Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the correct alternator, fan belt assembly order?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 10:55 AM
5hrine
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is the correct alternator, fan belt assembly order?

Having looked through all the posts I can find on the alternator/fan pulley assembly, I have a couple of queries which I hope can be answered. I have a 964 with a 92 motor and there have been some belt issues. P.O told me the alternator has just been renewed ( have receipt) But battery is not charging at idle and low revs, only above about 3000 and there is a nasty metallic rattle from the fan area and alternator belt seems a little slack. Having taken all the pulley shims etc. off, I notice only 2 fan shims, with no extras stacked outside the pulley, So will add extra 4 to get correct thickness. There are threaded studs into the fan, rather than a threaded hole for bolts . (I dont think this should matter) then the outer pulley cone washer, I always assumed that the taper faced the front of the car, so the washer sort of sits a bit inside the fan, this way it allows the fan bearing to spin, but if the fan pulley shims had been missing (which they were) the cone washer would probably bind on the fan bearing causing the metallic sound and presumably may not allow the alternator to spin freely, therefore limiting the charging to above 3000. Outer shims seem okay and there are a total of 6 (2 in and 4 out of the pulley). there was also a final washer before the nut ( which I assume was making up for the lack of 4 fan pulley shims) What I am trying to find out , is, am I correct in the number of shims, position of the cone washers and the threaded studs being okay, or have I missed something critical. I wanted to reassemble everything correctly and see if the charging/noise issues had been resolved, before pulling the alternator, fan bearing etc. any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
Old 11-29-2018, 11:44 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

How tight are the belts? You remove shims to tighten. Any unused shims get stored on the outside of the pulley, The belt closest to the engine (most forward) drives the alternator. If you remove all shims, does the belt tighten up? If yes, store the extra shims on the rearward face of the pulley.

The rearward belt is the fan drive. You do the same process.

Do you have PET? There is a drawing of the sequence on 105-00.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:09 PM
5hrine
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
How tight are the belts? You remove shims to tighten. Any unused shims get stored on the outside of the pulley, The belt closest to the engine (most forward) drives the alternator. If you remove all shims, does the belt tighten up? If yes, store the extra shims on the rearward face of the pulley.

The rearward belt is the fan drive. You do the same process.

Do you have PET? There is a drawing of the sequence on 105-00.
I have PET and have got the shim/pully/tightness sorted. It was really more about the threaded studs instead of the bolts into the fan and the position of the inner cone washer between the two pully's. I thought facing the bfront of the car, but hard to see looking at PET.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:15 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

The cone washer flat side supports the pulley.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:23 PM
5hrine
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
The cone washer flat side supports the pulley.
Thats what I thought, but the cone washer i removed was scored from something (bearing housing?) so I hoped that by adding back the correct shims this may help, but the shims on the fan rotor do not space the cone washer out, so it may still be rubbing. This does not seem correct to me. ?!?
Old 11-30-2018, 07:39 AM
5hrine
Instructor

All assembled now, removed 1 shim from the alt. belt and alternator is charging okay, but it defiantly sounds as if the fan bearing is in its way out. One step forward....

Quick Reply: What is the correct alternator, fan belt assembly order?