Spoiler won’t go up at speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 01:30 PM
kta
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spoiler won’t go up at speed

Hi All,

Hoping someone could share some insight on this issue? I have a 90’ C4.
This morning while I went on a drive, the spoiler was going up as it should when it reaches the correct speed, and then back down when it went below.

However when I reached my destination and started driving back home on the freeway... I noticed my warning light starting to go on and noticed the spoiler warning light was also on. Basically the spoiler wasn’t raising up at speed anymore. I tried the manual switch and it still would not go up.

When I went below the speed, which I believe is 50mph, the spoiler warning light turned off. So I tested it again on the freeway and the warning light goes on when it hits speed and cannot raise the spoiler. But when the spoiler is supposed to be down and lower speed, the warning light turns off. Part of this tells me it’s functioning like it should in terms of the warning light reflecting when the error is occurring? Minus the physical spoiler going up.

Any thoughts as what I can do to troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Old 10-13-2018, 01:53 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

have someone operate it manually and see if you hear noise.
Good news is warning light is working. So, that most likely rules out the switch, the computer, and the speed sensor.
Probably is: the mechanism, the motor froze, gear box failure, bearing seized.

So run it manually and see if you hear any noise in the back.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:12 AM
kta
Advanced

Thanks Spyerx!

So I removed the cover over the motor... and 2 out of the 3 screws + the washers came loose. While removing the cover, those screws and washers unexpectedly fell. Fortunately, my ninja reflexes caught all them in the air except the washer... which is totally gone. After probing the entire engine bay with a magnet, no luck finding it... so hopefully it just it fell on to the ground somewhere!

Anyways, I put the screws and replacement washers back in place + some thread lock to be on the safe side and the spoiler started working again.

Maybe this is normal, but now I notice when the car starts - the warning light for the spoiler staying down is on for a little while, but then it goes away and the spoiler is operating normally. Maybe I just didn’t realize it before, but is that normal to see the warning light upon start?
Old 10-23-2018, 02:00 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Yes on the light. Goes on then off when you drive away. If light is on while driving spoiler not working right.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:12 AM
kta
Advanced

Thanks again, Spyerx. That definitely was the case! All is good now with that spoiler.

Quick Reply: Spoiler won’t go up at speed