Notices
964 Forum
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Getting Set for a Repaint..... What Questions Should I Ask?

 
Old 11-26-2018, 06:30 PM
  #16  
dukmon
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
dukmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 323
Default

So.......... still doing my due diligence on the painting project. Visiting a second recommended shop as soon as the sun shows its face this week.

Related questions:
I like the flag side view mirrors and don't think I'd ever change them out. Would 993 door handles look out of place with the flags?
Is there a source where I could buy all of the gaskets and stuff as a single package or do I have to buy a la carte?
The flat black trim around the windows/doors; how is this refinished? Mine has peeled some in a spot and overall could be refreshed. Paint shop for this too?

Thanks again for the feedback.
dukmon is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 09:52 AM
  #17  
dukmon
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
dukmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 323
Default

After doing my research, talking with references and setting an appointment to drop the car off in March to be painted (and not have the car for 3 to 4 months), I cancelled.

Feel like I'm too rushed trying to prepare for things. Wasn't enjoying the process. Going to try again next winter.
dukmon is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 11:13 AM
  #18  
BLACK3.2
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 155
Default

Originally Posted by Spyerx View Post
Paint guys scare me. There seem to be an unusually high number of flakes. I suspect. Fumes.
This sounds like a joke but it isn't.
BLACK3.2 is online now  
Old 01-29-2019, 11:16 AM
  #19  
BLACK3.2
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 155
Default

Originally Posted by dukmon View Post
So.......... still doing my due diligence on the painting project. Visiting a second recommended shop as soon as the sun shows its face this week.

Related questions:
I like the flag side view mirrors and don't think I'd ever change them out. Would 993 door handles look out of place with the flags?
Is there a source where I could buy all of the gaskets and stuff as a single package or do I have to buy a la carte?
The flat black trim around the windows/doors; how is this refinished? Mine has peeled some in a spot and overall could be refreshed. Paint shop for this too?

Thanks again for the feedback.
Can't help you on your questions, but I wanted to say I also have a 90 and find the flags a point of pride. It's our little connection back through 911 history. I'll never change em.
BLACK3.2 is online now  
Old 01-29-2019, 06:37 PM
  #20  
911Jetta
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
911Jetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NC
Posts: 6,437
Default

Originally Posted by dukmon View Post
After doing my research, talking with references and setting an appointment to drop the car off in March to be painted (and not have the car for 3 to 4 months), I cancelled.

Feel like I'm too rushed trying to prepare for things. Wasn't enjoying the process. Going to try again next winter.
I know you wanted to paint it, but I think it looked stunning the way it is... let's put in another road trip this summer/fall when I get back in town. Believe me, it's nice to not have to worry about your paint and just drive.




911Jetta is offline  
Old 01-30-2019, 01:53 AM
  #21  
Paolo1
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northeast
Posts: 485
Default

Has anyone wrapped the whole car in modern clear film after a re-paint and curing period? Yes, expensive on top of an already expensive paint process, but you'll ever worry about chips again.
Paolo1 is offline  
Old 01-30-2019, 09:48 AM
  #22  
dukmon
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
dukmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 323
Default

Originally Posted by 911Jetta View Post
I know you wanted to paint it, but I think it looked stunning the way it is... let's put in another road trip this summer/fall when I get back in town. Believe me, it's nice to not have to worry about your paint and just drive.

You bet!
I have to admit...... the recent track time with all the sand and other debris flying up from the cars ahead of me made me happy I didn't do that with a fresh paint job.
dukmon is offline  
Old 01-30-2019, 11:31 AM
  #23  
Spyerx
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Spyerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,300
Default

Originally Posted by dukmon View Post
You bet!
I have to admit...... the recent track time with all the sand and other debris flying up from the cars ahead of me made me happy I didn't do that with a fresh paint job.
AGREE. I am a fan of "good enough"
Too nice, I don't want to drive it.
Just needs to look decent. And, I'm OK w/ patina.
But, to spend 20k+ on paint, and beat it to hell would just irritate me.
Besides, these are old cars. I'll just touch up when needed.
Spyerx is offline  
Old 01-30-2019, 11:48 AM
  #24  
dukmon
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
dukmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 323
Default

On the track, almost each time I'd swing wide to avoid all of the debris from cars in front of me, they'd think I was going to pass........ so I would oblige.


Which made me sort of chortle to myself.
dukmon is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 12:57 PM
  #25  
911Jetta
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
911Jetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NC
Posts: 6,437
Default

Originally Posted by Paolo1 View Post
Has anyone wrapped the whole car in modern clear film after a re-paint and curing period? Yes, expensive on top of an already expensive paint process, but you'll ever worry about chips again.
My buddy (see pic below) just had much of his car repainted and wrapped. After spending $$$$ it looks fantastic and he road trips all year around with it. Totally makes sense and I should probably do it, but like Spyerx mentioned, I'm okay with patina, to an extent. I guess it's a personality thing, and my Porsche related fun money is limited. I'd rather spend $3,000 on suspension, tires, and mechanical updates/upgraded. Unlimited budget, sure wrap it up. Otherwise I'm going for mechanical bits.


Originally Posted by dukmon View Post
You bet!
I have to admit...... the recent track time with all the sand and other debris flying up from the cars ahead of me made me happy I didn't do that with a fresh paint job.
Now that your painting plans are mothballed a bit, spend that money to redo/upgrade your shifting bits. Remember your comments after our car switch. New forward rod, short shift, golden rod and (D55) trans mount insert is the ticket. Plus you need new motor mounts. Love making these cars tighter, they are so solid and those bits really reward you constantly and enhance the driving experience way beyond the looks.

911Jetta is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 02:12 PM
  #26  
dukmon
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
dukmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 323
Default

She's in the shop right now having motor mounts and a small list of other things done.
dukmon is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 04:35 PM
  #27  
911Jetta
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
911Jetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NC
Posts: 6,437
Default

Sweet. Let us know what you think after the install. Will definitely drive better on your next tack day without the engine flopping around back there.
911Jetta is offline  
Old 02-02-2019, 03:08 AM
  #28  
02m2
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 932
Default

1. How many 964’s have you taken apart and put back together?
2. Do you paint the doors on or off the car? Have them explain why...
3. Process for stripping the existing paint?
4. Explain your prep, paint and clear process including materials used, coats applied, paint brand etc.
5. Can I have the names and call for reference the last 5 911’s owners that you painted?
6. How long?
7. How much?
Price should be the last thing you should be concerned about....
02m2 is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: