Sponsored by:

SPORT SEATS?? Should I?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 10:04 PM
gregmitch
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
leather faced vinyl sides in decent condition. Enjoy The beauty of things like this is they will always hold their value.
I bought a beat up set that I'm going to have recovered and restored this year. Even though my car didn't come with the sport seat option, I have the "Draped Leather Front Seats" option. Is that the same as how you described these? My stock seats do have the perforated centers. I was going to keep the sport seats the same way the stock seats came, but wanted to make sure what the option code really means.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:35 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by gregmitch
I bought a beat up set that I'm going to have recovered and restored this year. Even though my car didn't come with the sport seat option, I have the "Draped Leather Front Seats" option. Is that the same as how you described these? My stock seats do have the perforated centers. I was going to keep the sport seats the same way the stock seats came, but wanted to make sure what the option code really means.
AFAIK the draped seat option is also known as raff or supple leather. These would not have the perforated holes. These are full leather raff, draped or supple leather seats.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:41 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

I suggest you hang on to the original seats. the sport seats may continue to rise in value and when the time comes to sell your car you could swap back to the originals and sell the sports.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:42 PM
Jarod964
Banned

Received 155 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I suggest you hang on to the original seats. the sport seats may continue to rise in value and when the time comes to sell your car you could swap back to the originals and sell the sports.
Do sport seats add to the value of the car at all? Or do people typically not care?
Old 01-17-2019, 12:01 AM
gregmitch
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
AFAIK the draped seat option is also known as raff or supple leather. These would not have the perforated holes. These are full leather raff, draped or supple leather seats.

Interesting...my seats definitely don't look like that but my rear seats do though and I have the rear draped option. I guess the front seats were swap out at some point in their lifetime. And they'll get swapped out again once I recover the sport seats.

That steering wheel looks great btw
Old 01-17-2019, 12:21 AM
911 jared
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarod964
Do sport seats add to the value of the car at all? Or do people typically not care?
i’d like to think porsche sport seats add value.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:39 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

A buddy of mine has a set of red sport seats that should be reupholstered. He is selling for 2k if anyone is interested.

As for mine. I got rid of the comfort seats as soon as i could. I much prefer the sport seats. Especially for daily driving.

But - for bigger or wider guys, they are definitely the wrong seat. So it's a personal choice. Mine came out of a 944 that was made by Porsche for showroom stock racing in the 80s. Porsche took six cars and built them by hand in a secretive project to have six "perfect" 944s in the states to compete- Al Holbert doled them out quietly to six teams. Our car was raced in the 85 season (or maybe 86) firehawk endurance series. It wasn't any better than a production 944 in the end...lol...
It was rolled in turn six at Watkins Glen that year in a 12 hour race. Then went to my uncle as a bent street car, and subsequently sat in my grandmother's garage until i salvaged the seats and reupholstered them for my car...

Name:  photo931.jpg
Views: 1738
Size:  1.15 MB

Word to the wize...a French stitch on the bolsters will last a lot longer than the standard welting. If you buy a kit to do the upholstery you likely won't have the option, but if you are working w an upholster ask him how to protect the tips of the bolsters to prevent rub through. Cuz it will happen.

I've used guys local to me- but the best i have used is Robert budd at classic9...he makes it easy to send the seats to him, and he does a phenomenal job.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:06 AM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Back to my desk now. Here are the actual pics of the seats. I bought them...hopefully will arrive next week. Thanks for the info guys.

Were these the ones for sale from Victoria, BC listed also in Craigslist Vancouver? Sending you pm.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:16 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

People care but when (if) time comes to sell your 964, you’ll get more money for the sport seats by removing them and selling them separately. Nice purchase!
Old 01-17-2019, 03:36 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

If your back gets tired in the seats, what is the condition of the foam? I recently replaced my cab's seats with a used set from a car with low miles. The lumbar support is much better in the "young" seats although the design is the same.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:56 PM
Jarod964
Banned

Received 155 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
If your back gets tired in the seats, what is the condition of the foam? I recently replaced my cab's seats with a used set from a car with low miles. The lumbar support is much better in the "young" seats although the design is the same.
I think the foam in my current seats must be pretty tired...they're a lot more firm than any other (specifically sport) seats I've tried. My friend has an 80k mile 930 with sport seats and they are significantly better in terms of back support.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:01 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

If you like the look and feel of the sport seats then get them. But if you like the look of the comfort seats, then you could get the foam replaced.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:09 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Goughary, that's some serious provenance in those seats!

The supple leather optioned seats will look wrinkly and squishy compared to the standard leather. Rumor is that the supple seats wear more quickly too.

There are quite a few who think that this generation of sport seats are the most comfortable and supportive reclining seats that Porsche ever made. Me included. I'm a slim 5'8 and I can feel the upper bolsters against my kidneys. If you're less slim, then I would expect they could quickly feel too tight. It is a nice connected feeling to be held in while driving and was a big change compared to my old comfort seats.

To Rob's point, just replacing the covers and a pair of comfort seats can add a lot of support stiffness. The covers have some padding sewn in to create the ridges on the bottom and back surfaces. Fresh packing in the covers can make a big change.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:15 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Enjoy your sports seats.

I really like mine and I am NOT a small guy ...... think bowling ball shape.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:23 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Previous 964 didn't have them, this one does. Both felt very comfortable to me, but I definitely subconsciously used my knees against the interior to keep my body stable during hard cornering.

The best reaction to the sport seats has come from family and friends who have ridden in both cars. Everyone says they love the way the sports seats feel and keeps them much more secure.
They get a big thumbs up from my mother!

Quick Reply: SPORT SEATS?? Should I?