Sponsored by:

Looking for: Rear 964 hubs

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 01:36 PM
hunterpeaks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for: Rear 964 hubs

I am looking for some spare rear 964 hubs. It seems that these evil things break about every 4 race weekends and I was super fortunate at Summit last year when Dan Jacobs at Hairy Dog Garrage had spare one for me.
I can't find any on ebay or the usual places without buying the entire swing arm or paying like $250 for them. Thanks.
Hunter
Old 01-09-2019, 07:37 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, $840 list. Sonnen price $610. Ouch.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:20 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

wow what's up w your car you're destroying these? Stock motor? Assume slicks, lots of kerb jumping???

I wonder, if something like a hub from something like a 996 GT3 might work !?
Old 01-09-2019, 09:54 PM
hunterpeaks
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spyerx
wow what's up w your car you're destroying these? Stock motor? Assume slicks, lots of kerb jumping???

I wonder, if something like a hub from something like a 996 GT3 might work !?
Hard racing I assume. And parts getting older and fatigued. It's a bad design for racing. If you look at one, it is too long on the conical part of it and that creates too much flex in hard cornering. Dan Jacobs said his son campaigned a 964 back in the day and broke them every 3 race weekends. He said he bought a case of hubs and they just replaced them every 2 race weekends no matter what and tossed the old ones.

If you are on the track and you have to start to have to pump up your brakes on the straightaway in order to have the same "pedal" as normal leading into the turn, then that means your rear hub is about to break.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:05 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 137 Posts

I had this problem after fresh pads and bleed. I thought it might be rear bearings but they are tight. Are cracks evident and if so where?

Pete
Old 01-10-2019, 09:18 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

I trust Dan but find it hard to believe. I know of people who raced C2's and RSA's for years thousands of miles and never broke one. AFAIK the Cup cars used the same hubs and they never had issues unless you were smashing into things. I wouldn't pressure yourself to find one. I am putting down far more power out of my car being twin turbo and no issues and had 10's of thousands of miles on my prior track 964 without issues. Although I have spares of most everything just in case.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:57 PM
hunterpeaks
Instructor

Thanks. I just want back ups. Breaking and axle and a hub at Monticello this year was the end of the weekend. Didn't get to race, and that ended up being a $4500 weekend with no racing, just beating on the car. That sucks.
Then breaking just the hub at Summit point would have been a weekend ending event as well, had Dan not hooked me up. Don't want to drive 13 hours to Sebring, spend $4000 and then break a hub on Sat and not get to race the rest of the weekend.....
Old 01-10-2019, 05:03 PM
hunterpeaks
Instructor

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
I had this problem after fresh pads and bleed. I thought it might be rear bearings but they are tight. Are cracks evident and if so where?

Pete
Hard to inspect at the track to be honest. It's pretty obvious when it starts to get worse. Normally, you just give it a little tap to get the pads back close to the rotor, but when it becomes 2-3 slight pushes, its about to break.

It CAN be the wheel bearings like you mention. That usually is the Front LEFT wheel bearing when it starts to go bad though. We replace that every season no matter what it feels like.

Hunter
Old 01-11-2019, 01:09 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 137 Posts

Thanks- my issue is definitely in the rear as the fronts locked up/ which is how I discovered the abs isn’t functioning. May be another issue in my case as the pedal got longer gradually until I had to pump it. Next time on the track I took it a bit easier and the problem did not re surface.

Pete

Quick Reply: Looking for: Rear 964 hubs