Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper air inlet / brake ducts?

Old 11-15-2018, 05:30 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Bumper air inlet / brake ducts?

I ordered some of those nifty looking little air inlets for aesthetic purposes only to realize that i have to cut holes in my bumper for the ducts to protrude into the bumper. So i will either return them and keep my lights or go further by doing the full brake duct kit (hoses, deflector, etc).

Can someone provide some feedback on the benefits? Are they noticeable? This car is maybe 2-4 track days per year if I start using it as such. So far it's just a drive around car.

Car has big brake kit.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:13 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have some for a track car and found while they look cool - they do little to cool the brakes unless they are properly ducted.

More benefit came from removing the back metal brake shields.

Marc

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 12-10-2018 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Typo/added info
Old 12-10-2018, 10:08 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Second to remove brake shield. I removed mine made small shield for sensor and ran hose to brake disk center using a custom made mount bracket that bolts on the caliper mount. Works great lot of air flow from inlet in front airdam. NOT the light replacement duct.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:19 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
Second to remove brake shield. I removed mine made small shield for sensor and ran hose to brake disk center using a custom made mount bracket that bolts on the caliper mount. Works great lot of air flow from inlet in front airdam. NOT the light replacement duct.
+1
Here's what that looks like on Bob Gagnon's car
Old 12-10-2018, 12:21 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
I have some for a track car and found while they look, cool - they do little to cool the brakes.

More benefit came from removing the back metal brake shields.

Marc
Look who came out of retirement? Or did you retire and now you're here?
Old 12-10-2018, 01:56 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I decided to vent mine to the dual oil coolers. My brakes barely come to operating temp with endurance pads lol. At current pace / r-comp tires.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:22 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

B
Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
I don’t want to derail this thread but yeah - someone left the backdoor unlocked so I snuck back in. 😁
Old 12-13-2018, 11:30 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
No Kidding

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
B

I don’t want to derail this thread but yeah - someone left the backdoor unlocked so I snuck back in. 😁
Good to see you back Marc, hope all is well with you, your contributions have been missed (and missed you at the track these past few years)
Old 12-13-2018, 11:33 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh, and I agree, if you are doing brake ducts, then you need to run the hose to the hubs, only way this works effectively. otherwise, as been said removal of the backer plates provides a considerable increase in air flow.

Some people will say that it will diminish your 'wet weather' braking as the rotors are now more exposed to splashes from standing water etc, I have not noticed any real negative's of removing the backer plates.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:00 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
Oh, and I agree, if you are doing brake ducts, then you need to run the hose to the hubs, only way this works effectively. otherwise, as been said removal of the backer plates provides a considerable increase in air flow.

Some people will say that it will diminish your 'wet weather' braking as the rotors are now more exposed to splashes from standing water etc, I have not noticed any real negative's of removing the backer plates.
The soft pieces like wheel speed sensor and ball joint rubber need to be shielded from heat, hence the cut down versions used on Cup cars
Old 12-14-2018, 05:37 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Just a late follow up to show the mods that I made to keep front brakes cooler as mine get hot. I did take a different line ( thanks 911 for this) and ran my hose in the frame channel then back out to get around tire due to limited room. Also you can see small shield that I made along with hose mounting bracket. you can also see the front brake scoop that is built into my front area.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bumper air inlet / brake ducts?