Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to me 91 c2 cab tip:))) heavy steering and feels like it's slipping

Old 12-22-2018, 03:36 AM
uwrasta
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default new to me 91 c2 cab tip:))) heavy steering and feels like it's slipping

so i just got this vehicle. owner said the rack was rebuilt 3 years ago. when i had the ppi done it was noted the steering felt very heavy. I talked to the owner about it and he said that he'd have his indy adjust it (whatever the hell that means) anyway it is very heavy. when i take corners with any kind of speed it feels like there is a slip. I'll turn the steering wheel and there is a slip then it catches and turns. it's slight but definitely there. It has 17 in wheels with 255 /40 R17 and 205 /50 R17. any ideas??? should I just replace the steering rack cause i'm not so sure his indy knows what he's doing. also when he says he adjusted any idea what he's talking about?? He said it was a "Yolk adjustment" anyway it's still heavy as **** and makes for not a very pleasant driving experience. I've had a 993 but never a 964 but I can't imagine the steering on a 964 would be that much more difficult to turn even though it lacks power (or thats my understanding)

anyway and advice would be great. other than that it's been great other than

had to replace window motor
new gears in the seat (the 2 white ones)
have new pads and rotors in a box
and bought b6's and lowering springs
installed g pipe but not sure I like the sound (kinda sounds like V8

Old 12-22-2018, 06:50 AM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

The 964 has power assisted steering. The pump is in the back on the right and the power steering fluid reservoir is by the oil dipstick and fuel filter on the right. Simple things first, do you have fluid at the right level, does the pump work? When was the last time the fluid was changed, with the right fluid?
Old 12-22-2018, 08:08 AM
AVI_8
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds as though the fluid level is low, if that’s the case the pump will be quite noisy, the correct fluid is Dextron 2 it’s a pink/purple colour.
If your fluid level is ok and there’s no air in the system which there shouldn’t be I would guess that your pump is on its way out.
Theres no adjustment on the rack for the symptoms you’re describing.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:06 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

If your car still has the original reservoir it's super easy to check. The replacements are black.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:38 AM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts

Symptoms you are describing are more in line with a physical obstruction on the part of input shaft or rack shaft. Before anything check for leaks, fluid level, belt condition and listen to the pump (It should not be louder than an engine in idle).

Yoke could be the issue if:
1- It was over-tightened (increased wear on the rack shaft)
2- Improperly replaced and got partially squeezed in to the rack assembly

Yoke's role is to provide surface on which the rack shaft will move. When servicing the rack it is important tighten it exactly where is was from factory. Not ft-lb force but a position. Fortunately you can access it easily. Take a look here (http://www.klaindustries.net/technic...rack_STEP2.jpg) It is mostly described in this step and the yoke is the "white plastic part".

Another possibility is that one of the input shaft u-joint (between the steering wheel and steering rack) has obstructed movement or is miss-aligned or failing.

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 12-22-2018, 11:39 AM
uwrasta
Banned

thanks guys I'll check it out!!!!!

rd
Old 12-22-2018, 01:31 PM
uwrasta
Banned

Thanks a lot!!! Not sure what this will indicate but I do have it in the air right now and turning the wheels is easy with it off the floor. I will go check all those things starting with fluid. Then move on to the other things you all have mentioned. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new to me 91 c2 cab tip:))) heavy steering and feels like it's slipping