlist floorboards and kickboards. The whole Instalation looks very OEM.

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 01-24-2019, 01:56 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by fosbibr
I'm putting my interior back to stock (ish) and taking out the RS carpet. I have a new OEM Silverknit kit from Bob / AppBiz and curious what anyone has used for back padding. IIRC when I pulled out the original carpet there was some heavier backing, especially around the floorboard area.

Thanks

B

Are you talking about the carpet or the floor mats?
Old 01-24-2019, 02:25 AM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

I understood he is replacing the lightweight RS carpet with the thicker Silverknit AppBiz carpet and looking for a solution to fill in the floorboards.
If so, below are some photos from when I did the same.

In the last several photos you can see I have chosen to use the full rear seat bottom carpet option and keep the cushions removable (just closed them from the bottom so they look neat). That way if I chose to go full RS (once kids are to big to sit in the back) I just need to remove the rear seat backs. For the front floorboard many are using wooden planks cut to shape of the floor, but you can probably just fill in the gaps with heavy 1in foam then 1/4in on top of the larger area and then carpet mats from the Appbiz kit. This is what I did for the rear floorboards. It helps to keep them in place when the kids are monkey around there.

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 01-24-2019, 01:34 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Thanks Andrew - that's what I was looking for.

B
Old 01-24-2019, 02:09 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Nice work Andrew. I’ve done two recarpets and can see quality here. FWIW I used Dynaliner in one car for a complete relining. It’s made for the task with a self adhesive layer which adheres strongly.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:00 PM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Nice work Andrew. I’ve done two recarpets and can see quality here. FWIW I used Dynaliner in one car for a complete relining. It’s made for the task with a self adhesive layer which adheres strongly.
Thanks, I think dynaliner wasn't available when I was doing mine. I wish it was thou. It would make for much easier install. I ended up using Barge Yellow to glue in the foam and 3M to secure the carpet with Barge on the edges. That glue was the closes thing I found to the original gorilla snot Porsche was using. After several years of use and many winters where the temperatures drop to -30C for weeks, the foam and carpet is secured as it was in the beginning. I'm very happy with the install.

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 01-24-2019, 04:38 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I went crazy with Dynamat and Dynaliner. In hindsight it was overkill but the beauty of using task oriented products is that you hopefully won't have mishaps like adhesive giving up with extreme temps.
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2019, 05:12 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Hey john, how do you find the interior noise with the dynamat and dynaliner? Does it work well?
Old 01-24-2019, 05:34 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Andrew - your tub looks pretty clean. Did you do anything to clean up the Gorilla Snot / Porsche adhesive? Not that it will be seen in most places, just curious, most especially underneath the seat area where all the electronics are. Again, IIRC the carpet was fully under the seats and then cut out for the various controllers
Old 01-24-2019, 06:33 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dingo
Hey john, how do you find the interior noise with the dynamat and dynaliner? Does it work well?
Hi Dean,

The Dynamat stops the drum effect that sheet metal has. It works based on mass. The dynaliner is a foam that helps to attenuate noise.

The Porsche OE system is similar except they use foam first then rubber. I'd say the modern products do make the cabin quieter but not say Cayenne quiet. It does make the car smell modern though

I did the full Monty on a car with water ingress. On my other car, the foam was fine and I just did the carpet.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:48 PM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fosbibr
Andrew - your tub looks pretty clean. Did you do anything to clean up the Gorilla Snot / Porsche adhesive? Not that it will be seen in most places, just curious, most especially underneath the seat area where all the electronics are. Again, IIRC the carpet was fully under the seats and then cut out for the various controllers
3M glue remover, plastic scrapers, lots and lots of elbow grease.
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ginning-4.html

Good luck!
Andrew
Old 01-24-2019, 06:54 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Hi Dean,

The Dynamat stops the drum effect that sheet metal has. It works based on mass. The dynaliner is a foam that helps to attenuate noise.

The Porsche OE system is similar except they use foam first then rubber. I'd say the modern products do make the cabin quieter but not say Cayenne quiet. It does make the car smell modern though

I did the full Monty on a car with water ingress. On my other car, the foam was fine and I just did the carpet.
Thanks for the info, I'm going to give mine the same treatment as your silver car. I'm getting older and so are my ears!

Quick Reply: Interior back to stock - carpet question