Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Help power steering rack leaking

Old 12-23-2018, 04:44 PM
uwrasta
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Help power steering rack leaking

So I was having trouble with my steering. Just for the car and steering is heavy and feels like it's slipping. I'm putting new pads rotors and coil overs on now and just noticed that there is a puddle right underneath the rack. Took the cover on and it looks like it's coming out of a drain that should be plugged. Take s look and let me know what you think please.
Attached Images    
Old 12-23-2018, 05:22 PM
jwbavalon
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi, from the Pelican site,

"Under the left side of the steering rack gear box you will find a hole that either have a black rubber plug on it or has been filled with some sort of silicon on a remanufactured rack. Remove the plug so you can observe the steering rack centering hole. Now you need to turn the steering wheel so that you can see a dimple through the pilot hole. Once the dimple is lined up with the pilot hole you know for sure that the steering rack is at the absolute centered position. There is a taper head bolt that is used to lock in the center position of the steering rack during assembly."

"Your leak is probably around the rack seal area. It does not cause any steering malfunction unless the reservoir is drained of the fluids, which means if you are suffering a steering race leak you will need to check your power steering reservoir often. Since the leaking area is covered by a protective rubber boot the leak is generally not noticed until a much later time when the power steering fluid actually eats through the rubber boot and cause it to crack."
Old 12-23-2018, 05:23 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine had a similar issue and I ended up replacing it. You had noted issues with your steering, perhaps the rack itself is the culprit as it does look original.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:54 PM
uwrasta
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ya thanks. I'm gonna replace it.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:09 PM
964Andrew
Addict
Rennlist Member

The racks are NLA, you can send it for repairs thou. It looks as the pressure line washers on the banjo bolt are bit to shiny for the age of the rack. Maybe someone tried to remedy the leak in the past. This could be the lines as well. Make sure to undo them from under the front centre channel and test if they hold the pressure (any decent hydraulic shop should be able to test the pressure lines to 2000 psi).

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 12-23-2018, 09:24 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!

I had a rack leak where it filled the driver's side boot with fluid. I was scheduled to go to Watkins Glen 10 days later, so I did a temporary "fix". I replaced the boot and added a bottle of Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak which stopped the leak.

BTW, that was in the Summer of 2006, and I haven't done anything since!

It's worth a try before ripping out the rack for a rebuild.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:24 AM
uwrasta
Addict
Rennlist Member

funny!!! just went and got some tonight) I sucked the resevoir and filled it. I've got it torn apart right now doing coilovers. so we shall see what happens after I drive it for a bit. I did start it after and for about 2-3 minutes turned the wheel back and forth and I'm not seeing much leakage now. anyway we shall see!!!!

thanks all
Old 12-24-2018, 09:42 AM
Silvertarga
User

you might want to plug the alignment hole to keep dirt from entering unfortunately I dont remember the size of the bolt I used to do that..
Old 12-24-2018, 11:55 AM
Spyerx
Addict
Rennlist Member

These guys are a legit dismantler in san diego
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-964-2-4-1989-1994-OEM-ZF-Steering-Rack-Pinion-REBUILT-2-YR-W/253866811488

tjere is a shop near me that all they do is racks and cv joints. It’s a few 100 to reseal and clean and ensure function is good. I, sure you have same near you

You should fix or replace your rack.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:09 PM
LPMM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uwrasta View Post
So I was having trouble with my steering. Just for the car and steering is heavy and feels like it's slipping. I'm putting new pads rotors and coil overs on now and just noticed that there is a puddle right underneath the rack. Took the cover on and it looks like it's coming out of a drain that should be plugged. Take s look and let me know what you think please.
You should plug that centering hole to prevent dirt/grime from getting inside and ruining your seals. While you have the car in the air, move your wheels side to side while looking for debris in the centering hole and then remove them. The OEM rubber plug price is ludicrous for what it is (~25 IIRC), so just look for a short M10-1.0 bolt. My local Fastenal did not have anything in stock, so I went to Ace Hardware and found a grease nipple that was the perfect pitch and size.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:11 PM
uwrasta
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks all. It's weird cause it doesn't seem to be leaking anymore. Not sure what is up but yes I will likely replace it once it's back on the road and I confirm that it's still leaking. I cleaned that nipple area then ran the car for like 2-3 minutes moving the wheel back and forth and there is nothing now. Anyway. It's on the lift right now so it will have to wait for better weather and the completion of my diy's.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:57 AM
apanossi
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine was leaking from an ill fitting banjo bolt. Just FYI. Once replaced, the problem went away. You can also rebuild the steering rack or send it in to have someone rebuild it for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: