Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 accelerator sticking

Old 12-06-2018, 08:35 PM
krakhor9
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 accelerator sticking

Hey guys. Took the car out today and the gas seems to stick and not return as it should.
If I press the pedal down, it seems to stay on the gas even with my foot off it for a little while. I checked the obvious, like the floor mats being in the way.
Under the hood, when the car is off... I moved the throttle with my finger and it seems to be slow to return there... so I am guessing it is not a cable either.

Is this something someone of little car knowledge can work on themselves? Does something need to be lubricated? Or maybe a part is bad?

Any input would be great.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2018, 09:41 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Krakhor9, there isn't too much to the throttle cable system in these cars. Most if not all of the return/spring comes from in the engine bay at the throttle.
So either there is too much slack in the system or you've got some corrosion/gunk in the accelerator cable.

I had a similar problem after I first got my '89 C4. Turned out the adjustment screw at the throttle body had back its way out and allowed too much slack. So when I released the pedel, it did not return all the way.

Could be that. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:06 AM
wallra
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

If you have cruse control check that cable also.where the cable go's into the plastic at the throttle linkage mine would pop out and hold the throttle up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 964 accelerator sticking