Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   looking for a nice stick shift car (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/1114661-looking-for-a-nice-stick-shift-car.html)

misterbeverlyhills 11-25-2018 07:45 PM

looking for a nice stick shift car

I have a nice 964 I drive frequently, some light track duty and a couples of AutoXs a year. My daughters have each taken a PCA 2 day high speed driving course in it.

I must be getting old; I don't like taking it to redline each shift at the track, I point by some of the crazier types so as not to get bashed. I prefer to race the clock and not door handle to door handle down the straight. I think track days for the 964 are com ing to a close.

I would like the girls to spend more time on a 5 speed, at speed, but am reluctant to let the little gear grinders loose on the car, would prefer to get something to flog hard and often. I have looked at 90s M3s (most have been ridden hard and put away wet), 914s (now also expensive and SLOW) early SCs in decent shape are $35k plus. Lately I have been hunting for a 996, if you don't want a pristine example, a 6 speed coupe can be had for under $20k, with IMS done. Of course, you have to have silver or black; and a light grey interior so grubby, if it were on a couch at your house, you would take it to the curb.

Any ideas? Some input would be nice. I was hoping to stay German, Miatas are to small and while they are great cars, my daughters wouldn't be caught dead in a WRX. Snobs and brats both of them. Budget is under $20k, under 100k miles preferred.

Marine Blue 11-25-2018 08:35 PM

I would go for a 986 Boxster S and have the IMS done. It’s the bargain of the century considering performance and balance and it is within your budget. They’re also very fun to drive.

pu911rsr 11-25-2018 10:36 PM

I'd go with a E36 M3, yes a lot of beaters but you can can get a very nice one in mid teens. Great track cars, pretty bullet proof once you deal with cooling system.
Phil

Ralph3. 11-25-2018 10:51 PM

Golf GTI? or 2 Miatas

Tarek307 11-26-2018 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Marine Blue (Post 15454137)
I would go for a 986 Boxster S and have the IMS done. It’s the bargain of the century considering performance and balance and it is within your budget. They’re also very fun to drive.

+1 on that! Boxster S 986 is a great car and can be had for cheap.

Parabolic 11-26-2018 03:32 AM

Some good suggestions already, but maybe a regular 5 speed BMW E30? By now, you'll be looking at mostly high mileage ones, but they are fairly simple to work on, and examples can still be found cheap. Not a ton of power so would be a good starter track car to learn on for your daughters or for you to wring out a slow car fast. Lots of people run them in Spec E30 or equivalent series.

cobalt 11-26-2018 09:27 AM

2009 or newer base cayman. The pre 09's have a long history of detonating the engines on track and although my son drives my 15 Boxster GTS I am considering trading it for a cayman since I don't like driving on track with an open car and without safety equipment. Go for a base it is more than fast enough for beginners and it will teach them to drive instead of using the right pedal to go fast. Besides they will have to work harder at passing their old man. LOL.

Deserion 11-26-2018 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Marine Blue (Post 15454137)

Originally Posted by Tarek307 (Post 15454510)
+1 on that! Boxster S 986 is a great car and can be had for cheap.

I'll also concur on the 986 being a great choice. ;) Another idea on the 986 is to look for a 2.5L car - they will have a stock dual-row IMS, and any slipped liners or D-chunk issues should have been handled long ago. And for the prices they go for you could snag two and still get the maintenance up-to-date on both. I don't regret getting a 2.7L over a 3.2L, but if the engine goes I'll plan on sticking a 3.6L in it. :D

misterbeverlyhills 11-26-2018 11:36 AM

Some great suggestions, I had not given the Cayman/Boxster enough thought, I am with Anthony though, open cars on track, don't think I would get the Mrs' buy in on that.

The E30 suggestion is a good one too, I have been too focused on M cars thinking the brakes/suspension/power upgrades worth it but I will take another look. I take the girls to the annual BMW event here in LA and there are some fine cars but boy, some of those E30s, you can just hear them collapsing on their wheels, LA being more cosmetically focused rather than function. Over wheeled, hamhock sized exhausts and way too much stereo.
The youngest already has a GTI and the eldest leases a standard 3 series, both are very smooth on track, slowish but it seems girls like to start slow and build up speed, where boys hit the throttle like a lab rat hits the cocaine button.
Might be fun to update this post, I know it isn't strictly 964 but as we are all gearheads, I could sure use the input.

GoatFarmer 11-26-2018 11:48 AM

My kids learned to drive on track in an E46 330i. We left it completely stock with the exception of fresh BMW rotors, HAWK blue pads, a fluid flush and performed basic maintenance. The car performed well. They are cheap as chips too. With experience, there are a lot of go fast parts available as well as a SPEC E46 series (NASA, SCCA, BMW CCA) to build the car to if you fall down the rabbit hole.

misterbeverlyhills 11-26-2018 05:40 PM

^^^
hahaha I have fallen down so many rabbit holes I am pretty much on a carrots only diet.

Good idea though, I will look into some E46s here locally, I agree, they can start slow and build up from there.

Greg Wolfe 11-26-2018 06:45 PM

Yeah, I agree with the e36M, e30 non M, or e46 non M as a semi-practical (German) track car with MT. They could always graduate up to an e46M also if they really did the e46 chassis. It's one of my favorites by the way. I have one that I will never part with as they are becoming harder and harder to find that aren't neglected. I also have an e30, but it has been swapped to an M62 V8. :D I think they are perfect garage mates to my "new" 964. Anyways, I will be watching this thread to see what direction you decide.

Mr. Wolfe

misterbeverlyhills 11-26-2018 07:08 PM

^^^ I have seen you over on the M3 forum Mr. Wolfe. I am leaning that way because we can get 3 people (maybe even the Mrs if she can wake up early enough) and all our stuff in a real trunk. Girls have a lot of stuff.

I think the E36M is a future collectible, nice ones are already scarce; although I am dumbstruck why every singe car in a decent color has a Dove Grey interior. There are also some significant issues with cooling system and chassis reinforcement and many are close to 200k miles. I don't mind the miles if all the usual suspects have been maintained, but as I said above, people don't spend what needs to be spent on a 15k car.

Maybe going non M will open up some possibilities, I feel though that if you buy something that has future appeal, it makes it easier to sell on. Which is how I came to buy the 964, I didn't want them beating on my 73 longhood and would have no trouble selling the 964 today. Once you drug me and pry my fingers loose.

First choice was always a E36 M and then a E46M although they are still over budget.I will look into some non M cars and post again.

BTW the deal of the century is on a 996, you can get a very very decent car with all issues dealt with for 20k. As long as you want silver, grey, black, all with a light grey interior. Yellow ones are 25k.

dukmon 11-26-2018 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills (Post 15454062)

and a light grey interior so grubby, if it were on a couch at your house, you would take it to the curb.

Chortle.......

Spyerx 11-26-2018 07:53 PM

Base cayman manual. Any of them really. sure the pre 2009 could have IMS issues.. but price is right on them and they're good cars.