Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best ride height and suspension options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 10:37 AM
cboltster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should mention I've got 21mm spacers front and back.

My mechanic is recommending building a set up on https://www.elephantracing.com/ and purchasing through them. What is your guys opinion.... how necessary is it to replace each part when upgrading suspension?
Old 01-12-2019, 11:22 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

I agree with others that best bang for the buck is to go with Bilstein HDs (or B6s now) and a set of H&R or Eibach springs. I chose KW V1s because Bilsteins had been on backorder for over 9 months, but perhaps they are now available. As Rob mentioned, KWs are a good setup but you definitely need the step down washers and it is a shame that KW chooses not to include them when they are aware of this issue.

Originally Posted by jonathant
After discovering Goughary's thread I checked my KWs, with some concern, but they had not moved as far as I can tell.
I guarantee you they most likely move due to the weight of the car making them shift to one side or the other when going through turns. If like mine, you will find them both on the same side when you take the bolts out to put the step down washers.

Originally Posted by cboltster
My mechanic is recommending building a set up on https://www.elephantracing.com/ and purchasing through them. What is your guys opinion.... how necessary is it to replace each part when upgrading suspension?
It depends on the condition of the components, but don't let your mechanic unnecessarily pad the bill. You should determine if they are in need of replacement and you can do that with the help of your mechanic if you need advice, but ask questions and educate yourself. With that said, I recently went with coilovers and although the front end was tight, I decided to replace the front bushings at the same time since it was a "while in there" situation. I shopped around and settled on the following based on best pricing for each part: control arm bushings (RS hardness) and ball joints came from Rennline, rear top hats from Elephant, and front top hats/gaskets/outer tie rods/dust boots from local Porsche dealer.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:28 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Never realise the KW has that issue on front bush, I have mine for years.. Is it also the case for the V3 ?
I guess a good engineering place can machine 2 tube spacers for small amont of money
I check with my mechanics if they are 14 mm on the V 3 too
Old 01-12-2019, 03:14 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by kos11-12
Never realise the KW has that issue on front bush, I have mine for years.. Is it also the case for the V3 ?
I guess a good engineering place can machine 2 tube spacers for small amont of money
I check with my mechanics if they are 14 mm on the V 3 too
Yes, same thing on the V3s. I ordered mine directly from KW, so they sent me the step down washers when I called to let them know of the issue.
These are the washers Rob found online if you need some http://responsetype.com/shop/nissan/...-12mm-inserts/
Old 01-12-2019, 04:31 PM
jwbavalon
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

KW Germany sent me 4 x #65350121 adapter sleeves for my V3s at no cost to me. KW Germany was aware of the oversight and said they should have been included with the V3s. I think this is a case of the engineering folks and shipping folks not talking.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:38 PM
Jarod964
Banned

Received 155 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm running Bilstein HD + H&R sport springs and couldn't be happier. Easy install and look/feel great. I hear supply is running a bit low on the HD's from bilstein right now though.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:19 PM
Achtung964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm running KW V3s with BBI Uprights which is designed to plug with 993 components. Curious if 993 uprights require the step down washers as well. I tested my front hubs for play using my hands only and did not experience any play. Maybe I didn't apply enough force.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:28 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

No- the 993 do not. The kw were designed for the 993 uprights which is the issue on a 964.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:20 PM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

AST 5200 2 way with external reservoirs on my C2 and love them.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:11 PM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You might also think about beefing up your roll bars while you're at it.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:41 PM
jonathant
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, with the reminder from this thread I took a few minutes to look at the front suspension and install the adapter bushings. One side was fine, no movement and the hushings just slipped right on. The other side had shifted slightly, 1/2mm, so I had to lean on it a bit to get the bushings installed. Glad it’s fixed now; one more thing off the list.

FWIW I did not use the spacer washers, I went with a plain bushing 12mm id, 14mm od by 6mm. Ordered from Amazon uxcell Sleeve (Plain) Bearings,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JLZZNG5?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

These are slightly long, the actual depth is 5mm, however making the change is quick work with a file and they are otherwise a perfect fit and very cheap: ~$5 for 3
Old 01-14-2019, 12:32 AM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone try the Ohlins DFV on the 964? I’ve heard good things about them on other platforms.

At the moment, I have HD’s with Eibachs, alignment and corner balance. The car is slightly higher than RS height. 215/255 tires on 17” wheels. Great for street and canyon runs IMO. Firm ride, but not punishing. Have done many 4-5 hour stints. Would recommend.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:05 PM
galanevans
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So I just picked up my 964 from the shop after installing the Bilstein/H&R package and lowered 30mm ...The look of the stance is on point, but the alignment from the shop seems to have gone pretty aggressive on the toe/camber. I've emailed them asking for the specs they used, but haven't heard anything since back since it's a Saturday afternoon. Is this stance common practice? I understand the performance reasons, but since this is a daily driver I'm worried about tire wear and excess road chatter. I'm thinking a more neutral setup will be good for my purposes, but suspension geometry is out of my depth.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:23 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMM
Yes, same thing on the V3s. I ordered mine directly from KW, so they sent me the step down washers when I called to let them know of the issue.
These are the washers Rob found online if you need some http://responsetype.com/shop/nissan/...-12mm-inserts/

Thank you for the info, I think I get those from your link
Thanks again
Old 03-31-2019, 10:22 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

A 30mm drop from US height is perfectly reasonable for the street. Alignment (camber) should still be able to reach stock spec. For street use, RS alignment settings are still pretty mild. It takes quite a bit of camber to begin prematurely wearing tires. Toe is what cooks a tire quickly.

Quick Reply: Best ride height and suspension options?