Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Set for a Repaint..... What Questions Should I Ask?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 06:30 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

So.......... still doing my due diligence on the painting project. Visiting a second recommended shop as soon as the sun shows its face this week.

Related questions:
I like the flag side view mirrors and don't think I'd ever change them out. Would 993 door handles look out of place with the flags?
Is there a source where I could buy all of the gaskets and stuff as a single package or do I have to buy a la carte?
The flat black trim around the windows/doors; how is this refinished? Mine has peeled some in a spot and overall could be refreshed. Paint shop for this too?

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:52 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

After doing my research, talking with references and setting an appointment to drop the car off in March to be painted (and not have the car for 3 to 4 months), I cancelled.

Feel like I'm too rushed trying to prepare for things. Wasn't enjoying the process. Going to try again next winter.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:13 AM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Paint guys scare me. There seem to be an unusually high number of flakes. I suspect. Fumes.
This sounds like a joke but it isn't.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:16 AM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by dukmon
So.......... still doing my due diligence on the painting project. Visiting a second recommended shop as soon as the sun shows its face this week.

Related questions:
I like the flag side view mirrors and don't think I'd ever change them out. Would 993 door handles look out of place with the flags?
Is there a source where I could buy all of the gaskets and stuff as a single package or do I have to buy a la carte?
The flat black trim around the windows/doors; how is this refinished? Mine has peeled some in a spot and overall could be refreshed. Paint shop for this too?

Thanks again for the feedback.
Can't help you on your questions, but I wanted to say I also have a 90 and find the flags a point of pride. It's our little connection back through 911 history. I'll never change em.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:37 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

After doing my research, talking with references and setting an appointment to drop the car off in March to be painted (and not have the car for 3 to 4 months), I cancelled.

Feel like I'm too rushed trying to prepare for things. Wasn't enjoying the process. Going to try again next winter.
I know you wanted to paint it, but I think it looked stunning the way it is... let's put in another road trip this summer/fall when I get back in town. Believe me, it's nice to not have to worry about your paint and just drive.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:53 AM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Has anyone wrapped the whole car in modern clear film after a re-paint and curing period? Yes, expensive on top of an already expensive paint process, but you'll ever worry about chips again.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:48 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
I know you wanted to paint it, but I think it looked stunning the way it is... let's put in another road trip this summer/fall when I get back in town. Believe me, it's nice to not have to worry about your paint and just drive.

You bet!
I have to admit...... the recent track time with all the sand and other debris flying up from the cars ahead of me made me happy I didn't do that with a fresh paint job.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:31 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

You bet!
I have to admit...... the recent track time with all the sand and other debris flying up from the cars ahead of me made me happy I didn't do that with a fresh paint job.
AGREE. I am a fan of "good enough"
Too nice, I don't want to drive it.
Just needs to look decent. And, I'm OK w/ patina.
But, to spend 20k+ on paint, and beat it to hell would just irritate me.
Besides, these are old cars. I'll just touch up when needed.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:48 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

On the track, almost each time I'd swing wide to avoid all of the debris from cars in front of me, they'd think I was going to pass........ so I would oblige.

Which made me sort of chortle to myself.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:57 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paolo1
Has anyone wrapped the whole car in modern clear film after a re-paint and curing period? Yes, expensive on top of an already expensive paint process, but you'll ever worry about chips again.
My buddy (see pic below) just had much of his car repainted and wrapped. After spending $$$$ it looks fantastic and he road trips all year around with it. Totally makes sense and I should probably do it, but like Spyerx mentioned, I'm okay with patina, to an extent. I guess it's a personality thing, and my Porsche related fun money is limited. I'd rather spend $3,000 on suspension, tires, and mechanical updates/upgraded. Unlimited budget, sure wrap it up. Otherwise I'm going for mechanical bits.

You bet!
Now that your painting plans are mothballed a bit, spend that money to redo/upgrade your shifting bits. Remember your comments after our car switch. New forward rod, short shift, golden rod and (D55) trans mount insert is the ticket. Plus you need new motor mounts. Love making these cars tighter, they are so solid and those bits really reward you constantly and enhance the driving experience way beyond the looks.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:12 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

She's in the shop right now having motor mounts and a small list of other things done.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:35 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Sweet. Let us know what you think after the install. Will definitely drive better on your next tack day without the engine flopping around back there.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:08 AM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

1. How many 964’s have you taken apart and put back together?
2. Do you paint the doors on or off the car? Have them explain why...
3. Process for stripping the existing paint?
4. Explain your prep, paint and clear process including materials used, coats applied, paint brand etc.
5. Can I have the names and call for reference the last 5 911’s owners that you painted?
6. How long?
7. How much?
Price should be the last thing you should be concerned about....

Quick Reply: Getting Set for a Repaint..... What Questions Should I Ask?