Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter is coming- what's the project?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 10:13 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Winter is coming- what's the project?

Let's hear what we all have in mind for winter....

For me- i have to get a good warm day to paint the driver side intake manifold and finish up intake madness and get that installed...I'm going to have a bit of "while your in there" to take care of, new pressure regulator, fuel filter, carbon canister, and a bunch of cleaning...have to clean and renovate an afm (this will all be on the intake madness thread)...and then who knows...

Looks like my wheel bearings that i installed during suspension madness- at least the rears, are failing already...i already replaced the fronts - which is a long story or ***, vs skf, vs oem, that I'll get into and explain on suspension madness when i get there....needless to say I'll never buy a *** brand bearing again.

And then there is the new exhaust, coming soon to exhaust madness, and sound dampening to go with that, which is a while interior deal...

And then there is the higher flow injectors and adding more air in through the intake...but cheep horse power madness hasn't yet begun and that's not likely happening this winter...

And,,,I've got a rust bubble under my front window- so that may become a winter thing...but let's get through intake madness first!

I drive this everyday as my only car- so winter doesn't afford me as much time as some of the guys that have it off the road for 4 months. What are you going to be up to?
Old 11-01-2018, 11:06 AM
gregmitch
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Put a roof rack on and go snowboarding.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:24 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Driving :-)

And a transmission regear.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:54 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Good topic Rob. My cars hibernate for the winter.

On my cabrio, I will be working to remove and replace one of the roof header cam locks. The gearbox appears to be stripped in the closed position. It won't release even if I manually spin the motor. Not exactly sure how I will get the header to release. I may have to unbolt the rear pivot points so I can shift the roof rearward. If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it.

On my coupe, I plan on removing my DAS roll bar and to sell it. The urge to drive on the track has waned. I had stopped DE events while our daughter was going through college. I prefer weekend drives through the mountains, so I will be pulling out the roll bar and selling it with the GT3 seats that I had planned to install.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:57 AM
Bigsix964
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

-Fix bumper smile
-oil/air filter
-resupport cup pipe, the whole system has begun to sag where the tailpipe is now slumping visibly.
-have an issue with part of the passenger side shark fin not staying put so I need to investigate what’s missing/broken
-would like to do plugs and brake fluid
-I’m a tall guy; after reading what the right steering wheel will do for bigger 911 drivers I may be in the market.
Only other plan for winter is to make sure I find some time in an empty parking lot shortly after some snowfall
Otherwise it basically hibernates.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:15 PM
gregmitch
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigsix964
-Fix bumper smile
-oil/air filter
-resupport cup pipe, the whole system has begun to sag where the tailpipe is now slumping visibly.
-have an issue with part of the passenger side shark fin not staying put so I need to investigate what’s missing/broken
-would like to do plugs and brake fluid
-I’m a tall guy; after reading what the right steering wheel will do for bigger 911 drivers I may be in the market.
Only other plan for winter is to make sure I find some time in an empty parking lot shortly after some snowfall
Otherwise it basically hibernates.
Reminds me I need to fix my bumper smile too. Bugs me every time I walk up to the car.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:50 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Well...

Looking to take it in and have the AC lines re-routed around the front of the engine and the front AC lines replaced
Cerakote on the fan shroud and Compressor bracket
Rear wiper delete
6x9 speakers in rear
Tinted windows

Deep breath and check account balance

6-1/2" speakers in doors
New amp under seat
PC brake calipers/ new pads, new disks, stainless steal brake lines

More to follow
Old 11-01-2018, 02:01 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I have legitimately been debating this for the last few weeks. Hoping to not spend a TON this winter because I went a little nuts with my watch purchase. Thinking either golden rod + rothsport shifter, and then steering rack brace, or maybe just start stacking up some parts for what I plan on doing once it comes out of hibernation. Oil return tubes, caps and rotors, distributor belt, etc.

Ultimately I'll probably do both, just which one do I want to do over xmas break vs what do I want to do in the spring when it's not an average of 10-15 degrees during the day.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:14 PM
Hem
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

- get all the major oil lines pulled off and get them to my local diesel hydraulic shop to recrimp the ends back on
- tackle learning how to adjust my own valves
- find the damn thing that's slowly draining my battery
Old 11-01-2018, 02:41 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hem
- find the damn thing that's slowly draining my battery
My $ is on the CCU. That should probably go on my list too.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:34 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

I recently replaced my Power Steering pressure how and reservoir hose. Phase 1 of my restore/mod project is a top end rebuild at 197k this Nov. Hoping to have it back by Christmas or just after to enjoy the cool temps and since a/c isn't working.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:49 PM
Hem
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SR20Fastback
My $ is on the CCU. That should probably go on my list too.
Probably so....I'm hoping for a faulty glove box switch or something easy!
Old 11-01-2018, 04:07 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hem
Probably so....I'm hoping for a faulty glove box switch or something easy!

Now that would be nice! I already know it's my CCU, almost a half amp draw, which doesn't play well with that lightweight odyssey battery either.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:41 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

[QUOTE=Goughary;15401932]Let's hear what we all have in mind for winter....

For me- i have to get a good warm day to paint the driver side intake manifold and finish up intake madness and get that installed...I'm going to have a bit of "while your in there" to take care of, new pressure regulator, fuel filter, carbon canister, and a bunch of cleaning...have to clean and renovate an afm (this will all be on the intake madness thread)...and then who knows...

Looks like my wheel bearings that i installed during suspension madness- at least the rears, are failing already...i already replaced the fronts - which is a long story or ***, vs skf, vs oem, that I'll get into and explain on suspension madness when i get there....needless to say I'll never buy a *** brand bearing again.

And then there is the new exhaust, coming soon to exhaust madness, and sound dampening to go with that, which is a while interior deal...

And then there is the higher flow injectors and adding more air in through the intake...but cheep horse power madness hasn't yet begun and that's not likely happening this winter...

And,,,I've got a rust bubble under my front window- so that may become a winter thing...but let's get through intake madness first!

I drive this everyday as my only car- so winter doesn't afford me as much time as some of the guys that have it off the road for 4 months. What are you going to be up to?[/Q

some time the new wheel bearing come through with no grease in them. I've herd a guy with a boxer put two in then when he looked at the third he saw no grease in it.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:07 PM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Loads of stuff to do:

- Paint and fit genuine front bumper to replace my GRP one
- Paint and fit carbon kevlar hood
- Fit lightweight battery
- Replace polycarbonate rear screen with RS rear screen
- Refurb front wheels
- Fit 993 longitudinals to increase track
- Fit CAE shifter
- Replace back box with a custom made crossover pipe
- May replace the factory LSD with a GT3 Cup one if budget allows

Quick Reply: Winter is coming- what's the project?