Sponsored by:

Winter project

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 04:22 PM
Forrest Gump 9
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Winter project

I’ve come to the point of comfortably working on my 1989 964 C4 without fear. So last weekend I put a set of JRZ coilovers on it and it was surprisingly easy. Two days later, I upgraded the headlight bulbs to LED 6k. And that was easier than replacing the headlight on my 280z.
This weekend I started changing the belts and decided to take the fan, fan housing, and alternator out. Cleaned the fan and housing up and painted them. While everything is still apart in the engine bay I may go ahead and change the spark plugs, wires, caps, and rotors too.
What else should I tend to while I’m in the working mood? I want to adjust the valves and tackle the leaky lower valve cover but those seem a little daunting. Oh yeah, fuel filter also done.
Any suggestion/pointer will be greatly appreciate.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:29 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Lower valve covers are easy enough. Getting the cat off may require a bit of persuasion- read brute force for the four bolts - but that's it. If your lower valve covers are leaking take a look at the chain covers, they usually leak at some point. Other suggestions are brake pads, disks, oil lines, oil cooler resistor, brake fluid change, power steering fluid change, distributor caps and rotors. Do an oil change before she gets parked for the winter.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:08 PM
Forrest Gump 9
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just finished the valves adjustment, remove the side engine tins really help. I’ll button everything up tomorrow and hopefully the engine will start up.

Quick Reply: Winter project