Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   So who's the go-to guy for rebuilding distributors these days? (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/1122253-so-whos-the-go-to-guy-for-rebuilding-distributors-these-days.html)

dsan 01-04-2019 09:33 AM

So who's the go-to guy for rebuilding distributors these days?

Merry Christmas and Happy new year!!!!

I'm in the process of dropping the engine/trans over the winter for a clutch job (100k and no record of ever being changed) and a few minor leaks and seeps (valve covers, rear main, timing chain covers, ps pump. etc). Nothing that leaks enough to puddle on the floor but knowing that they're there is driving me crazy.
Anyway, I'd like to get the distributor rebuilt at the same time, again no record of being done. I'm a bit apprehensive of doing it myself and I'll have enough to do to keep myself busy. Who would be the go to guy to rebuild it? I searched on here and pelican and came up with a few names but every thread I found is over 5 years old. Also a google search found me a shop in Kansas City called RennsportKC which only has a few reviews but the ones they do have are good.

Any recommendations?

Dan

Silvertarga 01-04-2019 09:43 AM

I sent mine to SteveW, at Rennsport Systems, total rebuild was about $700, I would call him the go to guy for this, probably can get it done cheaper but not better

Rocket Rob 01-04-2019 09:49 AM

+1 - Steve W did mine too.

JasonAndreas 01-04-2019 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by dsan (Post 15540930)
I'm a bit apprehensive of doing it myself

You shouldn't be; bearings and the correct (non-Gates) belt are both widely available and the rebuild itself is trivial. You don't even need to remove the secondary shaft when replacing the belt.

vagluv 04-09-2019 11:42 AM

What is the source for bearings? I am being told they are NLA.

Thanks!

JasonAndreas 04-09-2019 04:15 PM

Bearing Stock Shop in Germany was the original distributor that I found way way back a few years ago. And make sure you purchase the correct oiled bearings, as there was a guy spamming Rennlist selling a kit with the greased bearings that a few unfortunate and unknowing Rennlisters purchased. I believe you want 7201-BE-2RS.AH01 and NX12-XL X-life but double-check those part numbers...

apanossi 04-09-2019 04:36 PM

Steve Weiner, Rennsport Systems did mine. Although I could have done it myself. It's a relatively straightforward diy.

Navaros911 04-14-2019 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas (Post 15761818)
Bearing Stock Shop in Germany was the original distributor that I found way way back a few years ago. And make sure you purchase the correct oiled bearings, as there was a guy spamming Rennlist selling a kit with the greased bearings that a few unfortunate and unknowing Rennlisters purchased. I believe you want 7201-BE-2RS.AH01 and NX12-XL X-life but double-check those part numbers...

Such good info to have recorded here. Thank you Jason!