Sponsored by:

Winter cleaning.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 05:27 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by GoatFarmer
I like the front jacking solution. I will pick up one of those at Harbor Freight.

Is that where that brace/lifting device are from? I hate that there is no solid lifting point for the front center of my car (even if I could get a jack there). I'm not far away from just getting a set of quickjacks though, unless I can find something easier/simpler/smaller/cheaper.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:56 PM
Ljuice10
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SR20Fastback
Is that where that brace/lifting device are from? I hate that there is no solid lifting point for the front center of my car (even if I could get a jack there). I'm not far away from just getting a set of quickjacks though, unless I can find something easier/simpler/smaller/cheaper.
yes, Harbor Freight. They were on sale last week, 20% off for the jack and special lifting tool for the front. There is a few spots in the front you can get the part under the car safely.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:26 PM
Ljuice10
Advanced

My first caliper is finished with the exception of sanding down the spot where the Porsche logo resides. Based in the oven on 350 degrees for 35mins. Lots of lessons learned and now I need to get the rears off the car and finish the other three.

Last edited by Ljuice10; 10-29-2018 at 10:32 PM. Reason: pics
Old 10-30-2018, 04:14 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Ljuice10

yes, Harbor Freight. They were on sale last week, 20% off for the jack and special lifting tool for the front. There is a few spots in the front you can get the part under the car safely.

Cool I'll try to go check out the local HF this weekend. Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-09-2018, 09:03 AM
Ljuice10
Advanced

A few updates. Front calipers are finished and mounted. Waiting for the hard lines. Fixed the side skirt weather stripping on the drivers side. Took some work, but finally got the rear calipers off the car.

Last edited by Ljuice10; 11-09-2018 at 09:03 AM. Reason: edit
Old 11-10-2018, 04:29 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 139 Posts

you think so? I was thinking about raising the car slightly. It a pain in the *** to ride in these streets.
Current stance looks good.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:55 PM
Ljuice10
Advanced

After getting the rear rotors and calipers off the car, spending hours prepping the calipers for paint, I saw this. I was putting the new brake wear sensors on, cleaning the hubs and shined the light into the wheel well and.......
Old 11-10-2018, 09:24 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 140 Posts

Good thing about cleaning, you spot mechanical issues. Easy job, just messy
Old 11-10-2018, 09:26 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

A few updates. Front calipers are finished and mounted. Waiting for the hard lines. Fixed the side skirt weather stripping on the drivers side. Took some work, but finally got the rear calipers off the car.

Nice job! There is a rennlister in the classifieds section who is selling some caliper logos. Bought them a few months ago. Look like the right size and font when I compared them with my calipers...
Old 11-10-2018, 10:30 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

That’s a big improvement, nice job!

Definitely get that coupling repaired, that grease would make a mess of your recently cleaned wheel wells.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:28 PM
Ljuice10
Advanced

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
That’s a big improvement, nice job!

Definitely get that coupling repaired, that grease would make a mess of your recently cleaned wheel wells.
Thanks. I'm priming and paint the rear calipers tomorrow morning. Once I'm done. I start the process of removing the axle. From what I have read, you remove the nut on the hub, then the bolts connecting the axle to the transmission and it should come right off. Is that correct? I may have to jack the trailing arm on the passenger side to get the axle to slide out.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:28 PM
Ljuice10
Advanced

Originally Posted by samurai_k
Nice job! There is a rennlister in the classifieds section who is selling some caliper logos. Bought them a few months ago. Look like the right size and font when I compared them with my calipers...
Thank you. I've been looking for the correct decals.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:27 PM
Ljuice10
Advanced

I some advise. So, I installed all the rotors and calipers on the car, and I went back and double checked everything again just to make sure all the bolts were torque to spec, brake lines were tight, and I noticed the passenger side front rotor wasn’t spinning freely with the caliper and brake pads attached. It looks like the rotor may be warped, while on the car. But when I took it off and placed it on the table, it looks right. I placed a level on multiple spots on the rotor and it still seems like it’s fine. I cannot tell if the hub is bent with the naked eye. Is there a better way to check each of these components?
Old 11-14-2018, 11:15 AM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Did you take the spring plates off and check for corrosion behind them. There will be a white powder build up and the spring plate will extend out just a few mm and not let the pads fully retract. They are a pain to get out since you are supposed to heat the allen bolts that hold them in. The factory used locktite. I could get them out without heating but is was work when i rebuilt mine. That is potentially the problem. Sometimes you can sand off a little brake pad if they are over size. I remember somewhere on an old post some brands of brake pads were slightly oversized.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:26 PM
Ljuice10
Advanced

Quick update. Did everything that was suggested to me by the awesome members on this board (clean hubs, check spring plates off and check for corrosion behind them, put the other rotor from the drivers side and check with that rotor) and it was definitely the rotor. I called Vertex in Miami and told them what happened and they drop shipped a new rotor to me the very next day. It arrived 15mins ago, unboxed the new rotor, installed it, checked to see if that fixed the issue and presto, everything is right in the world. Re-installed the caliper, brake pads, brake line, torqued the bolts and the brake are finished. I'll bleed the system tomorrow morning and then start work on getting the axle off and to the shop for repair. Got quoted $90 to fix the axle and then all I need is my tires and elephant racing bump steer kit installed. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Quick Reply: Winter cleaning.....