Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

... driving in the rain.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:33 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,934 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Wow where to begin.

I am having difficulty getting my engine build started. I am missing a cylinder. Somehow when being reconditioned one was misplaced. They plan to make good on it but nothing as of yet.

So everything is sitting waiting for me to begin. Although This Monday I will finally start on the bottom end. Everything has been inspected. Crank, flywheel and pressure plate balanced together, heads are done with new valve guides, valves, upgraded valve springs and Ti retainers. Custom CP pistons, pauter rods, ARP etc etc.

Once the engine is built then we start on the custom intake and exhaust. I am moving my turbos to the side and exhaust will use the factory locations so I can lower the car more. Then hours on the dyno breaking the motor in and tuning. Multiple selectable power modes and adjustments. Lower and realign, corner balance etc.

When I am done with that project it will be time to drop the engine on my C2. It has been 12k miles since a valve adjustment so I want to go over everything. Full clean and inspect everything.

If their is still winter left I will do the same with the turbo and then onto the 928. I think before I start I need to install a cot in the garage LOL.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:40 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 105 Posts

Entire 993 front end is due to go in... but I picked up a 993 racecar that's occupying the lift. The plan is to have that good to go by the new year and tear into the 964 in January.

Short list is the usual, new RS rubber LCA bushings in 993 arms, 993 longs, 993 rack with fresh seals, rebuilt big reds and 993 c2 rears, 993 booster and MC, Elephant tie rods, 993 RS sway bar and ERP tie rods, Cup electric pump, delete the stuff in the bay, and get the Motons in with it all. Have it driving by late March would be the goal.

Wish me luck!
Old 11-02-2018, 10:33 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Santa Cruz Red
... driving in the rain.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:30 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

New project, just picked up some recaro SRDs today. Hopefully will have them in hand in a couple of weeks and mounted before thanksgiving.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:51 AM
makoshark72
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Straighten the smile, install new suspension (B6's, Eibachs, and new bushings), install Continental stereo......
Old 11-03-2018, 04:44 PM
pitts12driver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything. Body down to bare metal - delivered to paint shop Thursday!
Engine headed to Rothsport for a 4 liter build
Every single part I can replace being changed...
Old 11-03-2018, 06:04 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pitts12driver
Tell us more.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:16 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I’m afraid to ask, but if you’re comfortable sharing; what do they quote for a 4L build?
Old 11-03-2018, 10:26 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

1. Work on finishing Talia’s return to Mint Green
2. Work on finishing Talia’s return to Mint Green
😎
Old 11-03-2018, 10:40 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnK964
1. Work on finishing Talia’s return to Mint Green
2. Work on finishing Talia’s return to Mint Green
😎
Did I mention I need to work on finishing Talia’s return to Mint Green
Old 11-04-2018, 02:36 PM
Whitezulu
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

1. Finally decide whether i upgrade the engine to 3.8 or 4 liter or get another engine and leave the “matching numbers” untouched
2. Aluminium front hood and fasteners front and rear
3. Finally replace original cr1 radio with the classic navigation, ( could not figure out how to take out the old unit last time)
4. Mount front tow hook
5. Mount spring plates Then geometry and retorque suspension
and maybe...
6. Mount 935 style mirrors

Lets see how far i get....
Old 11-04-2018, 06:21 PM
pitts12driver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Tell us more.
i took the body down to bare metal. While doing that, it occurred to me that I should change a few parts. That has snowballed into everything you can imagine. All new fuel/oil lines, upgraded griffiths AC components, new coolers, new blower motors, upgraded climate control ecu, brembo GT brakes, 9m uprights, motion control suspension, RS bars, Tarrett inner tie rods, elephant racing bushings and spring plates, rebuilt manual steering rack, all new seals and gaskets, 993 door handles, full custom interior, heigo roll bar, recaro pole position, Rothsport shifter and linkages, wevo engine mounts, color matched tachometer, rear seat delete, wheels machined from scratch similar to GT3 pattern, Bill Rader transmission overhaul/regear, Rothsport engine with Motec, M&M exhaust, Getty ducktail. I’m sure I’ve missed some of it, but you get the idea...

Per one of the other questions, the engine costs approximately as much as a 964...
Old 11-04-2018, 09:20 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whitezulu
1. Finally decide whether i upgrade the engine to 3.8 or 4 liter or get another engine and leave the “matching numbers” untouched
2. Aluminium front hood and fasteners front and rear
3. Finally replace original cr1 radio with the classic navigation, ( could not figure out how to take out the old unit last time)
4. Mount front tow hook
5. Mount spring plates Then geometry and retorque suspension
and maybe...
6. Mount 935 style mirrors

Lets see how far i get....
Honestly unless you're going all out to build a high revving ITB engine which gets costly, the 3.8 isn't enough gain for the money spent to do right. There are many other things you can spend the money on and get equal gains if not more.

I wouldn't do an aluminum hood they are pricey and ding too easily. I had one on a previous 911 and I hated it.

i took the body down to bare metal. While doing that, it occurred to me that I should change a few parts. That has snowballed into everything you can imagine. All new fuel/oil lines, upgraded griffiths AC components, new coolers, new blower motors, upgraded climate control ecu, brembo GT brakes, 9m uprights, motion control suspension, RS bars, Tarrett inner tie rods, elephant racing bushings and spring plates, rebuilt manual steering rack, all new seals and gaskets, 993 door handles, full custom interior, heigo roll bar, recaro pole position, Rothsport shifter and linkages, wevo engine mounts, color matched tachometer, rear seat delete, wheels machined from scratch similar to GT3 pattern, Bill Rader transmission overhaul/regear, Rothsport engine with Motec, M&M exhaust, Getty ducktail. I’m sure I’ve missed some of it, but you get the idea...

Per one of the other questions, the engine costs approximately as much as a 964...

LOL That wasn't a slippery slope it was a cliff dive. Good stuff must be a blast and the right way to do it. Maybe a thread with some pics?
Old 11-05-2018, 02:51 PM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

This winter....
Das roll bar
install S/S brake lines & bleed
Drive on salt-free days
A far cry from where I was last winter

Quick Reply: Winter is coming- what's the project?