959 style torque split ratio gauge in 964? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
964 Forum
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

959 style torque split ratio gauge in 964?

Old 12-04-2018, 06:28 PM
964Andrew
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default 959 style torque split ratio gauge in 964?

Watching Doug DeMuro video on the 959. In it he shows the torque split ratio gauge in place where the clock would be in a 964. It got me thinking, if the two cars 959 and 964C4 are closely related in terms of the all wheel drive system, would it be possible to see the torque split percentage in a 964C4? I read somewhere (maybe on Rennlist) about methods to connect one of the spare bulbs to show when the PDAS system activates the front wheels. If that is possible maybe the torque split "%" is also available though one of the behind dash connectors?

Anyone explored that before?

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 12-05-2018, 12:05 AM
velocitylover
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old 12-05-2018, 01:39 AM
onceover
Addict
Rennlist Member

I cant imagine what one of those gauges is worth...
Old 12-05-2018, 03:09 PM
964Andrew
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onceover View Post
I cant imagine what one of those gauges is worth...
Surprisingly not insanely expensive, in line with what I expected really: https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin...&I1.x=0&I1.y=0

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 12-05-2018, 03:30 PM
964Andrew
Addict
Rennlist Member

Link to 959 Parts Catalog for those interested - https://www.dropbox.com/s/mhxnlj36it...01988.pdf?dl=0

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 12-05-2018, 04:16 PM
Bigsix964
User

That's got some impressive distance on the odometer for what it is.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:30 PM
Goughary
Super User

I would love to have a gauge setup. Not sure if i would get rid of my clock...but this is interesting.

Any thoughts on how to set up a gauge for the system? Or to make this conversion?
Old 12-07-2018, 12:53 AM
964Andrew
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will be digging in to this shortly.

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 12-07-2018, 06:18 AM
spartansix
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am guessing that this gauge is essentially measuring pressure to the longitudinal and lateral differential locks, same as the two pressure gauges in the C4 Leichtbau.
The lights indicate different traction modes - I assume these are different settings for the aggressiveness of the lock engagement given a specific accelerometer input.
I expect that this requires a different ABS/PDAS controller since the C4 Leichtbau (based on a 964) used 2 master cylinders and 2 sets of pressure valves/gauges to achieve the same end - if it were possible to plug in this gauge or have the PDAS controller switch between dry/wet/snow settings using a single brake fluid reservoir like in the 959, I'm sure Porsche would have done this to avoid having to engineer a new solution (and maybe save extra weight) on the Leichtbau.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:13 PM
964Andrew
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spartansix View Post
I am guessing that this gauge is essentially measuring pressure to the longitudinal and lateral differential locks, same as the two pressure gauges in the C4 Leichtbau.
The lights indicate different traction modes - I assume these are different settings for the aggressiveness of the lock engagement given a specific accelerometer input.
I expect that this requires a different ABS/PDAS controller since the C4 Leichtbau (based on a 964) used 2 master cylinders and 2 sets of pressure valves/gauges to achieve the same end - if it were possible to plug in this gauge or have the PDAS controller switch between dry/wet/snow settings using a single brake fluid reservoir like in the 959, I'm sure Porsche would have done this to avoid having to engineer a new solution (and maybe save extra weight) on the Leichtbau.
Quite possibly you are right. I thought thou the C4 Leichtbau had the gauges inline with the proportioning valves for manual adjustment so they possibly were analog and only displaying the current driver set pressure bias. The 959 look to be all electric based on their behavior in the video. I will dig in to the electrical system of the 959 and see if I can find any similarities.

Thanks!
Andrew

Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: