Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best ride height and suspension options?

Old 01-09-2019, 07:46 PM
cboltster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best ride height and suspension options?

Im looking to lower my car for a sportier stance. This isn't a track car, but I like pushing it on windy roads.

What are some solid options for height and secondly suspension set ups?

Thanks
Old 01-09-2019, 08:04 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Hello - are you looking for just lowering springs or possibly a coilover suspension? If springs, the Eibach Pro Kit or H&R Sport Springs are a good set up. If you're looking for a coilover kit, the KW V1s are terrific. Please let us know if you have any questions - other members will likely chime in with their expertise as well.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 01-10-2019, 01:02 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Do not buy kw struts for a 964 until kw either redesigns the fronts to fit properly on stock 964 front uprights or they confirm they are supplying step down washers for the lower bolt on the front uprights.

See the suspension madness thread if you need an explanation.

If you want a simple step up from oem that feels good for street and tightens things up, go with bilstein hd and either hr or eibach springs.

If you want more of a sport/track setup..the options become relative to price/cost. But stay away from kw, they aren't right for our car until they make the change for the lower bolt up front, and for the money yu can do as good or better elsewhere regardless.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:39 AM
carlskisWP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the step up with bilstein HD struts and Eibach springs. IMO nice ride height (RS+15) and a real handling improvement for street use w/o draining the wallet.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:19 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 149 Posts

+10000000 Bilstein HD and H&R plus a good aligment and you are good to go! all in should be under $3,000 - I also added 7mm spacers on mine (you will lose a turn in the lugs though)
Old 01-10-2019, 07:25 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Do not buy kw struts for a 964 until kw either redesigns the fronts to fit properly on stock 964 front uprights or they confirm they are supplying step down washers for the lower bolt on the front uprights.

See the suspension madness thread if you need an explanation.

If you want a simple step up from oem that feels good for street and tightens things up, go with bilstein hd and either hr or eibach springs.

If you want more of a sport/track setup..the options become relative to price/cost. But stay away from kw, they aren't right for our car until they make the change for the lower bolt up front, and for the money yu can do as good or better elsewhere regardless.

The search function doesn’t bring up a Suspension Madness thread in this forum. I’d like to read it. Could it be somewhere else?
Old 01-10-2019, 08:20 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Don't read it unless you are out of work, stuck on a couch, inside the house, and the weatherman has said we will have 80 days of rain.

It's kinda long....lol. But it is there. It's called something like "teardown begins, suspension madness"
Old 01-10-2019, 03:20 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Don't read it unless you are out of work, stuck on a couch, inside the house, and the weatherman has said we will have 80 days of rain.

It's kinda long....lol. But it is there. It's called something like "teardown begins, suspension madness"

Curious about the KW V stuff you mentioned. I had a pretty liberal budget last year and decided to go with KW V1's for my '90 C2. I thought long and hard on other options that cost much more than the V1's. I've put probably 6k miles on them so far and have been nothing but pleased. I used the money I saved to put towards wheels/tires.

Then again, I hope not, but they could fail me tomorrow. I doubt it though.

Last edited by dukmon; 01-10-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:32 PM
jonathant
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had a good experience with the KW v1s as well, granted I only installed them 9 months ago. I followed the suspension madness thread (and pretty much all of Goughary's threads, he does good stuff) - his negative recommendation on the v1s goes against company support / response more than the product I think. The key product quirk/flaw is that the bottom mount of the damper is drilled for an M14 bolt. Since the stock 964 wheel carrier uses an M12 this leaves 1mm free play +/-. Goughary discovered that his were moving about under use, which he calls the "random dynamic camber" feature. Funny and apt description I thought.

Anyway, KW really should be shipping an adapter bushing to solve that issue but they don't (or did not, maybe they are now?) and when he asked they told him to pound sand as I read it; obviously poor customer service. After discovering Goughary's thread I checked my KWs, with some concern, but they had not moved as far as I can tell. His point is valid though so I did order some 12mm id x 14mm od x 6mm bushings on Amazon. Haven't got round to installing them yet but there they are on the desk.

On net I've been happy with the price/performance; I drive a Targa and it feels much more planted and stable. However, for the DC area I will say that the monoball rear is not ideal for our potholes. It's great 99:100 times but every so often I'll pile into a serious tooth-rattler and wish for the blown out stock dampers and rubber top piece I had before.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:33 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

"teardown begins, suspension madness" https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...adness-73.html (post # 1093)
Old 01-11-2019, 08:28 AM
Goughary
Race Car

I have kwv3 and aside from a few probs i am happy with the performance of the strut itself.

I'll never buy another kw product for a 964, not only because of the problem above, customer service, etc, but solely because that hole on the bottom of the front struts is for a 14mm bolt and it needs to be for a 12mm bolt and you have to use an adapter to make it work. Why bother?

Anyway, that's me. If anyone reading this buys kw, make sure to get the step down washers. They will supply them to you if you can show your original receipt. It you can buy a set inexpensively online.

Anyway- let's get back to the original post and help make some advice other than what not to do...
Old 01-11-2019, 09:23 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I installed a set of Bilstein B6 with H&R Sport springs about a year ago now and I find the ride and handling to be excellent. It transformed the handling, night and day.

A proper alignment is critical to make these cars handle their best so don’t leave that out of the equation regardless of what suspension you go with.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:57 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

See thread in signature.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:27 PM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on how low you want to go. I wanted to go a bit more aggressive than RS height so I went with H&R deep coil overs. A bit rough but the stance is just right for me. I was stuck between the H&Rs and KW V3.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:50 AM
Maciej964
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can recomend Bilstein B16 / PSS10.
They are adjustable so you can play with both hight and tightness. Had them in my 964 for over a year now and they are spectacular. Changed the way how the car feels and delivered modern suspension feel. Cannot compare ride with KW but Bilstein looks better

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best ride height and suspension options?