Sponsored by:

Rennline Floorboards and Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 08:30 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 273 Posts
Default Rennline Floorboards and Pedals

I see a ton of these on google searches. I like the looks of them, but do they have any real purpose? I do like that they are adjustable. Do they enhance the driving experience? Also, what is the reason for the passenger footboard? Is it so a passenger can press their feet against it to hold themselves in better? Thanks for any help.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 11-13-2018, 09:13 PM
luft
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

good question Greg. I like the looks also but wonder as well. I have 3 pedals installed and don't feel any difference driving the car on the street, that does not mean anything as i drive all my car's boring, just enjoying myself being in a air cooled Porsche just the sound and no radio playing. One pedal i would like to buy, is the dead pedal if only not to damage the carpet over the years, whimsy me LOL.

Anybody?

Last edited by luft; 11-16-2018 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:08 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 491 Likes on 364 Posts

The Rennline aluminum floor boards are a nice alternative to the driver side wooden floor boards that tend to disintegrate over time. Unless the car is fully stripped with exposed wiring, however, the passenger side floor board is largely superfluous in my estimation.

Racing pedals do serve a purpose. Rubber pedals wear down over time, and they're slippery when wet. A good racing pedal will afford more grip with a non-slip surface, and they're metal and don't wear down over time like rubber pedals. The heel-toe maneuver is essential on the track, and a good racing pedal with a throttle extension can make this an easier task (although to be truthful, I can heel-toe just fine without a throttle extension).

You didn't mention Rennline's track mats. Rennline's regular track mats will fit right over the non-removable carpeting, and can be covered completely with factory floor mats when not in use. I found these to be a great addition for Autocross and track days, as they protect the carpeting from dirt and moisture. And the Rennline full track mats are a great addition for a fully stripped car. Over time, however, I found the metal mats to be slippery when wet. Largely for that reason I now run with old-school wooden floor boards (with Rennline countersunk washers, Ha!).

If you are looking for a dead pedal or a pair of racing pedals, I have some for sale here 964/993 Basement Sale

Rennline dead pedal and floorboards, racing pedals by Ultimate Pedals, Trackmats by Foxman

If the car is full stripped, a Rennline passenger floor board will help protect the wiring

I'm just in the process of making a wooden track mat and installing a Rennline passenger floor board in my 964
Old 11-13-2018, 10:41 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
The Rennline aluminum floor boards are a nice alternative to the driver side wooden floor boards that tend to disintegrate over time. Unless the car is fully stripped with exposed wiring, however, the passenger side floor board is largely superfluous in my estimation.

Racing pedals do serve a purpose. Rubber pedals wear down over time, and they're slippery when wet. A good racing pedal will afford more grip with a non-slip surface, and they're metal and don't wear down over time like rubber pedals. The heel-toe maneuver is essential on the track, and a good racing pedal with a throttle extension can make this an easier task (although to be truthful, I can heel-toe just fine without a throttle extension).

You didn't mention Rennline's track mats. Rennline's regular track mats will fit right over the non-removable carpeting, and can be covered completely with factory floor mats when not in use. I found these to be a great addition for Autocross and track days, as they protect the carpeting from dirt and moisture. And the Rennline full track mats are a great addition for a fully stripped car. Over time, however, I found the metal mats to be slippery when wet. Largely for that reason I now run with old-school wooden floor boards (with Rennline countersunk washers, Ha!).

If you are looking for a dead pedal or a pair of racing pedals, I have some for sale here 964/993 Basement Sale

Rennline dead pedal and floorboards, racing pedals by Ultimate Pedals, Trackmats by Foxman

If the car is full stripped, a Rennline passenger floor board will help protect the wiring

I'm just in the process of making a wooden track mat and installing a Rennline passenger floor board in my 964
Foxman, thanks for your post. Your car looks fantastic. I like your exact setup. How is the floorboard behind the pedals mounted?

Mr. Wolfe
Old 11-13-2018, 11:31 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts

The Rennline adjustable gas pedal is well worth the price, whereas I think the other pedal covers are mostly cosmetic.
With the adjustable pedal, you can really set it up for your driving style - move it closer to you to enable easier heel-toe downshifting in street conditions (i.e. under less aggressive braking) or further away if you drive the car on track or you're often downshifting while you're hard on the brakes. In addition to moving the pedal forwards and backwards you can also adjust the angle of the pedal to what is most comfortable for you (I run mine leaning slightly further back at the top than stock) and use one, both, or neither of the side wings as your shoe size requires. I think it's a must-do upgrade.

I also have the track mat, and its nice, but I wouldn't say it's as critical an improvement.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:47 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

I set up our cars with an aluminum floor board because the oem ones tend to warp over time due to water Ingres...usually from shoes on a wet day. The reason this is an issue is because the clutch pedal stop moves back, and then if it moves too far, your clutch master is stopping the pedal travel as the piston reaches its full travel. This is how we constantly break roll pins in the pedal box.

If you move to a rennline floor board, you have to move the oem clutch pedal stop to the rennline floor board to prevent this. Not sure why this isn't covered more often, since i am constantly buying old crappy oem floor boards to retrofit the parts onto rennline boards that were installed incorrectly.

As to pedals, i use a hargett racing adjustable throttle pedal in my car and all the other guys use the rennline adjustable pedal. We don't use pedal overlays for the throttle pedal. This allows for proper setup relative to your car and your driving style. I like to use the bottom wing on the rennline pedal and i do not use the upper wing, as it tends to get in the way when heal/toe-ing. Or pedals have to move way too far for the upper wing to be affective. It not like a formula ford where you are using just small action on the pedals....particularly once a bit of brake fade sets in...

I also remove all of the rubber grips on the rennline throttle pedal. I like a slippery throttle pedal.

As to the brake and clutch pedals, i like them to be oem with oem rubber pads. I like a sure grip on those pedals. If i had my way, I'd make a set of pedal pads that were a slightly harder rubber. I don't need that much cushion. But i like the grip.

I've not seen nor found a better way to setup our car for performance driving in what are effectively "street" shoes.

For the rest....if it's not a track car...all the other stuff is for looks. The passenger foot board, track pads, dead pedal cover etc...my car came with all that crap and a set of pedal overlays...and they were the first things to be tossed. Second to be tossed were the stainless sill covers that said "Carrera 4"...lol

And one more thing- if you plan on driving in crappy weather- don't buy the floor board with the holes- cuz all you are doing is dropping water into your pedal box and you will have dirt and grime getting into the bushings and rust on unprotected areas and you will be causing more maintenance over time.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:18 AM
Mikke_Possu
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I have installed the rennline pedals 6 years ago and I'm really like them. The gas pedal went just a correct position. They will works great on the track and the street. I have never thought that a race mat is of any importance. More like a "looks nice".
I also have dead pedal but never installed it since it's more like cosmetic thing. Nice looking tough.

Happy driving......
Old 11-14-2018, 04:08 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Wolfe
Foxman, thanks for your post. Your car looks fantastic. I like your exact setup. How is the floorboard behind the pedals mounted?

Mr. Wolfe
Thanks Greg,

Simply disconnect the throttle cable from the gas pedal and the floor board slips right over the brake and clutch pedals. I use a dab of marine grease and a wrench to hold the throttle cable steady to pop the throttle back on. Also good advice by Goughary to make sure to install the clutch pedal stop.

Pedal Board slides over clutch and brake pedals once the throttle pedal is disconnected (Note clutch pedal stop salvaged from original floor board)

A dab of marine grease for the ball on the throttle cable

Hold cable steady with a wrench, and snap the throttle pedal back on and you're done
Old 11-14-2018, 08:13 AM
wallra
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

I have the ones like foxman and they grip my shoes better. foot don't slip. I put in the complete kit with floor boards and they are a little slippery. that was last years Christmas gift to myself
Old 11-14-2018, 06:33 PM
Feudal Serf
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some great comments here!

My Floorboard was soft and worn, And there was a big heel dent under the throttle.

The clutch stop is key, our hydraulic clutches and master cylinders need a consistant stop point as Goughary rightly identifies.

Sound deadening goes bad, cracks and crumbles and is a reservoir for moisture, nice to get that out of the drivers side.

I love the adjustability of and the addition of throttle pedal extenders, makes heel toe downshifts a real joy. Just a rotation of your right foot while braking

Less slippery.

Adds confidence and directness of the pedal inputs, which is so fitting for the whole driving experience.

Looks great.

Downside, scratches if fine dirt or rocks find their way inside.

Overall for me, its one of those nice things i notice right away as i sit in the drivers seat, and i wouldn't have it any other way.

Cheers
FS
IG@beechhousegarage

Old 11-15-2018, 08:06 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

So........ our factory floor boards are wood??
Old 11-15-2018, 08:12 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dukmon
So........ our factory floor boards are wood??
Correct Sir

Old 11-15-2018, 09:34 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct Sir

They're not floor boards though, they are pedal boards

Factory floorbaords don't exist, its just thick rubber insulation with carpet over the top
Old 11-15-2018, 09:38 AM
wallra
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

I have no problem with my clutch stop. everything clears nice.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:43 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

Correct Sir

I had no idea...... I'm sure they're sustainably harvested, small batch, forest to floorboard.

Quick Reply: Rennline Floorboards and Pedals