Proper Agreed value policy insurance for 964

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 12:11 AM
Jibble
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper Agreed value policy insurance for 964

Hi all,
I have been going through every insurance thread I can find but can't quite seem to find the answer I am looking for.
Looking to insure a 964 properly. By that I mean, the car is not a garage queen, and I do plan to take it to work on an odd day here and there, or to run a simple errand or two (while parking in the furthest corner spot possible). It is not a show/parade car.
I believe from what I am reading this rules out Hagerty/Grundy. I currently have Geico for my daily driver cars, and we do have a car for each licensed driver in the household. Geico will not provide an agreed upon value policy.

I think customer service is important, but proper assistance with claims is really the key, though hopefully that would never happen. I also hope not to pay an arm and a leg if I can help it---but obviously worth it if it will provide proper coverage.

The only insurance I have come up with that might possibly fit the bill here in the NY area is American Collectors Insurance but their reviews on Google appear mixed. Anybody with first hand thoughts?

Does anybody have first hand experience with any other insurance that would permit ~2000mi/yr, allow an occasional drive to work/errands, and provides proper claim assistance?

Thanks in advance!
Jim
Old 12-30-2018, 06:29 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure why Grundy is not an option, Have has them in Ma for years. 40K replacement value for $404.00/
Old 12-30-2018, 09:14 AM
Jibble
Intermediate

Newsboy, thanks for your response---from what I had read, Grundy would not permit the occasional drive out to work nor occasional errand. Also there appeared to be some payout issues on claims (when going out for the occasional errand). Hopefully you have not had to claim anything----but have you ever needed anything from them?

Thanks
Old 12-30-2018, 09:35 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Check out Heacock. Looks like they may fit your bill. I’ve had them for few years but have not had to file a claim.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:37 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I went through various options last summer. I do not know of anyone that insures for using the car for running errands or as a substitute when your daily is not available, but Leland West had an option for driving the car to work a couple of times a week. Paying a bit over $727 for a 93 with 6,000 miles/yr allowance and $45K AV. No driver under 25 YO.
AFA claims go, I am a believer in YMMV principal.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:50 AM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts

I have American Collectors Insurance, with their "Freedom Tier" which allows for occasional general use and 7,500 miles/yr with a 60k AV.
It's a fair bit more expensive than the quotes above, but I think anyone who has kept their 964 insured for 40-45k agreed value should look at the market and see what it would really cost to replace their car with one of equivalent quality.
I've had no issues with ACI, but I've never filed a claim, so all I can say is that they've been polite on the phone and prompt in their billing.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:18 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm with Safeco and have agreed value insurance. My rate is about $1k a year and replacement value is $51k
If you go with agreed value, you should have it appraised by a professional (would be surprised if insurer doesn't require it) and have your insurance company cover that amount (or more).
Old 12-30-2018, 04:32 PM
Jibble
Intermediate

Thanks guys keep it coming....

I did look into Leland West but there were some nightmare reimbursement issues I read on this forum...so thus far stayed away from a quote.
For Safeco, Google shows some horrid reimbursement issues as well---though none on this forum.
For Heacock---they would not permit any "to work" usage for me at all, per their agent, so I stopped pursuing that policy.

American Collectors Insurance and American Modern were the last ones standing for me---but not enough input on whether claims are easy to obtain or not, and still looking into whether they permit the "occasional to work" clause.

Any more options out there?

Thanks!
Jim
Old 12-30-2018, 10:29 PM
jimonycricket
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by spartansix
I have American Collectors Insurance, with their "Freedom Tier" which allows for occasional general use and 7,500 miles/yr with a 60k AV.
It's a fair bit more expensive than the quotes above, but I think anyone who has kept their 964 insured for 40-45k agreed value should look at the market and see what it would really cost to replace their car with one of equivalent quality.
I've had no issues with ACI, but I've never filed a claim, so all I can say is that they've been polite on the phone and prompt in their billing.
I have them covering my 964 as well. I think it's under 1000 per year. I have the same policy as you. Although I think my agreed value needs to go up, as I only have it at 40K.

Quick Reply: Proper Agreed value policy insurance for 964