Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Quarter 964 opening like long nose?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 04:52 PM
kkiley77
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Quarter 964 opening like long nose?

So, one thing I miss on my 964 that my 1972 911 T had was opening rear quarter windows. Does anyone think I can retro-fit opening rear quarter wings from an early car on my 964? I was even thinking of maybe getting open/close latches that are automated like on my wife's mini-van and hooking that up so I could open and close them from the drivers seat. Will older units fit? I feel like they would work fine- but wonder if anyone has any experience.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:18 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...adness-46.html

Start at post 683

Was a fun job. Came out very good. Not for the faint of heart. But can be done.

I still have a full set of green glass rear quarters and all the stuff to do this on my car...but haven't pulled the trigger....yet.

Feel free to pm me if you need advice. Happy to discuss. You'll find very little info on doing this to a 964 online.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:58 PM
kkiley77
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Goughary
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...adness-46.html

Start at post 683

Was a fun job. Came out very good. Not for the faint of heart. But can be done.

I still have a full set of green glass rear quarters and all the stuff to do this on my car...but haven't pulled the trigger....yet.

Feel free to pm me if you need advice. Happy to discuss. You'll find very little info on doing this to a 964 online.
Thanks! Stupid question- post 683 under the 964 forum? Also- where are they numbered? Looking through I don't see that any of the posts are numbered- but thanks either way!
Old 12-22-2018, 06:03 PM
kkiley77
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kkiley77
Thanks! Stupid question- post 683 under the 964 forum? Also- where are they numbered? Looking through I don't see that any of the posts are numbered- but thanks either way!
Never mind! I figured it out- post 683 of the link you included- I'm reviewing now! Thanks again!
Old 12-23-2018, 10:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,168 Posts

I never understood why they removed those. It was one of my favorite features on my 71E.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:22 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

One of the reasons was keeping them sealed..and another was that they are very easy to break into.

But...oddly enough, they stopped the option in the early 70, and kept the slot for the hinges unit the end of the 80s, and they still even in the 964, though there is no slot, (has to be cut), but they do have the dimpled bit of steel welded into the b pillar ready to be drilled and tapped to accept the hinges...

It's a very tricky job. But the difference is outstanding. I wouldn't do this to a car that sees rain and snow. Which is why mine isn't done yet. But I'm still thinking about it and will likely bite the bullet at some point.

Word to the wise....source the old windows and frames first. Then renovate the old windows and frames before touching your car. Replacement parts may or may not fit. So sort all that out first.

You'll also need a way to drill and tap the lowest hole for the bottom hinge. This will require a very small setup. It's tight.

Also. The metal part the the hinge bolts to that is on the inside of the b pillar- you need to not cut the weld that holds that on. So be very careful to measure well before cutting the slot w your dremel.

And then...seeing that you will open the door for water to get in there after the windows have been installed, thing about ways to seal that area well after the cutting...
Old 12-27-2018, 10:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,168 Posts

I recall them easy to close when the car was locked. If you pushed on them just right they would lock themselves at least my 71 did. Breaking into I don't see as being much of an issue. They tried stealing one of my SC's years ago and they just broke the front quarter window probably easier to gain access to the car that way.

Quick Reply: Rear Quarter 964 opening like long nose?