Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Help power steering rack leaking (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/1120180-help-power-steering-rack-leaking.html)

uwrasta 12-23-2018 03:44 PM

Help power steering rack leaking

3 Attachment(s)
So I was having trouble with my steering. Just for the car and steering is heavy and feels like it's slipping. I'm putting new pads rotors and coil overs on now and just noticed that there is a puddle right underneath the rack. Took the cover on and it looks like it's coming out of a drain that should be plugged. Take s look and let me know what you think please.

jwbavalon 12-23-2018 04:22 PM

Hi, from the Pelican site,

"Under the left side of the steering rack gear box you will find a hole that either have a black rubber plug on it or has been filled with some sort of silicon on a remanufactured rack. Remove the plug so you can observe the steering rack centering hole. Now you need to turn the steering wheel so that you can see a dimple through the pilot hole. Once the dimple is lined up with the pilot hole you know for sure that the steering rack is at the absolute centered position. There is a taper head bolt that is used to lock in the center position of the steering rack during assembly."

"Your leak is probably around the rack seal area. It does not cause any steering malfunction unless the reservoir is drained of the fluids, which means if you are suffering a steering race leak you will need to check your power steering reservoir often. Since the leaking area is covered by a protective rubber boot the leak is generally not noticed until a much later time when the power steering fluid actually eats through the rubber boot and cause it to crack."

Marine Blue 12-23-2018 04:23 PM

Mine had a similar issue and I ended up replacing it. You had noted issues with your steering, perhaps the rack itself is the culprit as it does look original.

uwrasta 12-23-2018 06:54 PM

Ya thanks. I'm gonna replace it.

964Andrew 12-23-2018 08:09 PM

The racks are NLA, you can send it for repairs thou. It looks as the pressure line washers on the banjo bolt are bit to shiny for the age of the rack. Maybe someone tried to remedy the leak in the past. This could be the lines as well. Make sure to undo them from under the front centre channel and test if they hold the pressure (any decent hydraulic shop should be able to test the pressure lines to 2000 psi).

Thanks!
Andrew

LouZ 12-23-2018 08:24 PM

I had a rack leak where it filled the driver's side boot with fluid. I was scheduled to go to Watkins Glen 10 days later, so I did a temporary "fix". I replaced the boot and added a bottle of Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak which stopped the leak.

BTW, that was in the Summer of 2006, and I haven't done anything since!

It's worth a try before ripping out the rack for a rebuild.

uwrasta 12-24-2018 03:24 AM

funny!!! just went and got some tonight:)) I sucked the resevoir and filled it. I've got it torn apart right now doing coilovers. so we shall see what happens after I drive it for a bit. I did start it after and for about 2-3 minutes turned the wheel back and forth and I'm not seeing much leakage now. anyway we shall see!!!!

thanks all

Silvertarga 12-24-2018 08:42 AM

you might want to plug the alignment hole to keep dirt from entering unfortunately I dont remember the size of the bolt I used to do that..

Spyerx 12-24-2018 10:55 AM

These guys are a legit dismantler in san diego
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-964-2-4-1989-1994-OEM-ZF-Steering-Rack-Pinion-REBUILT-2-YR-W/253866811488

tjere is a shop near me that all they do is racks and cv joints. It’s a few 100 to reseal and clean and ensure function is good. I, sure you have same near you

You should fix or replace your rack.

LPMM 12-24-2018 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by uwrasta (Post 15517083)
So I was having trouble with my steering. Just for the car and steering is heavy and feels like it's slipping. I'm putting new pads rotors and coil overs on now and just noticed that there is a puddle right underneath the rack. Took the cover on and it looks like it's coming out of a drain that should be plugged. Take s look and let me know what you think please.

You should plug that centering hole to prevent dirt/grime from getting inside and ruining your seals. While you have the car in the air, move your wheels side to side while looking for debris in the centering hole and then remove them. The OEM rubber plug price is ludicrous for what it is (~25 IIRC), so just look for a short M10-1.0 bolt. My local Fastenal did not have anything in stock, so I went to Ace Hardware and found a grease nipple that was the perfect pitch and size.

uwrasta 12-24-2018 07:11 PM

Thanks all. It's weird cause it doesn't seem to be leaking anymore. Not sure what is up but yes I will likely replace it once it's back on the road and I confirm that it's still leaking. I cleaned that nipple area then ran the car for like 2-3 minutes moving the wheel back and forth and there is nothing now. Anyway. It's on the lift right now so it will have to wait for better weather and the completion of my diy's.

apanossi 12-25-2018 12:57 AM

Mine was leaking from an ill fitting banjo bolt. Just FYI. Once replaced, the problem went away. You can also rebuild the steering rack or send it in to have someone rebuild it for you.