Sponsored by:

looking for a nice stick shift car

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 04:25 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by GoatFarmer
If you go with an E46 M3 you will want to get a race shop to do the sub-frame reinforcements. An indy may be aware of them, may not. Dealers will be clueless. Parts are like $150. Labor is quite extensive as you need to remove the exhaust, rear sub-frame and fuel tank before you can access the points where the pieces need to be welded in. Bimmerworld has a very good write up/instructions on what needs to be done. Parts can be purchased from Bimmerworld, Turner Motorsports, AKG Motorsports, etc...

Another thing to keep in mind with the E46 M3 is the need to replace the connecting rod bearings. The S54 motor tends to have accelerated wear on these parts partly because of the very high rpm they rev to. Replacement can be done in the car if you support the top of the motor with an engine support, drop the front sub-frame and oil pan and pump to get access. The M54 motor in the 330i does not suffer from this issue.

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but the cars are very good. There is a reason why most of the cars on track (at least in the Northeast) are BMW 3 series.

Like Mr Wolfe, I did the work myself. Good welding skills and equipment are required though.
Thanks, as usual, I am in awe of guys that can do this sort of thing themselves. Would you say it would need to be done with about 4 track days and maybe 3 AutoXs a year only?
Old 11-27-2018, 05:43 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
Thanks, as usual, I am in awe of guys that can do this sort of thing themselves. Would you say it would need to be done with about 4 track days and maybe 3 AutoXs a year only?
Yes. Almost all of the street only cars suffer this unfortunate design flaw. It is cheaper to address it before it happens. Not saying you need to address it the week you get the car, but make it a priority. I can tell you from personal experience and research, I would say 90% of the cracked subframes were deemed "no visual cracking" from the dealership. Bottom line is, you have no idea if it is cracked until you lower the subframe. I will say that since there are no visual cracks, even if it is cracked, the damage should be minor and easily fixed by some Reddish subframe plates.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 11-27-2018, 06:05 PM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

The need for reinforcements depends on the amount of stress and flexing the chassis is subjected to. A novice driver on street tires will be stressing the chassis much less than an advanced driver on Toyo Rr’s who in turn willl stress the chassis much less than a racer on Hoosier A7s. You could get away with not doing anything but fresh fluids until you graduate to the intermediate level. At that time it is better to get it done. It is cheaper and easier to reinforce before tearing occurs.

If if you are looking for something to use exclusively for the track you may want to shop on racingjunk.com. Look in the NASA GTS section under road racing cars. Sometimes there are “track” prepped cars in addition to fully race prepped cars.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:06 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

The need for reinforcements depends on the amount of stress and flexing the chassis is subjected to. A novice driver on street tires will be stressing the chassis much less than an advanced driver on Toyo Rr’s who in turn willl stress the chassis much less than a racer on Hoosier A7s. You could get away with not doing anything but fresh fluids until you graduate to the intermediate level. At that time it is better to get it done. It is cheaper and easier to reinforce before tearing occurs.

If if you are looking for something to use exclusively for the track you may want to shop on racingjunk.com. Look in the NASA GTS section under road racing cars. Sometimes there are “track” prepped cars in addition to fully race prepped cars.
Thanks, Looking more for a street car. Problem is, I start looking at a $7500 car with needs, then see one for $10,000 and fewer needs. Some of the $15,000 cars have much of what I want already done but then, before you know it I am looking at $20k and a car too nice to track!
Heading into winter, track days are few and I'll have more time to scan the web for better deals (BTW, WTF is up with BAT prices, who are those guys bidding blind? Above market and you never got to see/drive it?!)

I think the Boxster and Cayman, S2k are all excellent options, but for now I will focus on a BMW, 330 (thank you for the suggestion) may be the best entry point; plenty of car for the beginner girls and me too, I am no Senna but it will be fun to be as good as the car for once.

Unless of course an Estoril/black e36M comes along, 'I'll keep you all posted, many thanks for all the insight, much appreciated.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:16 PM
GoatFarmer
Racer

I know how scope creep goes. In September of 2006 I decided I wanted to buy a manual transmission car I could use to learn how to drive on track. I just got into autox that year using an automatic Mercedes Benz SLK32 AMG. I started looking at a Miata. After optioning it the way I wanted I realized I could afford a 350Z. After optioning the Z I realized I could afford an M3. After optioning the M3 I realized I could afford a 997. After optioning the 997 I realized I could afford a GT3. I almost convinced myself to get an RS, but my wife liked the rear wing on the GT3 so the game stopped there. So I went into a dealer to buy a new Miata and ended up with a new GT3. My buddies still do not know how I pulled it off. Funny thing is once my wife saw how fast I drove it on track she demanded I put a cage in it or buy a race car. I ended up with a race car in the end and I snuck in some DE days in the GT3 to exercise it. I don't know how I get away with half the crap I pull.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:31 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

With all do respect, yes, driving on a track with Hoosiers will crack the subframe quicker, but almost all crack. I know very few people who actually track their m3's. All of the subframe cracks I am referring to are from street cars only. If you go on m3forum.net, you will find hundreds of cracked subframes from cars that never saw the track. Even low mileage 06' cream puffs. It's just a terrible design. The good news is, it can be fixed. Whenever I did my subframe (my car is an 06' w/ 26k miles - did subframe at 20k), I was just hoping there were no cracks and there wasn't. What got me to do mine was seeing an 06' w/ 30k miles have spider cracks everywhere and not only was not tracked, but was babied. BMW should have really taken care of this with their recall.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 11-27-2018, 08:33 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Looking more for a street car. Problem is, I start looking at a $7500 car with needs, then see one for $10,000 and fewer needs. Some of the $15,000 cars have much of what I want already done but then, before you know it I am looking at $20k and a car too nice to track!
Heading into winter, track days are few and I'll have more time to scan the web for better deals (BTW, WTF is up with BAT prices, who are those guys bidding blind? Above market and you never got to see/drive it?!)

I think the Boxster and Cayman, S2k are all excellent options, but for now I will focus on a BMW, 330 (thank you for the suggestion) may be the best entry point; plenty of car for the beginner girls and me too, I am no Senna but it will be fun to be as good as the car for once.

Unless of course an Estoril/black e36M comes along, 'I'll keep you all posted, many thanks for all the insight, much appreciated.
The rule of thumb for the e46M is, you are going to pay $20k-$25k for the car, now or after you buy. Unless, you find an outlier, that's a pretty good rule.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 11-27-2018, 09:11 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

I know how scope creep goes. In September of 2006 I decided I wanted to buy a manual transmission car I could use to learn how to drive on track. I just got into autox that year using an automatic Mercedes Benz SLK32 AMG. I started looking at a Miata. After optioning it the way I wanted I realized I could afford a 350Z. After optioning the Z I realized I could afford an M3. After optioning the M3 I realized I could afford a 997. After optioning the 997 I realized I could afford a GT3. I almost convinced myself to get an RS, but my wife liked the rear wing on the GT3 so the game stopped there. So I went into a dealer to buy a new Miata and ended up with a new GT3. My buddies still do not know how I pulled it off. Funny thing is once my wife saw how fast I drove it on track she demanded I put a cage in it or buy a race car. I ended up with a race car in the end and I snuck in some DE days in the GT3 to exercise it. I don't know how I get away with half the crap I pull.
That is hysterical, but you're right, great cars keep trying to come home with me too. At least your wife is a gamer; my daughter spun the 964 off a turn right in front of her and I thought she would have to be revived.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:15 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Wolfe
The rule of thumb for the e46M is, you are going to pay $20k-$25k for the car, now or after you buy. Unless, you find an outlier, that's a pretty good rule.

Mr. Wolfe
Mr Wolfe, I hear the e36 does not have the same problem is that true? Other problems sure (cooling being their version of IMS) but no need to weld the sub frame on a e36?

I am going to focus on the 330 but honestly, if a 10 foot paint e36m comes my way, I'll be a GoatFarmer too.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:53 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Mr Wolfe, I hear the e36 does not have the same problem is that true? Other problems sure (cooling being their version of IMS) but no need to weld the sub frame on a e36?

I am going to focus on the 330 but honestly, if a 10 foot paint e36m comes my way, I'll be a GoatFarmer too.
The e36 M3 is also plagued with the subframe failures. I don't know if it is as bad as the e46M. 330 would be a great choice.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 11-28-2018, 09:05 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Here you go- https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1115366
Old 11-28-2018, 09:42 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Greg Wolfe
The e36 M3 is also plagued with the subframe failures. I don't know if it is as bad as the e46M. 330 would be a great choice.

Mr. Wolfe
I've never heard of this before- my understanding is except for the very early 95's the M3's had a factory reinforced subframe mounts. I've tracked mine since 2016 - a very reputable shop the preps a lot of E36 M3's does all of the work on car, they never made mention of this.

Phil
Old 11-28-2018, 10:19 PM
GoatFarmer
Racer

E36 also needs sub-frame reinforcements front and rear as well as rear shock tower reinforcements.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:39 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

E36 also needs sub-frame reinforcements front and rear as well as rear shock tower reinforcements.
For what application- street, track race?
Old 11-29-2018, 03:58 AM
Parabolic
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^

A S2k just drove by while I was walking the dog race prepped, looked pretty beefy, a little loud in an obnoxious way but still, pretty interesting. Great looking girl driving (I am married, not dead) plate read DADSRCR, tells you something.

Do you have a line on a good S2k forum? I'll do a little light reconnoitering.
Just wanted to say about the S2K; they have a cult following and has pretty much reached modern classic status. They are expensive for what you get, especially because there aren't many clean ones out there with so many of them having been crashed or messed with in some way. I think the main S2000 forum is S2KI.

That was effectively how I ended up here. I started with a NA Miata and somehow ended up with a 964 C2.

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
I've never heard of this before- my understanding is except for the very early 95's the M3's had a factory reinforced subframe mounts. I've tracked mine since 2016 - a very reputable shop the preps a lot of E36 M3's does all of the work on car, they never made mention of this.

Phil
Like Phil, I haven't really heard of people having issues with E36 M3 rear subframe cracking, unlike the huge problem that that is in the E46 M3 and E36/7 and E36/8 M Roadster/M Coupe.

Quick Reply: looking for a nice stick shift car