Winter is coming- what's the project?

Old 12-10-2018, 12:48 AM
simonstorey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Santa Cruz Red
... driving in the rain.
2nd that.
Best part of driving a C4 is hooning in the wet.
So far any attempts at getting sideways have failed.
Amazing car.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:18 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 137 Posts

Dropping the engine for a 6 speed / rs flywheel transplant. Reseal as needed lots of small stuff while it’s out. New motion control dampers,rs carriers 993 brakes of some flavor, booster etc.... Need some seats as well. Love to add electric power steering as well but I’ll be doing well just to get this much together by April.

Doing the work with my mechanic- he’s cool about guiding me the process and buttoning up the stuff I can’t get too. I’m good at spending way too much time on details.

Pete
Old 12-10-2018, 11:01 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Good topic Rob. My cars hibernate for the winter.

On my cabrio, I will be working to remove and replace one of the roof header cam locks. The gearbox appears to be stripped in the closed position. It won't release even if I manually spin the motor. Not exactly sure how I will get the header to release. I may have to unbolt the rear pivot points so I can shift the roof rearward. If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it.

On my coupe, I plan on removing my DAS roll bar and to sell it. The urge to drive on the track has waned. I had stopped DE events while our daughter was going through college. I prefer weekend drives through the mountains, so I will be pulling out the roll bar and selling it with the GT3 seats that I had planned to install.
Update - I was able to fix my cabrio's roof latch lock. I was lucky, the fault was a stripped gear. You can buy replacements from Total911. I found this video to be very helpful.

Note: My DAS roll bar is sold.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:28 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Not doing as much as preparing for bigger things.

0/ Drive as much as possible. My season for driving is Oct to May.
1/ Figure out if AFM is correctly functioning. I suspect the temp sensor not working well.
2/ Replace fire extinguisher.
3/ Get all parts together for cosmetic refresh inside and out. Not full respray, but new exterior seals (excluding window seals), source OE leather hide (that stuff is pricey).
4/ Find out what how to fix my gearbox - with help of my mech who has my original box. I am driving on my spare box. Get parts for fix and rebuild.
5/ Install dash cam.

The two big tasks are for next summer.

Enjoy the projects everybody.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:55 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 137 Posts

Fully underway:
It’s a snowing.....

Old 12-18-2018, 11:30 PM
APEXHNTR
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Now 4 brake lights

Utilizing the fog lights as accessory brake lights.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:13 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by APEXHNTR
Utilizing the fog lights as accessory brake lights.
Lucky - I'd hoped to do the same. However, in the UK it's illegal to utilise (manufacturer fitted) rear fog lights as additional brake lights

Old 12-19-2018, 05:22 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Winter List:
> Fitting your interaxle diff lock slave cylinder seals, Rob.
> Fitting rear reflector replacement grille from Andrew
> Buy garage scissor lift
> Get my head round the possibility of changing chain cover gaskets with engine in place
> Template and make up rear wheel arch liners
Old 12-19-2018, 06:37 AM
Mikke_Possu
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I just ordered lb2 from fvd. 993-coil conversion is ongoing but not in this year.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:29 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by LM964
Lucky - I'd hoped to do the same. However, in the UK it's illegal to utilise (manufacturer fitted) rear fog lights as additional brake lights
You have some wacky rules over there. You would think with the poor visibility of the brake lights this would be welcomed.

I finally received my missing cylinder and the build is back on. Once the timing is done the fitting of the 993GT3 intake and custom throttle is next. Then the exhaust and garrett BB turbos.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:04 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,631 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Making my cab top a manual, since one side is now inop.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:24 AM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
You have some wacky rules over there. You would think with the poor visibility of the brake lights this would be welcomed.

I finally received my missing cylinder and the build is back on. Once the timing is done the fitting of the 993GT3 intake and custom throttle is next. Then the exhaust and garrett BB turbos.

Maybe I've been living in a hole, but I've never heard of using a GT3 intake. What's the benefit? Why this route over ITBs?
Old 12-19-2018, 12:32 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by LM964
Winter List:
> Fitting your interaxle diff lock slave cylinder seals, Rob.
> Fitting rear reflector replacement grille from Andrew
> Buy garage scissor lift
> Get my head round the possibility of changing chain cover gaskets with engine in place
> Template and make up rear wheel arch liners
That's awesome. Take some pics of the diff slave seal replacement. Watch the direction on the center seal and if you need any help feel free to get in touch and i can walk you through it...

Also, if you stretch the seal and it feels too big - let it sit in a warm place and it'll shrink down. I thought once i had screwed one up, and a day later it was right and fit fine in the bore.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:34 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACK3.2

Maybe I've been living in a hole, but I've never heard of using a GT3 intake. What's the benefit? Why this route over ITBs?
The GT3 intake is usually used with ITB's. I am sticking with the low boost twin turbo approach I had as it will cost a bit less and HP and torque will be considerably higher over ITB's. I don't need to go the high revving route for track duty and the longevity should be greater. So far I have installed pauter rods, custom pistons, stronger valve springs and Ti retainers. The engine will be good for a reliable track duty 500 rwhp and torque. More than enough for a 2650 pound car. I am trying to save the weight over the varioram intake that was on the car before and the GT3 castings are cheap.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:58 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Agreed. The thought being that other drivers behind may get confused over someone actually braking or just using rear fog lights. Tried a few years ago some LED bulbs - totally useless and threw them away. Any rear light high intensity LED bulb recommendations?

Originally Posted by Goughary
That's awesome. Take some pics of the diff slave seal replacement. Watch the direction on the center seal and if you need any help feel free to get in touch and i can walk you through it...

Also, if you stretch the seal and it feels too big - let it sit in a warm place and it'll shrink down. I thought once i had screwed one up, and a day later it was right and fit fine in the bore.
Will do. I've been good and not removed the seals from the bag yet - don't want to touch/contaminate in any way until just before I fit them to the piston. Hoping I can do all this without having to bleed the whole C4 system - way too much hassle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter is coming- what's the project?