Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

airbag and seat belt lights on

Old 10-21-2018, 06:15 PM
Sucram
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airbag and seat belt lights on

Hi there - I know this has been discussed extensively ....so my apologies upfront if there is a better place to start searching for this...

Two months ago the airbag and seat belt lights went on. I replaced at the time a few rear light bulbs from stock to led...and I do think that this might be the issue. I did not try to replace them back to stock and see what happens so I thought that someone might have happened through the same process in the past. Any thoughts or ideas on where to start from? I am not planning to take it to the shop until I can do some research and hopefully permanent fix myself...and learn from this beautiful piece of machinery!! Thanks in advance and all the best! I am sharing one pic with my 964 C4 cabrio

Old 10-23-2018, 03:41 PM
Sucram
Advanced

Did someone come accros this same issue when upgrading stock halogen bulbs to led? Thanks you!!
Old 10-23-2018, 06:03 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

first try is to use a durametric or hammer etc to reset the lights. see if it goes away and clears. if so, you're good, if not, you may have an actual ABS issue.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:53 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Did you mess with the clock at all recently?

Old 10-23-2018, 09:28 PM
Sucram
Advanced

Originally Posted by Spyerx
first try is to use a durametric or hammer etc to reset the lights. see if it goes away and clears. if so, you're good, if not, you may have an actual ABS issue.
thanks Spyrex! I guess that a more sophisticated OBDII would do nothing here right? These scanners are a bit expensive for my budget ...probably a local rennlist or PCA friend might help me out here, please! Another option I guess is going to my local Porsche shop and ask them for a quick reset
Old 10-23-2018, 09:30 PM
Sucram
Advanced

Originally Posted by BLACK3.2
Did you mess with the clock at all recently?

hi Black 3.2! Not at all...clock is working as it should with no lights. Again I installed led lights recently (lincense plate, Parquing lights and rear brake lights...). Could this be the issue? Thanks all for your knowledge and advice!
Old 10-23-2018, 11:59 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sucram

thanks Spyrex! I guess that a more sophisticated OBDII would do nothing here right? These scanners are a bit expensive for my budget ...probably a local rennlist or PCA friend might help me out here, please! Another option I guess is going to my local Porsche shop and ask them for a quick reset
no you’ll need a round plug odb1 connector and either:
durametric pro maybe personal will work
bosch hammer
torre odb scanner
or a piwis with the right software version and adapter.

maybe a local can help. It takes all of 2 minutes to read the codes and clear them.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:15 AM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I think changing the bulbs to LED did not cause the issue. I changed all my bulbs to LED a few years ago with no ill effect and have a couple of friends who did the same. LEDs draw less power than the old incadecent bulbs, yes, but I fail to see how that triggers your warning lights- unless you created a short somewhere when you changed bulbs. A quick spike can do all kinds of "bad" things with your electronics.
Read the stored codes - that should answer your question.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:39 AM
Sucram
Advanced

Originally Posted by Spyerx

no you’ll need a round plug odb1 connector and either:
durametric pro maybe personal will work
bosch hammer
torre odb scanner
or a piwis with the right software version and adapter.

maybe a local can help. It takes all of 2 minutes to read the codes and clear them.
thanks Spyrex! I have a OBDII to OBDI cable but not sure that a good modern scanner would do anything here as the system in our cars is pre 1996 hence OBDI. Can someone confirm by using a new scanner with a OBDII to OBDI cable would solve something here?
Old 10-24-2018, 11:43 AM
Sucram
Advanced

Originally Posted by cjoenck
I think changing the bulbs to LED did not cause the issue. I changed all my bulbs to LED a few years ago with no ill effect and have a couple of friends who did the same. LEDs draw less power than the old incadecent bulbs, yes, but I fail to see how that triggers your warning lights- unless you created a short somewhere when you changed bulbs. A quick spike can do all kinds of "bad" things with your electronics.
Read the stored codes - that should answer your question.
thanks Cjoenck! I think you’re abosolutely right....when replacing license plate lights with engine and lights on I created a short with a quick spike hence this might very well be the issue of my problem. Other than the airbag and seat belt lights on everything works at it should do no more issues. Is this is the case a quick reset using a scanner would solve my problem I guess. Thoughts? Thanks All!!!
Old 10-24-2018, 01:10 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sucram

thanks Spyrex! I have a OBDII to OBDI cable but not sure that a good modern scanner would do anything here as the system in our cars is pre 1996 hence OBDI. Can someone confirm by using a new scanner with a OBDII to OBDI cable would solve something here?
I don't think it will. You need something that will talk to the Airbag computer the C4 has ODB1 access to: motronic, airbag, abs, alarm, and I think 1 more.

This works well, you will need the round adapter cable. And the software (a freeware software that runs on windows and is old and rudimentary, but it WORKS) is a little clunky:
https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php...4-and-993.html

This is a good tool to have. I use this + a durametric since I have other Porsches with ODBII.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:14 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

A known problem on these cars is the connections that control the warning lights around the clock crack and the airbag and seatbelt lights come on. Happened to me. I had it reset a couple of times but within a day or so the lights came back on. Pulled the clock, sent it in for R&R, got it back, reinstalled and no more warning lights. If I had to bet money I would bet that the clock / gage is your problem. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:39 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
A known problem on these cars is the connections that control the warning lights around the clock crack and the airbag and seatbelt lights come on. Happened to me. I had it reset a couple of times but within a day or so the lights came back on. Pulled the clock, sent it in for R&R, got it back, reinstalled and no more warning lights. If I had to bet money I would bet that the clock / gage is your problem. Good luck.
I believe I may have this same issue as my lights came on right after I had pulled my clock out to install the rennline phone mount. Who did you send your clock to for r&r, and what did you instruct them to do, specifically? Thanks!
Old 10-25-2018, 02:26 AM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

I believe I may have this same issue as my lights came on right after I had pulled my clock out to install the rennline phone mount. Who did you send your clock to for r&r, and what did you instruct them to do, specifically? Thanks!
Had similar issues with my cab when I purchased last year. had the lights reset a couple of times with a Bosch hammer but it kept coming back. Finally sent it over to Buzz at Seattle Speedometer earlier this year and had him go through the clock and check my speedometer gears. That cured my problem. He's over in Ellensburg in eastern WA.

Seattle Speedometer

Last edited by Ralph3.; 10-25-2018 at 02:29 AM. Reason: gramar
Old 10-25-2018, 12:40 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I used North Hollywood Speedometer in North Hollywood California. Told them the problem and that I wanted all the connections checked/repaired, all warning light bulbs replaced and I wanted the gauge to look new when I got it back. They said it would be about a 3-4 day turn around. I sent it to them on Monday. They confirmed that they had it on Tuesday (they are local to me). They called with a full estimate on Wednesday ($250-$300 or so). Had it in my hand and then in the car on Thursday.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: airbag and seat belt lights on